Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Freewheel options

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Freewheel options

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 07:32 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Freewheel options

I just removed my back wheel to get it trued up and noticed that a few gears are missing a tooth. Does anyone have suggestions or leads on a 6spd freewheel replacement that won't carry an eBay "vintage" premium?
The freewheel in question is a 13-26 Shimano mf z012. Rear spacing is 126, rear derailleur is a Cyclone MK-II that maxes out on a 26t cog.

I'm planning a trip to the coop this afternoon but not sure what condition theirs would be in. I'd hate to put a new chain on a busted up freewheel.
Old 02-02-19, 08:58 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
Are the missing teeth actually broken off, or are they just shorter than others? Normally some teeth are a little shorter to facilitate better shifting. The short teeth should be distributed around the cog in a regular pattern.
Old 02-02-19, 09:27 AM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by Pompiere
Are the missing teeth actually broken off, or are they just shorter than others? Normally some teeth are a little shorter to facilitate better shifting. The short teeth should be distributed around the cog in a regular pattern.
Oh that's interesting. Going back to look it does seem like maybe they're just short. Either way I'll probably look for a new one since I'm putting on a new chain.
Old 02-02-19, 09:32 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Can you post a picture of your freewheel. It might not really be all that worn and won't need replacing. Sometimes a good cleaning and service will bring it back to nearly as good as new.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 02-02-19, 09:51 AM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Can you post a picture of your freewheel. It might not really be all that worn and won't need replacing. Sometimes a good cleaning and service will bring it back to nearly as good as new.
Here are 2 pictures showing some of what I was seeing. Mostly it checks out that they're just short teeth. There is one tooth on the 3rd

Old 02-02-19, 10:22 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, broken. Can't answer your question about anything not carrying a "premium". But eBay is still your best bet for a replacement ...
Old 02-02-19, 12:13 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
I agree, the third cog has a broken tooth and a chipped tooth. The fourth and fifth cogs were made that way.
Old 02-02-19, 12:28 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
The inexpensive SunRace are not great.
I have bought 3 and won’t buy again.
Old 02-02-19, 01:11 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by The_Joe
Here are 2 pictures showing some of what I was seeing. Mostly it checks out that they're just short teeth. There is one tooth on the 3rd...
Broken teeth, well ridden with little or no PM and looking pretty crusty at this point. Most of the wear on a sprocket is actually on the underside, but from what I'm seeing I don't believe it is worth servicing at this point.

I have a spare 13-26 Shimano of the same vintage. Let me know if this is of interest to you and we can work out a reasonable price. I'm also about to clean and service a modern Mega Range Shimano 6 speed. It's all chrome so it doesn't have the final black sprocket like most do. However, you have to like 13-24 five speed with the added bonus of the 34T bailout.

Old 02-02-19, 01:44 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
The inexpensive SunRace are not great. I have bought 3 and won’t buy again.
Hmmm. I've probably bought 20 of them, but mostly for flips. I have two on my own bikes now, and they work like a charm. I bought a new 6-speed for the miyata I'm building. The 7-speed on the '87 falcon shifts like a dream with triomphe shifters, sram 8-speed chain, and super record rear mech. So quiet and quick. Their 7-speed freewheels also look a little nicer than the others.

I bought one for the univega I just sold -- a 7-speed sunrace using SIS 8-speed shifters and 6400 rear mech. It indexed perfectly.

For new freewheels, I prefer IRD, but mostly for appearances. They're a little pricey in comparison.

Actually, the only "new" freewheel that ever failed on me was an IRD I inherited from a donor bike. I emailed IRD about the busted pawl, and they sent me another for free.

The biggest problem I have with sunrace is the model the ebay seller ships me is not always as described. So I usually verify it's actually the pretty silver finish model when I checkout, instead of some fugly black one with that horrible bright white logo crap on the big cog. I can't simply remove it with acetone. Shimano does it, too, and it's grotesque and should be stopped out of common decency and all things good.
Old 02-02-19, 02:06 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
My SunRace experience:
1 of mine works great
1 very loud pawls - very loud & replaced
1 would not spin on hub cleanly, still unused.

YMMV

edit: my freewheels all 6 speed

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-02-19 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-02-19, 03:13 PM
The_Joe

Broken teeth, well ridden with little or no PM and looking pretty crusty at this point. Most of the wear on a sprocket is actually on the underside, but from what I'm seeing I don't believe it is worth servicing at this point.

