Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Round trip of about 120 to 140 miles in England

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 11:43 AM
lozfuller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Trying to organise a round trip on hybrid bikes over 3 to 4 days (around 35-40 miles per day), somewhere in England. Would like to see a bit of the coast and nice countryside, but preferably not too hilly, and initial thoughts were Suffolk or Sussex, but open to any suggestions.

Has anyone discovered any nice routes in those or other counties. We'd like to stay in B&Bs/hotels, so would like to have overnight stops at some nice and reasonably sized towns.

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Thanks,

Loz
Old 01-07-19, 03:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
What do you want to see?

Cyclist touring club UK is at https://www.cyclinguk.org/ Join / then chat them up,? and Hostel international https://www.hihostels.com/

I like Hostels, as a Solo Traveler..

If you get a (Ordinance Survey) paper map , you can plan a loop, note the towns and look up their tourist centers ..

Before the internet I'd find the tourist Information Centre.. usually on the town center and ask in person..

British nation also has Tourist information .. https://www.visitbritain.com/us/en

Old 01-08-19, 02:44 AM
lozfuller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks for the advice fietsbob - I will take a look at those suggestions. Apologies, I've just realised that this is an American forum, so may not have been the most appropriate forum to ask this question....
Old 01-08-19, 03:57 AM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by lozfuller
Hi,

Trying to organise a round trip on hybrid bikes over 3 to 4 days (around 35-40 miles per day), somewhere in England. Would like to see a bit of the coast and nice countryside, but preferably not too hilly, and initial thoughts were Suffolk or Sussex, but open to any suggestions.

Has anyone discovered any nice routes in those or other counties. We'd like to stay in B&Bs/hotels, so would like to have overnight stops at some nice and reasonably sized towns.

Thanks,

Loz
https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map

That's a map of the UK showing the official cycle routes. Zoom in on your area of interest.

Alternatively try https://cycle.travel/map. It will plot a loop route of your desired distance and can show accommodation options along or close to your route.
Old 01-08-19, 11:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FYI, there are regional sub forums, like for UK , Here, though many don't find it initially ..

there are people from around the globe posting here ... but the site Host is in the US.

Old 01-10-19, 11:44 AM
lozfuller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great - thanks for all the advice!!
Old 01-10-19, 04:44 PM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In 2016 I rode England from Blackpool through the Lake District east into Northumbria - Hadrian's Wall, north to Glasgow-Loch Lomond then down the Kintyre Peninsula to Cambeltown. After Ireland and France I came back via Poole, Salisbury, Bosworth Field, the Peak District and then ended in Blackpool (my childhood home).

The worst of England has the most overloaded roadway infrastructure I've ever seen. Narrow "A" and "B" roads between stone walls and thick hedges with absolutely no space to ride beyond the fog stripe. Only the general courteousness of drivers over there made these road survivable at all. In my one time transit impression this applied anywhere within a day's drive of London (Stonehenge and Almsbury for example).

On the National Bicycle Routes, don't depend on signs to follow them, trying to do that I got hopeless lost in Glasgow and even in rural areas many turns were not marked. Also, they seem to have laid out the routes with no regard to contour lines. I'm recalling on day three absolutely beating my self up on a steep hillclimb in Northumbria when I happened to look down to the road I had just left to find THAT road fairly level, shorter, and lightly traveled.

Worst was when I tried to follow the Pennine Route north from the High Peaks. OMG, north through a series of steep-sided east-west valleys, down so steep I was worrying about my brakes fading and some climbs it was hard to walk, much less cycle. On the last day I made 65 miles, because by then it was a weekend and the MAMILs (middle-aged men in lycra as they call them ) were out in force, in-between a steep drop and an excruciating climb I happened to cross a highway that British cyclists actually use. One gentleman gave me directions for how HE would get to Blackpool, it wasn't an official bicycle route, following THEM would have cost a whole extra day.

I would guess British cycling talk forums are your friend here when planning a trip.

Last edited by Sharpshin; 01-11-19 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-10-19, 11:23 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
There are a number of videos for Hadrian's wall. Looks well organized. The Beard Brothers have uploaded a few trips on Youtube
Old 01-12-19, 09:25 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by lozfuller
Hi,

Thanks,

Loz
Have a squiz on the Crazy Guy on a bike forum for more ideas.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/locales/?doctype=journal&locale_id=226&page=1
Lots of canals and cycle paths to help avoid main roads in the UK.

A while ago on one of the forums I was reading of someone cycling, I believe, from Heathrow and following canal paths for large parts of their journey to Wales.

If I can find it I'll leave a link.

I was interested in it due to having an Aunt in Cardiff I'd like to visit before its too late.

Last edited by rifraf; 01-12-19 at 09:36 AM.