Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

help with brake squeal

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

help with brake squeal

Old 12-04-18, 08:41 PM
wc1472

Bikes: 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
help with brake squeal

hey all, i have an 80s-ish era road bike with centerpull brakes, the right brake recently started squealing pretty badly. the brakes aren't really toe-able as they are right now but as far as i can tell nothing has changed and the rim seems like it's in good condition? i'm not sure if it's dirty or something but i don't really know of anything that would have caused it, and i had been riding it for about two months with no noise.
Old 12-04-18, 09:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
There are many threads on this topic. Some will give advice we will lack to repost so try a search or two.

Brake squeal is from a very high rate of grab/release/grab/release between the pads and the rim. So anything you can do to change the way the pads interact with the rim might be the solution. As bike get ridden they suffer from all kinds of wear, contaminate (oils, grime, dirt, water), pads harden, pad contact surface shape/area with the rim changes, brake pivots change in their slop, rim brake track surface textures change.

I've chased so many noisy brakes and tried all the standard tricks, even less common ones like toe out pads or reversing off center pads on their mounts. The one trick that I have found is a last resort the almost always works is dirt between the pad and rim. Yes, common garden dirt. I suspect this lessens the grib and therefore the release and regrab that's the cycle of a high pitch vibration. Andy