Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Best 29er hardtail frame to build?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 01-26-19, 07:06 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

I've been out of the mtb scene for a few years but want to build a hardtail frame for a new ride to help spark my interest in riding again. I'm looking to buy a bare 29in hardtail frame in the $1,000 +/- range and want something that's somewhat lightweight to start with. My last bike which I gave to my son was a Scott Scale with a full 2x xt build with hydro brakes, Haven wheels, carbon bar, and Recon Gold 100mm shock. That bike weighed right at 26lbs in an xl frame which is where I'd like to be or a bit lighter, I figure going 1x with higher end fork, and about 6 years newer frame tech that goal should be easy to obtain. I've been looking at frames and have no clue what brands to look at or where to buy one to score a deal. I also wouldn't be completely against buying a complete bike and upgrading components as I go which is what I did with the Scott.

I guess I could just ask this, if you had a grand to buy a 29er frame to build or lets say $1,500 for a complete bike to upgrade later on what would you buy?

Last edited by dvdslw; 01-26-19 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-26-19, 06:37 PM
dvdslw

Wow, must have been a loaded question? 139 views and not one response.
Old 01-26-19, 09:05 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Hard tail carbon you could source for $1000, easily aluminum.

Or do you want full suspension ?

Doubt you could finish the build for another $500. Decent wheels alone are $450. Shimano XT group is north of $500. Then you need the bar, stem, headset, seatpost, saddle, so another $200 ?.

Biggest issue is a LOT has changed since you last looked at mt. bikes. 29” wheels are the norm and the geometry of the bikes has drastically changed. Thus it might make sense to test ride a bunch of bikes. And as it’s always cheaper to buy a complete bike as opposed to building from parts, I’m certain with a $1500 price point you’d find a really good bike.

Only method to save money is to buy Chinese carbon for $500 or source I expensive aluminum.
Old 01-27-19, 06:24 AM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Hard tail carbon you could source for $1000, easily aluminum. Or do you want full suspension ?
Hey Steve, I'm looking for a Hardtail and most certainly aluminum. I'm a big guy so I just can't put my trust into carbon for a mtb. I also had a friend who cracked his brand new frame when he crashed into some rocks with his brand new bike.

To be honest, I have only been looking at potential bikes to purchase for a few days and I'm leaning towards a complete bike now. I have found that most bikes in the $1,200- $1,500 range have pretty decent components and there's a few closeouts locally that look appealing. I love building a bike from the frame up but I would like to start riding right away. I have to keep telling myself what I'm buying this bike for, its not to race, its to stay healthy and ride with my teenage sons so no need to go overboard.

I've always been a XT/Ultegra level kind of guy and drooled over XTR/Dura Ace components but never spent the extra dough to get the good stuff. To be honest, I'd probably be happy with a $800 bike too. I just want the best aluminum frame I can possibly get within my price range to use as a foundation to upgrade as I go.

Last edited by dvdslw; 01-27-19 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-27-19, 12:51 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
I'm a big guy so I just can't put my trust into carbon for a mtb.
Big as in tall?

I just want the best aluminum frame I can possibly get within my price range to use as a foundation to upgrade as I go.
This is generally a bad idea as standards change, especially in the last 5 years. If a new wheel or fork standard comes out, your frame is now older (but still useable) technology and you'll have a limited upgrade selection.
Likes For katsup:
Old 01-28-19, 06:36 AM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by katsup
Big as in tall?
Yes, 6'4 and 240lbs.

I'm not worried too much about the frame becoming obsolete but I'd like to get something at least current. I am trying to school myself on axle standards and which forks are good and/or bad. I know I want a 29in wheel, 1x, and aluminum frame. Just don't know if I want a Specialized, Cannondale, Felt, Scott, Trek, Sana Cruz, etc...??? I'm off Wednesday and I plan to go ride everything I can find and hope one of them speaks to me. I don't want carbon but I found a local dealer that has a leftover Carbon Epic Hardtail from 2017 for $1,900 and I'm afraid that if I ride it I'll like it. That, and I see Specialized has an aluminum Full Suspension Stumpjumper, I've never owned a full suspension bike but I plan to test this one out too.

Last edited by dvdslw; 01-28-19 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 07:16 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
You probably did not get more responses because you did not give enough info.

What kind of riding do you do? More XC/racing focus or want something a bit slacker and more all around playful? You like to plow through the rough stuff or pick your way through it? Do you like to drop off of stuff?

At your weight, your own level of finesse and smoothness will make a big difference in terms of trashing wheels and drivetrains.

For a $1500 budget, and starting from (I assume) scratch, I think you doing the right thing looking for a complete bike.

Are you dead set on Al, or is steel an option?
Old 01-28-19, 11:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Manufacturing in Taiwan makes Many brands in a very few factories, for multiple importing customers .. those are the brand names you are familiar with.

Which ones does your local bike shop sell?
Old 01-28-19, 11:54 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Yes, 6'4 and 240lbs.
The manufacture Bulls is clearancing out their 2016 stock on eBay. There is one hardtail left in XL (search Bulls Copperhead). It is aluminium, but does have 27.5" wheels and is 2x, the later can be easily converted to 1x. The bike is XC and does not have boost wheels. The bike is well within your budget, but arrives in a box and does need to be put together.

I have no affiliation with them, but I did buy one of their bikes from this clearance.
Old 01-29-19, 06:37 AM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by Kapusta
You probably did not get more responses because you did not give enough info.

What kind of riding do you do? More XC/racing focus or want something a bit slacker and more all around playful? You like to plow through the rough stuff or pick your way through it? Do you like to drop off of stuff?

At your weight, your own level of finesse and smoothness will make a big difference in terms of trashing wheels and drivetrains.