I have a spare 13-26 Shimano of the same vintage. Let me know if this is of interest to you and we can work out a reasonable price. I'm also about to clean and service a modern Mega Range Shimano 6 speed. It's all chrome so it doesn't have the final black sprocket like most do. However, you have to like 13-24 five speed with the added bonus of the 34T bailout.

I may have found one at a good price already but if it falls through I will let you know. The mega range would be too big for my RD. Thanks!
Old 02-02-19, 03:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
SunRace freewheels seem reasonably well made and affordable, but quality control varies. I'd buy 'em again, considering the low price.

The 13-25 7-speed MFR30 chromed SunRace freewheel is fine on my Centurion Ironman. Shifts better and runs more smoothly than the original Suntour 13-24 Alpha. I've used it on all three of my bikes over the past couple of years, no problems. I'm looking for the 13-28 version but can't find it on Amazon.

The MFM2A SunRace 7-speed, 14-28, is a bit loose and rattly. I don't have the tool to tighten it up. It's on my errand bike which is mostly used for short rides to haul groceries.

My pet peeve is the Shimano MegaRange freewheel. There's too big a jump to and from the largest cog, which makes for some really awkward shifts on climbs. And the MegaRange is really picky about chains. Anything other than Shimano or KMC "narrow" chains will skip over the teeth under load. There isn't enough clearance between the teeth and spacers to use some chains. No such problems with the SunRace.
Old 02-02-19, 04:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
one would not spin on hub cleanly, still unused.
Instead of the freewheel, it was you that got screwed.
Old 02-02-19, 04:14 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by canklecat
…My pet peeve is the Shimano MegaRange freewheel. There's too big a jump to and from the largest cog, which makes for some really awkward shifts on climbs. And the MegaRange is really picky about chains. Anything other than Shimano or KMC "narrow" chains will skip over the teeth under load. There isn't enough clearance between the teeth and spacers to use some chains. No such problems with the SunRace.
I actually "warped" the mega sprocket on one trying to shift under load.

My observation of Sun Race freewheels is that the sprockets seem to wear out rather quickly when compared to vintage freewheel sprockets. Possibly the metal is softer?

Old 02-02-19, 04:55 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
You can buy new Shimano ones still, but I think they're all 14-28. Are you 100% sure you can't do a 28T cog?
Old 02-02-19, 06:17 PM
The_Joe

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
You can buy new Shimano ones still, but I think they're all 14-28. Are you 100% sure you can't do a 28T cog?
I'd say 90% sure. According to Velobase the Cyclone MK-II maxes out at 26. According to the Disraeli Gears site I think it said 28 was possible if you use a longer bracket. Since I'm on forges dropouts and I've never measured the distance, I was always erring of the side of caution. Although having a 28 would be beneficial with all the hills around me.
Old 02-02-19, 07:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I purchased a 105, 6 speed, 14/28 freewheel from E-bay a couple of months ago. It was new and my memory is that it was $14 with free ship. I can check my E-bay order history and get the right info, including the seller. I bought because after putting on a new chain the gears were slipping. I also purchased new 105 chain rings, 53/42, off E-bay. They were on sale for $10 each. I cannot recall the seller but can find that also.
Old 02-02-19, 07:45 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
The seller for the freewheel was kingpaguy and the seller for the chain rings was bikewagon. I have purchase numerous items from bikewagon and have been highly pleased with them. Quick shipping and good communication.
Old 02-02-19, 07:47 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
My SunRace experience:
1 of mine works great
1 very loud pawls - very loud & replaced
1 would not spin on hub cleanly, still unused.
I've had a similar failure rate: I've got two bikes with SunRace freewheels that are doing just fine, but I've also had two of their freewheels give out on me - they stopped spinning freely, then developed extra play, then started to do what felt/sounded like internal grinding, at which point they were replaced. The common factor is that the freewheels that suffered were both used on commuting bikes at sub-freezing temperatures, while the two that are still working are on bikes that I don't take out in inclement conditions, so it may be that there's something about the metallurgy or factory lubrication that's not designed to tolerate those conditions.
Old 02-02-19, 08:11 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I have several Sunrace freewheels in service and they have yet to fail, however I lubed them with Phil Wood Tenacious Oil before they were put into service. Had a Shimano freewheel freeze up once, flushed and lubed fixed it.

