Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you keep spending records on your bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 06:13 AM
tbo

Bikes: 2018 Trek FX7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I got a new (to me) bike and I have starting to track spending on this new bike and whatever expenses I remember or put together on my existing bikes. This is hobby only, no flipping, though occasionally a bike may be sold to keep the fleet at a reasonable number.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I like knowing how much $$$ is being spent or not. I will keep tracking for now. I am being scrupulous about even assigning costs to each bike from stuff in the parts bin for cables, pads, a reflector, etc. Even tools, if purchased for a specific task.

Do you track your bike spending or not?
Old 03-28-17, 06:17 AM
Niteshooter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NO! Bad news if the wife finds it!!!
Old 03-28-17, 06:25 AM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
No. I keep mental notes of what has been purchased and how much it was, but I don't write it down for fear of knowing what the total REALLY is
Old 03-28-17, 06:28 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I feel the same way, I keep general mental record but nothing too detailed. That way I can tell myself I didnt spend as much as I probably did.
Old 03-28-17, 06:34 AM
tbo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Niteshooter
NO! Bad news if the wife finds it!!!
, but not a problem in this case. She commutes to work on a bike. The bikes save us from having a second car. The one car we do have is 6.5 years old with 25K miles on it. In suburban FL, that's not bad.

Originally Posted by Essthreetee
No. I keep mental notes of what has been purchased and how much it was, but I don't write it down for fear of knowing what the total REALLY is
Yeah, that's about where I am, leaning slightly more towards having a better picture. That wanting to know is winning, at least at the moment.
Old 03-28-17, 06:46 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
no way, takes the fun out of the build. Unless i'm building it up for somebody else.
Old 03-28-17, 06:58 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Of course! Between saving for retirement, saving for a house and keeping my emergency fund topped up I need to monitor bike spending just like everything else. I keep a detailed spreadsheet with a tab for each month and record every purchase I make.

For flips I monitor everything I spend to make sure I'm at least making something, on paper. Also helps to true up with the taxman at the end of the year if I end up making enough.
Old 03-28-17, 07:00 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 937 Posts
The amount of money I hemorrhage into bikes would be utterly shocking if I were to see it written out.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-28-17, 07:11 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
When I was flipping and collecting I kept very detailed excel spreadsheets. Now its mental notes, but I don't buy anything that I cold lose money on.
Old 03-28-17, 07:14 AM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
I'm not obsessive, but I keep a running list of purchases, noting item, date purchased, price and source.

I also keep a separate file of components by category (brakes, hubs, stems, bars, pedals, etc.). It helps me plan builds, and know that I really DON'T need that lovely hubset on offer, as I have three NOS sets already!!!

It's less to track expenditures, but more on inventory control. Plus, if I do want to sell something, I can quickly find what I paid for it. I do find that I don't remember prices paid - except for the occasional outrageous deals!
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 03-28-17, 07:29 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
No I don't, but I think my wife does.
Old 03-28-17, 07:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Yup, a spreadsheet where each bike I have bought has its own tab. All costs are included for all bikes. Anything thats then been swapped to another bike is then changed accordingly. I also have a tab where 'bike parts' is listed for when I pull something off but dont use it right away on another bike, it goes to that tab and sits.

Everything I have refurbished and sold is tracked. Same with anything I have donated to our collective(full bikes, frames, components).
I count everything down to cables and housing. Cable ends and grease are where i end though...I dont count those on a per bike basis.
The only semi-difficult part is assigning vale to components I pull off a bike for use or assigning value for used components. I subtract the value of components from the bike's initial purchase price and need to remember to assign the same value to the bike said components go to.

There is also an overview tab listing every bike, the amount currently invested in each bike, and if sold or donated the amount I got. I count donated value the same as cash in hand(funny I take this liberty when i admittedly am precise for the rest of the process).

This is done for all bikes I have ever purchased as an adult as well as all my family's bikes. It started because I wanted to understand how much I was spending and just grew from there. Its not really a hassle because I have a template to use for each new bike so adding one in is simple.

