Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Finding the correct grip shifter to match my derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 10:39 PM
Rick7A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a used Giant Sedona LX hybrid style bike. I estimate it to be 10 years old. Works fine, but the grip shifters were thrashed - gooey and hard to move. So, based on a little research I bought a pair of "Shimano Tourney SL-RS47 Revo 3x8-Speed Shifters" on Amazon for $26. When I replaced the left shifter, however, it simply does not give the range of motion to move the Shimano C101 derailleur enough to use all 3 gears. Even using the fine adjustment knob by the shifter I can only adjust it to get gears 1/2 or gears 2/3.

Specifically, when the grip shifter is set to 1 I am on gear 1. When I shift to 2 I am still on gear 1 - there was not enough movement of the derailleur to move the chain onto gear to, but when I shift to 3 on the grip shifter, the chain moves to gear 2. But from there the grip shifter won't turn any more so there is no way to get the chain onto gear 3. Or if I do some adjusting, I can get it to where at setting 1 the chain is on gear 2, and then moving to gear 3 moves the chain to gear 3.

It would appear that not all grip shifters work correctly with all derailleurs - not even Shimano to Shimano. The grip shifter that was on the bike says Centera SRAM. I did not attempt to replace the right/8x shifter. So questions:

1. Am I correct that a grip shifter must be matched to the derailleur to work correctly?
2. If so, how do I find out which specific grip shifter is right for my bike?
3. If I go to a friction-style grip shifter, instead of the index-style... would that guarantee that it will work?
4. I see a Centera SRAM shifter set on Amazon for a little more money. Is there any guarantee that will work?
5. Is this whole process trial and error? (which could get expensive!)
6. Could it be this is a matter of adjusting the derailleur? (doesn't seem like it - the shifter simply does not seem to move the derailleur enough)

Last edited by Rick7A; 08-03-18 at 10:54 PM. Reason: More clarification.
Old 08-04-18, 05:55 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
[QUOTE=Rick7A;20487389]I bought a used Giant Sedona LX hybrid style bike. I estimate it to be 10 years old. Works fine, but the grip shifters were thrashed - gooey and hard to move. So, based on a little research I bought a pair of "Shimano Tourney SL-RS47 Revo 3x8-Speed Shifters" on Amazon for $26. When I replaced the left shifter, however, it simply does not give the range of motion to move the Shimano C101 derailleur enough to use all 3 gears. Even using the fine adjustment knob by the shifter I can only adjust it to get gears 1/2 or gears 2/3.

Specifically, when the grip shifter is set to 1 I am on gear 1. When I shift to 2 I am still on gear 1 - there was not enough movement of the derailleur to move the chain onto gear to, but when I shift to 3 on the grip shifter, the chain moves to gear 2. But from there the grip shifter won't turn a

1. Am I correct that a grip shifter must be matched to the derailleur to work correctly?

Yes.

2. If so, how do I find out which specific grip shifter is right for my bike?

Road fd needs road shifter and vice versa.

3. If I go to a friction-style grip shifter, instead of the index-style... would that guarantee that it will work?

Should be. Friction shifter does not care the spacing between chainring.

4. I see a Centera SRAM shifter set on Amazon for a little more money. Is there any guarantee that will work?

No answer.

5. Is this whole process trial and error? (which could get expensive!)

No. Determine if your crankset (and fd) is road or mountain and then buy the right one.

6. Could it be this is a matter of adjusting the derailleur? (doesn't seem like it - the shifter simply does not seem to move the derailleur enough)

Possible if the cable is slack.
Old 08-04-18, 06:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Rick, welcome to the forum. Have you adjusted the limit screws on the derailleur?

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment

Were the twist shifters you took off of the bike Shimano or Sram/Grip Shift? If they were SRAM, you'll likely have to replace them with SRAM, unless they were SRAM MRX which was designed to be used with Shimano. If the ones you removed were Shimano, then the ones you bought should work using the link to adjust them.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 08-04-18 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 01:27 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
From what I can find, the Shimano C-101 front derailleur has the same pull as a mountain bike derailleur so it should work with the Revoshift twist shifters. Revoshift is only Mtb compatible.

I would not replace the shifters, if anything, I would replace the C-101 derailleur if you can't get it to work by adjusting the cable/limit screws. If you disconnect the shifter cable from the derailleur, you can move the derailleur by hand to see if it moves far enough. If there is too much play in the derailleur, it could effect shifting. That derailleur had a pretty bad reputation.

I understand your old shifter needed to be replaced, but there may have been an issue with the front derailleur.

​​​​​​​John
Old 08-04-18, 03:26 PM
Rick7A

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The grip shifters that came off were SRAM grip shift... silly me - ha - I thought a Shimano grip shift would work with a Shimano derailleur! Actually, after more tinkering I seem to be very close, so I think my next move will be to adjust the derailleur a little, as you suggest. Interesting that the rear 8X shifter went on and adjusted pretty easily. I also found an exhaustive PDF from Shimano that seemed to include compatibility charts for all of their products; all EXCEPT my front derailleur (C101)... maybe its just a really old bike. But as it stands I have a 2X8, and worst case all I have to do is by a shifter - maybe an SRAM - for the front.
Old 08-04-18, 03:29 PM
Rick7A

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the answers. I got the rear 8X on with very little problem, and seem to be very close on the front 3X... so I'll try adjusting the derailleur. I think my front derailleur is very old (Shimano c101) since I can't even find it on an exhaustive list of Shimano components. I'm also starting to think this bike has been around the block a few times and is a bit of a frankenstein - which I have now added even more non-original parts too! Next purchase - a bike repair stand - too old to be crawling around on the garage floor!
Old 08-05-18, 09:18 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Did you route the cable correctly at the front derailleur ? It is not obvious as to exactly where it should go, and on some FD, it does not go where most of us would think that it goes.

SRAM's Centera, like their MRX series is for Shimano derailleurs.

Personally, I find front derailleurs a pain in ____; and changed most of my bikes to 1X configurations which is more than adequate for my riding.
Old 08-05-18, 09:50 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I stayed with friction shifting my FD, in spite of the marketing ..

OTOH, on an IGH, I like the ability to roll thru the whole range..

and a Grip shifter on an IGH does offer that (Sram i-9) even stopped.

Old 08-05-18, 08:53 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
As already mentioned, SRAM made Shimano Gripshift compatible shifters, so don't swap out your left (FD) shifter. SRAM MRX was their lower end shifters. There are better vintage Shimano compatible SRAM Gripshift shifters such as Attack and X-ray, but for your application I'd stick with the Revoshift.

John