If you can handle a 24 tooth as a low gear, take the Shimano Mega Range freewheel and cut the 34 tooth off. I have done this twice and it works very well, plus gives a bit more space between the spokes and rear derailleur when in low gear.
Old 02-02-19, 08:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My observation of Sun Race freewheels is that the sprockets seem to wear out rather quickly when compared to vintage freewheel sprockets. Possibly the metal is softer?
I haven't ridden the SunRace enough to cause any noticeable wear. I think maybe 3,000 miles on the chromed 13-25 MFR30. Maybe the chromed finish makes 'em more durable, I dunno.

Some rides, like today on some climbs into the wind, I wish I could find the 13-28 version, chromed, but I can't find one in stock anywhere. Might need to order directly from SunRace.

The MFM2A 7-speed SunRace 14-28 freewheel has only a couple hundred miles on it at most. The six smallest cogs are browned carbon steel. The 28T big cog is blue/black steel, resembling the Shimano MegaRange style. But there's no objectionable jump between the sixth and seventh cogs. It looks more cheaply made, and developed a rattle. I couldn't loosen the lockring with a punch and hammer to see if I could snug up anything so I'm just gonna let it go as-is. But it should be okay on the errand bike. It doesn't skip like the MegaRange tended to when it wasn't paired with a chain specifically marked narrow.

BTW, is it true that freewheels 7-speed and up aren't as well supported as comparable 7-speed and up cassettes on the smallest cogs? Don't remember where I read that but it preys on my mind every time I stand to stomp up a climb instead of shifting down. I suppose if it was a serious problem big guys on the pro tours would have broken a lot of hubs and freewheels and we'd have heard more cautions. I'm not sure how credible that one article was. I doubt I'm heavy or strong enough to break anything anyway.
Old 02-03-19, 12:43 AM
The_Joe

Thanks to everyone for all of your assistance and advice. I currently have a new freewheel on the way but I'll certainly keep some of these sellers and part numbers in mind .
Old 02-03-19, 01:05 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Joe
Thanks to everyone for all of your assistance and advice. I currently have a new freewheel on the way but I'll certainly keep some of these sellers and part numbers in mind .
...just an additional word on your potential visit to your local bike co-op. The one I have near me has been a wonderful source of closer ratio 5 and 6 cog freewheels over the years. A lot of my bicycles are set up with shorter cage derailleurs from the 70's, and early 80's. So I follow the advice I get on sites like VeloBase, and thus need freewheels with 26 and 24 as the largest cog on them.

They only show up every now and then, but they do show up. My guys charge, at most, five bucks for a Suntour or Shimano 5/6 cog freewheel. So I look every time I drop in (once or twice a month). The prices for the used ones on e-bay are approaching ridiculous at this point, so I always have a couple in reserve undergoing cleaning and restoration. There's good information on removing and replacing cogs on older Suntour and Shimano freewheels, so once you get an eye for what's worn out and what's not, you can usually manage to replace anything worn (it always seems to be the 15/16/17 cogs that are worn out on most of what I find).

Anyway, good luck with it. I can't get a Cyclone rear derailleur with a short cage to handle better than a 26, but they did make long cage ones too. Something else you can look for at the co-op.
Old 02-03-19, 01:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
@The_Joe, other than your one broken tooth, and one chipped tooth, overall the freewheel doesn't look too bad. Does the chain skip?

I'd probably clean the freewheel, and just try a new chain. If the chain doesn't skip, then you're fine. If it does, either put on a new freewheel before it starts getting bad, or try to avoid the bad sprockets, and source a "newer" freewheel for the next chain (depending on your mileage).

You have the old style freewheel, essentially "Uniglide". They seem to be long wearing, but a little klunky with the shifting.

The new "Hyperglide" style freewheels shift like a dream, but I believe also wear faster.

My Closet Masher really likes the DNP Epoch 7-speed 11/28 freewheels. At least the ones I was getting a couple of years ago were slightly wider than other brands, and a tight squeeze on a 5/6/7 hub, but you should be able to make it work with some adjustment.

However, I never liked the gearing progression.

11-13-15-18-21-24-28T

Skipping the critical 12T & 14T.

And, that sent me spiraling down a rabbit hole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.