At this point, I consider it a game and a hobby in and of itself. My goal is to get to a point where all the bikes I(we) own are effectively paid for by all the refurbished and donated bikes I have(and will) work on.
Pretty sure Ill never reach that goal, but its fun to try. Every bike I refurbish or donate means Im $40 closer!...assuming we dont then buy more, which is hardly realistic.
Old 03-28-17, 08:09 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Not having things on paper means I can more easily convince myself I broke even when it comes time to sell.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-28-17, 08:14 AM
tbo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yup, a spreadsheet where each bike I have bought has its own tab. All costs are included for all bikes. Anything thats then been swapped to another bike is then changed accordingly. I also have a tab where 'bike parts' is listed for when I pull something off but dont use it right away on another bike, it goes to that tab and sits.

Everything I have refurbished and sold is tracked. Same with anything I have donated to our collective(full bikes, frames, components).
I count everything down to cables and housing. Cable ends and grease are where i end though...I dont count those on a per bike basis...

There is also an overview tab listing every bike, the amount currently invested in each bike, and if sold or donated the amount I got...

At this point, I consider it a game and a hobby in and of itself.
I get the tracking as a game and hobby in and of itself.

I'm also glad to see that tracking seems to be a personal thing and I wasn't being crazy about being ambivalent.

Also glad that it's not a cause for a BF religious war. No comments implying "Of course you should track - how could you not up to now? You're out of the club" or "No way - tracking is evil and takes all the fun out of C&V. You must be banished."
Old 03-28-17, 08:23 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
I do, just as I do with my cars. For the bikes it just so I can track spending. For the cars though it's helped greatly when selling the last two.
Old 03-28-17, 09:20 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Tracking bike expenditures? That's just crazy talk!
Old 03-28-17, 09:21 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by tbo
I get the tracking as a game and hobby in and of itself.

I'm also glad to see that tracking seems to be a personal thing and I wasn't being crazy about being ambivalent.

Also glad that it's not a cause for a BF religious war. No comments implying "Of course you should track - how could you not up to now? You're out of the club" or "No way - tracking is evil and takes all the fun out of C&V. You must be banished."
Yeah, there are so many varied interests on this forum that it'd be tough to get a consensus on something like tracking $ spent.
Some want a bike to be exact original when refurbished. Some want a bike to be ridden to show it respect. Some want a bike to be a mix of old and new. With so many approaches, there is rarely anything that can be fully agreed on as being wrong.
Old 03-28-17, 10:25 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Compile evidence that can later be used against me? There's a brilliant idea I wish I'd never heard of.
Old 03-28-17, 10:38 AM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
I kept a pretty good on my last build , I'll never do that again .
Old 03-28-17, 10:43 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
No, that would mean having to put a value on everything in my parts bin. Too much work. As long as there's something left over at the end of the month I'm good.

No complaints from mrs non-fixie yet. She tried the "but you already have a bike" line once or twice, to which my answer would be "but not this one yet". When I showed up with two identical bikes (only a two cm size difference) within a fortnight she gave up.

Old 03-28-17, 10:54 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
No.

Ignorance is bliss.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 03-28-17, 10:54 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heck no. Bikes aren't an investment. I don't want to know how much money I've poured into them.
Old 03-28-17, 11:09 AM
tbo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
I kept a pretty good on my last build , I'll never do that again .
We'll see how it goes on this build and how crazy I want to get digging up old dirt on the other bikes.

It seems that "Oh my gosh no!" or some variant is the most preferred response here.
Old 03-28-17, 11:37 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I keep a detailed spreadsheet. My problem is I don't always inventory parts acquire when not purchased for a specific build, then I have to make educated guesses.
Old 03-28-17, 11:38 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I don't bother with it, although if I flipped a lot of bikes it would probably make sense.

What I really should do is keep a maintenance record, so I can avoid things like looking at a wheelset and having no idea whether it's been two weeks or two years since I did the hubs. And I don't even have that many bikes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.