Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

New to ebike building. Need Help!

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-19, 02:09 PM
jwhite9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, Im new to this forum and ebike building...

Im thinking about building an ebike to commute to my local train station before and after work. Its around 4 miles in total, each day.

For the bike, im thinking of buying this: argosDOTcoDOTuk/product/6007870

For the conversion kit, im thinking of getting this one: ebayDOTcoDOTuk/itm/323199246084
Im not sure what battery to get?

Maybe this one? amazonDOTcoDOTuk/Downtube-Battery-Lithium-SAMSUNG-charger/dp/B01JPM58PU

It uses Samsung cells, so no chinese batteries.

So i guess my questions are, is the battery ok? If not, can you suggest one please.

Also, is the voltage ok too?

Also, in terms of the wiring, will the battery connect to the hub motor with no issues?

Im not allowed to post URLs, so replace DOT with an actual dot.
Thanks
Old 02-03-19, 02:25 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Here you go.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323199246084
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Downtube-Ba.../dp/B01JPM58PU

Your motor is a direct drive (gearless) unit. Good for speed,.Quiet. Simpler. Less good for hills, Needs a bigger battery to do well. I personally like geared motors. Less drag for pedaling, if you like to do that. The battery is a better fit for a lower power motor.

Here is where UK experts hang out.
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/for...discussion.42/
Old 02-03-19, 04:50 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgive me for the question, But why an e-bike for a 2 mile trip? You're looking at building a $600, 40lb boat anchor of a bike that you need to recharge. I'd suggest just going to a bicycle shop, spend that much money on a lightweight, higher quality bike (that also takes fit/size and geometry into account instead of something one-size-fits-all).
Old 02-04-19, 03:29 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
Forgive me for the question, But why an e-bike for a 2 mile trip? You're looking at building a $600, 40lb boat anchor of a bike that you need to recharge. I'd suggest just going to a bicycle shop, spend that much money on a lightweight, higher quality bike (that also takes fit/size and geometry into account instead of something one-size-fits-all).
+++++

Even my very out of shape self chooses a non-ebike for 2 miles to the light rail, light rail ride and 2 miles to work. For the least amount of commute time (10 miles each way); my ebike is faster than the regular bike train combo or driving. In the afternoon the light rail + non ebike takes less time than driving.
Old 02-05-19, 09:37 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Guys, you forget that a self-built e-bike is its own game. If that is the game he wants to play, then great!

It beats playing video games and may keep the OP from driving that distance.

Back to the point, I would not recommend a direct drive hub for most applications. Geared hubs are both smaller and weigh less.
Old 02-05-19, 01:19 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, its the OPs prerogative; it just seems lile a lot of expense for negligible benefit and it comes with extra issues. The only way this project makes sense us if the OP can't physically pedal 2 miles at a time. And if they're in that condition, I hope they don't have to carry this bike up any stairs.

Just to answer a question: I don't know if your particular battery and motor will connect directly together, but even if they don't, there should(?) just be two wires, you can cut, strip and connect them together yourself. I had to do it to the parts that I bought, but I do have a very different setup.
Old 02-05-19, 04:11 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe he has headwinds to contend with ... Maybe he needs to show up w/o sweat stains ...
Old 02-05-19, 04:12 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
If you don't think eBikes are cool for short runs and errands, maybe you should not be in this forum ...