For a $1500 budget, and starting from (I assume) scratch, I think you doing the right thing looking for a complete bike.

Are you dead set on Al, or is steel an option?
I would say I'm looking for something a bit slacker, I like to climb hills, go fast, but mostly trail riding with some paved/chip seal/gravel roads as well. I also used my previous mtb to commute to work with an urban assault mentality a few times a week.

I am leaning towards aluminum because even though I'm a big guy, I can appreciate the feel of a lightweight bike beneath me. Carbon just gives me pause, I'd hate to just fall over on the bike and need a frame. Haven't seen any steel options out there but to be honest I haven't looked.

I'm open to suggestions, I also find myself looking at a few full suspension bikes that fit into my price range.
Old 01-29-19, 08:40 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How about a NukeProof Scout https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod170324
Old 01-29-19, 09:28 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Good Selection here...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Mountain-B...1000&maxP=2000
Old 01-30-19, 07:05 AM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by hig4s
Looks promising but all options are out of stock.
Old 01-30-19, 09:33 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Looks promising but all options are out of stock.
There are a couple of dealers in the US,, this is the closest one.
Ride Smooth Brother LLC
475 Royal Pines Drive, Arden, NC 28704
Tel: +001 828 301 7700
ridesmoothbro@gmail.com
www.ridesmoothbrother.com
Old 01-30-19, 10:03 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
dont get 27.5. at least 29, and consider 29+ capability.

Where do you live?

Money goes into forks, rims (hopefully carbon) before the frame. Also, 203 mm disc brakes probably.

It doesnt matter how epically awesome your frame is, if you do not a have a fork that you can make work with your weight, you will have a miserable time.
Old 01-30-19, 10:05 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 146 Posts
Depedning on where you live, the Sram, especially the 12, annihilates the Shimano stuff. If you dont need the 12, the Sram 11 is a fantastic bargain. (if you ride in Florida 11 is plenty and weighs significantly less than 12)

Last edited by Reynolds 531; 01-30-19 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 01:24 PM
hig4s

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you are considering a complete bike, check AJ's Bikes and Boards in Valrico. They carry Specialized, Giant, and Pivot. They usually have some good deals and decent used bikes.
Old 01-30-19, 04:17 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would say I'm looking for something a bit slacker, I like to climb hills, go fast, but mostly trail riding with some paved/chip seal/gravel roads as well. I also used my previous mtb to commute to work with an urban assault mentality a few times a week.

I am leaning towards aluminum because even though I'm a big guy, I can appreciate the feel of a lightweight bike beneath me. Carbon just gives me pause, I'd hate to just fall over on the bike and need a frame. Haven't seen any steel options out there but to be honest I haven't looked.

I'm open to suggestions, I also find myself looking at a few full suspension bikes that fit into my price range.
At $1,500 you need to decide how important full suspension is to you, because at that price you are getting an OK FS bike, or a pretty good HT. How important FS is to you is completely personal. For me, my back will simply not tolerate a HT as my only bike, so I might be looking at a FS. But if my back were 25 years younger I would go with the hard tail..... and take better care of my back

The other thing to consider is if you want a bike with standard or plus size tires. Again, that is up to you, but personally, I would go with either a plus-sized HT or a standard FS.

Oh, and leave some money for a dropper post.

Good luck.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-31-19, 06:21 AM
dvdslw

Thanks for the responses guys, I've been out to the local stores and have pretty much confused myself. I started out wanting an inexpensive hardtail and may still go that route upgrading as I go. I really like the Scott Scale 950 for $1,500 that is the lightest stock aluminum hardtail out there, comes with a Fox Fork (32), and Sram 12 Speed.

Either that bike or I'll have to save some more cash to buy a FS bike which from what I see decent ones start at $3,000

But lets not forget I could buy an awesome frame and start accumulating parts to build a dream bike. I am at that midlife crisis age.

My biggest problem is I'm cash poor at the moment and want to ride so it'll take time to build one or buy something out of my budget.
Old 01-31-19, 09:11 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So you are a bit of a weight weenie. Your goal is light and ....

What fork? That's where I'd start. Tapered, or straight steer tube. That will dictate the frame availability.

The money will add up real quick. I dunno about $1K frame ... Why? You can break a frame in some big jumps/drops. So consider it the expendable piece. All the other stuff can move. Get a generic frame off eBay and build what you want. Or, go first cabin and just budget for a Moots frame
Old 01-31-19, 11:49 AM
hig4s

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Either that bike or I'll have to save some more cash to buy a FS bike which from what I see decent ones start at $3,000.
FS is more about rear suspension design, the Giant Trance 3, starting at $2000, has the same frame design as the top of the line Trance, making it very up-gradable. Of all the bikes I have ridden in the 140 to 150mm range it is my second favorite, my Evil Insurgent is my favorite. At almost half the price, I almost bought the Trance instead. I feel it is the best bang for the buck. Other bikes I rode and liked were the Salsa Redpoint, Santa Cruz Bronson, and Cannondale Habit. Rode a couple of Pivots, (liked the older ones better) a Rocky Mountain Altitude and a Specialized Stump Jumper, all good bikes but didn't do it for me.
Old 05-21-19, 10:26 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Lynskey has Ti frames under $1k. Made is USA, more interesting the Al, more crash-proof than carbon
Old 05-30-19, 09:13 PM
qclabrat

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
@dvdslw 4 months later and no update?

In you position I'd stick with a nice hardtail. Even if you decide later to wanting a FS, a HT is always nice to have around esp since you're in FL
$1500 gets you a decent aluminum or steel hardtail. Newer models are now almost all long and slack so be sure to test ride especially at your height. Not all XL are geo'd the same. Good luck and keep us posted.