Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Leakproof lunch container

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 12:04 PM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I have tried many different containers to place my lunch for my commute to work but they all leak. Who has had luck with a non-breakable, microwaveable container that will hold a lunch?
Old 02-14-19, 12:12 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
I use glass mason type jars with metal lids. I don't microwave. I transport them in an insulated zippered lunch tote with a freezer pack. They've only leaked when I don't screw the jar lid down tight, and then, it only leaks into the tote.
Old 02-14-19, 12:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Wifey has been using these new units. not sure where she got hers. they seem very good. I've only washed them, never used them. if I were carrying them in a bike trunk I would sit them down right side up & maybe inside a plastic shopping bag. I usually do that anyway for the stuff that doesn't always stay in the trunk

Old 02-14-19, 12:26 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
From a different perspective... consider food that can't leak? Cold pizza, tuna sandwich, etc.
Old 02-14-19, 12:36 PM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I'm assuming soup/stew sorts of things? I often prepare such meals to bring to work, and have gotten into the habit of adding a bit of cornstarch to thicken the broth at the end of the simmer. It slops around less and thus is less prone to leak. I also am fairly careful to keep the dish upright when traveling, either in a flat bottomed lunch bag when walking or a rigid rack pack when cycling. I line the rackpack with an old towel to offer some cushioning against bumps and to help contain any spills that might occur. I've also done used plastic stretch wrap under the lid to offer extra protection. I use these containers, fwiw:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pyrex-Sim...xoCYZ4QAvD_BwE
Old 02-14-19, 02:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tupperware ..
Old 02-14-19, 03:40 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Real Tupperware has it all over the Glad type boxes. The biggest problem I have is trying to get the container to sit flat in a pannier. Two small, 4x6" containers stacked in a lunch bag work better than one bigger 7x7" container for me.

You might try putting a lunch-sized container inside a bigger 1-gal container to contain the spill...
Old 02-14-19, 06:05 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Old 02-14-19, 06:08 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Wifey has been using these new units. not sure where she got hers. they seem very good. I've only washed them, never used them. if I were carrying them in a bike trunk I would sit them down right side up & maybe inside a plastic shopping bag. I usually do that anyway for the stuff that doesn't always stay in the trunk

we have some of those from costco (or very similar, maybe from the container store is a more premium original and costco is a knockoff?)

I would not call ours waterproof. I keep a rectangular one and its lid at work for microwaving instant ramen. When I take it out of the microwave and clip the lid on, the lid does a good job of getting everything back to my desk, but if I just hold it sideways, it quickly starts dripping (I've tried)
Old 02-14-19, 06:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I liked the Sistema stuff we had.

We had Rubbermaid things that tended to leak, fortunately over the last couple of years the dog has found them one by one and I can throw them out.

Lately I've been using the Ziploc pint screw-top bowls. They are just about right for a cup of rice or pasta and some meat and sauce on the top. Gotta be sure to loosen the lid before microwaving.

A couple of things in favor of glass. Spaghetti sauce will stain plastic (and turn all the baby bottles orange in the dishwasher, haha). If you microwave something with fat or cheese on the top it can reach temperatures over the melting point of the plastic and make a ring that you can't scrub off. That's why TV dinners come in paper trays.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-14-19 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 06:39 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
How about a sandwich?
Old 02-14-19, 08:05 PM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by no motor?
How about a sandwich?
Why yes, thanks.
Old 02-14-19, 08:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by RubeRad
we have some of those from costco (or very similar, maybe from the container store is a more premium original and costco is a knockoff?)I would not call ours waterproof. I keep a rectangular one and its lid at work for microwaving instant ramen. When I take it out of the microwave and clip the lid on, the lid does a good job of getting everything back to my desk, but if I just hold it sideways, it quickly starts dripping (I've tried)
she doesn't know if they leak cuz she uses them for salads & more solid left overs
thinks she got them at Bed Bath & Beyond or Target
Old 02-14-19, 08:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Except for the microwaveable part, the Ortleib pannier has it all. Totally leakproof and easy to clean. On and off the bike quick. Handle to carry it by. I think you have to handwash them but you might be able to figure out how to get them in your dishwasher.)

