Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Upgrading from 9 speed ST to 9 speed Hollow Tech II

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 10:04 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

One of my bikes has a FSA Vero Triple with a square bracket mated with Tiagra 4500 (9 speed). It works great.

But I wanted to upgrade to a two piece crankset and the Shimano Sora 3503 Triple (9 speed) and Hollow Tech II bottom bracket can be had for under $100.

But a few compatibilty quetsions arise in particular:

a) Will the chainline be correct with the 3503 Crankset?
b) The FD is Sora 3503 so I don't see any issues there
c) Anything else I should be aware of?
Old 10-09-18, 05:45 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Hi,

One of my bikes has a FSA Vero Triple with a square bracket mated with Tiagra 4500 (9 speed). It works great.
What do you expect to gain with this change? Sounds tough to improve upon "great".
Old 10-09-18, 05:55 AM
FullSpeedAgain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You would get some more stiffness while stroking the left pedal and save some weight but maybe it has more sense to save that money to upgrade to a 2x11 105 groupset in a future.
Old 10-09-18, 10:17 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
What do you expect to gain with this change? Sounds tough to improve upon "great".
I should hae articulated better, to say "it shifts great".

Originally Posted by FullSpeedAgain
You would get some more stiffness while stroking the left pedal and save some weight but maybe it has more sense to save that money to upgrade to a 2x11 105 groupset in a future.
Yes, I was hoping for stiffness.
Old 10-09-18, 10:21 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
That should work fine. Charline and der compatibility should be the same.
Old 10-09-18, 01:19 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. Just ordered.

Will update you when they arrive

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Originally Posted by cpach
That should work fine. Charline and der compatibility should be the same.
Old 10-09-18, 03:32 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Will update you when they arrive
Dang man, that is not an upgrade at all.
Old 10-10-18, 10:55 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Hi,

But I wanted to upgrade to a two piece crankset and the Shimano Sora 3503 Triple (9 speed) and Hollow Tech II bottom bracket can be had for under $100.

But a few compatibilty quetsions arise in particular:

a) Will the chainline be correct with the 3503 Crankset?
b) The FD is Sora 3503 so I don't see any issues there
c) Anything else I should be aware of?
c) outboard bearings die fast(er than inboard bearings).
Old 10-10-18, 11:38 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
If you're sensitive, you'll notice the change between the two types of bottom brackets dramatically. Especially depending on how many miles you have on the old one. I would spend the extra 25 bucks for a dura ace level BB.

It is good to keep in mind that the outboard BB's are meant to be changed out more often. But at the cost of $25 I find it is more than adequate.
Old 10-10-18, 04:48 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by pressed001
If you're sensitive, you'll notice the change between the two types of bottom brackets dramatically. Especially depending on how many miles you have on the old one. I would spend the extra 25 bucks for a dura ace level BB.

It is good to keep in mind that the outboard BB's are meant to be changed out more often. But at the cost of $25 I find it is more than adequate.
That's baloney, there's no way he'll notice any difference at all except placebo.
Old 10-11-18, 11:11 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Originally Posted by shoota
That's baloney, there's no way he'll notice any difference at all except placebo.
Do, enlighten us.
Old 10-11-18, 11:59 AM
TallRider

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My guess is that most differences in feel will be placebo, although a well-constructed blind test wouldn't be too difficult to execute. Or even without blind tests, you could combine a pedal-based power meter with a rear-wheel-based power meter, and see whether there's any difference in actual power transfer between square-taper and integrated/outboard.
More to the point, I'd assume that manufacturers have conducted these tests, and the fact that we haven't heard about them is probably evidence that they didn't show a meaningful difference. Much easier to claim "twice as stiff" than to talk about 0.004% increase in power transfer efficiency.

Stiffness differences can be calculated (e.g., concrete surface is 3x as hard as asphalt surface) but that doesn't mean those differences actually matter. For cycling, the meaningful questions for improvement with integrated BB/outboard bearings are
a) do they increase power transfer to the rear wheel
b) do they decrease chain rub
c) how does the durability compare

My sense is that differences will be marginal at best, and are most likely to matter for really powerful sprinters. Then again, Tom Boonen won the 2005 worlds on Campy square-taper while a majority of his competitors were on integrated BB. (Campy switched to an integrated system the next year)

Biggest practical knock on integrated BB systems is there's no mechanism for chainline adjustment. That said, integrated systems designed for road chainline should work fine with your road bike.

Last edited by TallRider; 10-11-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 01:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I don't see a cost benefit here minimal difference in performance for ..$100 for crank and BB, when you could do an upgrade to 10 speed tiagra for $400 with all new everything https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shima...uble-groupset/

Old 10-12-18, 02:53 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

I must admit that I didn't think the ST vs. external bearing issue was such a hot debate. Found a great write-up here.

Also I must correct myself and say that I went from an ISIS BB to an external and noticed a night and day difference.
Old 10-13-18, 10:38 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
Originally Posted by hermanchauw
c) outboard bearings die fast(er than inboard bearings).
I haven't found this to be the case. 20K+ miles on a 105 level HT II BB so far.
Old 10-13-18, 05:32 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
From what I have observed owning and servicing a lot of both types, the 'shorter' life of the outboard depends on if the cartridges are properly greased from the get go. Sometimes a manufacturer, particularly an aftermarket can spec a generic bearing and not what grease is installed in said unit. That is clearly not as much the case with the older sealed cartridge bb assembly was not as dependent on pre-made cartridges therefore less variability. Every once in a while I have opened an external bb cartridge(and other places) and found a minimal amount of lubrication installed. As a response I have taken the policy to check when they are openable(of course) and supplement any periodic lacks.
Old 11-05-18, 05:25 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay. I installed FC-3503 and rode it for 300 miles now

Originally Posted by shoota
Dang man, that is not an upgrade at all.
Actually it was a huge upgrade in stifness, shifting quality and general smoothness. I'm not sure if this is due to: i) Shimano vs FSA quality and/or ii) BB cartridge vs external bearings or iii) 2-piece vs 3-piece cranksets. I tend to think its all and soley i) casues the shifting improvement (the FD is the Shimano FD-3503 which matches the crankset).

Originally Posted by pressed001
I must admit that I didn't think the ST vs. external bearing issue was such a hot debate. Found a great write-up here.
Also I must correct myself and say that I went from an ISIS BB to an external and noticed a night and day difference.
Whilst I agree with you about the difference, I think that writeup is not appropriate for this discussion. They are referring to differences felt b/w external bearings in wider BB (i.e. PFBB86) standards and ST BB cartridges in 68mm. But I was referring to the same BB width but replacing the 3piece ST with an Hollow-tech style external bearing 2 piece crankset.

Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa
From what I have observed owning and servicing a lot of both types, the 'shorter' life of the outboard depends on if the cartridges are properly greased from the get go. Sometimes a manufacturer, particularly an aftermarket can spec a generic bearing and not what grease is installed in said unit. That is clearly not as much the case with the older sealed cartridge bb assembly was not as dependent on pre-made cartridges therefore less variability. Every once in a while I have opened an external bb cartridge(and other places) and found a minimal amount of lubrication installed. As a response I have taken the policy to check when they are openable(of course) and supplement any periodic lacks.
Wow that's a lot of insight. So the take away message is after-market BB can be problematic? What exactly is after-market vs not here: Chin Haur vs Shimano?