Ben
Old 02-14-19, 08:23 PM
madpogue 

An Ortleib pannier won't keep your lunch from leaking onto your clothes, or your tablet/laptop, or the like.
Old 02-14-19, 08:29 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Depending on the length of your commute, ambient temps and whether you like salads (long list of ifs) try salad jars. My wife and I use them. I believe they are from Pampered Chef. Heavy gauge plastic with a lid split to contain dressing as well as secure the salad. Holds a good sized salad.
I know, you didn't imply salads, but thought I'd toss it in as an option.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 02-14-19 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 08:59 PM
guidosan

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use a couple of things. The mason jars are great and haven't had any problems as long as I remember to tighten down the lid. I also use snapware and you can find them here (https://www.snapware.com/) and I think Cosco. These are a lot like what RumRunn6 suggested above.
Old 02-14-19, 09:23 PM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I've been using the Snapware Glasslock sets for many years, which I got at Costco. I prefer to microwave in glass - no stains or bubbling like plastic. I believe you can get a plastic version of the Snapware, too.

As noted, the Glasslock lids are not totally liquid-tight, so I just don't use them for anything liquid. Thus, I don't have a big problem getting to work with them sideways in the pannier, in a thermo bag, except the food falls to one side. If I had soup, I think I'd use a purpose-made Thermos-type thing, maybe keeping a glass bowl or huge coffee mug at work you can wash for reheating.

Finally, the gaskets in Glasslocks have to be removed periodically for cleaning. The silicone rings sit in a channel, and will gather food and liquids in the channel, and lots of gross black stuff will grow underneath. I use a dull blade like a butter knife to pry the seal out. I don't think the lids are dishwasher safe, but I haven't had a problem on the top shelf if I set it to Cool Dry.
Old 02-15-19, 02:21 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
IKEA 365+

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/collectio...owsable%3A1%29

have about 10 in circulation for the last 10 years. Every now and then I grab a few as they get lost stolen/broken.

glass ones are nice for the fridge/freezer so you can see into them.

i like the plastic ones with insert for an actual lunch on the bike.

can't beet them and everyone over here uses them. sometimes they get lost as we have dishwasher facilities at work and a rota and there's get a few of them in the machines.
Old 02-15-19, 02:25 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
From a different perspective... consider food that can't leak? Cold pizza, tuna sandwich, etc.
Please! I've just had breakfast!
Old 02-15-19, 09:04 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

she doesn't know if they leak cuz she uses them for salads & more solid left overs
thinks she got them at Bed Bath & Beyond or Target
In the time that conversation took, you could have conducted an experiment over the sink
Old 02-15-19, 09:47 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by RubeRad
In the time that conversation took, you could have conducted an experiment over the sink
dunno, cuz then I would have had to find a unit, wash her salad out of it, dry the seals, then perform the experiment. then probably get her a cup of ice cream, cuz I was up from the couch. besides it wasn't really a conversation, it was a very brief: "what? shhhh, my show!, oh what? oh those? I don't know shhhh, my show! oh well, maybe ... blah blah blah"
Old 02-15-19, 10:25 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Only if you throw them away every day after a single use
Old 02-15-19, 10:27 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

dunno, cuz then I would have had to find a unit, wash her salad out of it, dry the seals, then perform the experiment. then probably get her a cup of ice cream, cuz I was up from the couch. besides it wasn't really a conversation, it was a very brief: "what? shhhh, my show!, oh what? oh those? I don't know shhhh, my show! oh well, maybe ... blah blah blah"
lol I don't know how long 'find a unit' takes, but why wash it? put a cup of water in it, click the lid on, hold it sideways over the sink for 10sec and watch it drip
Old 02-15-19, 11:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
An Ortleib pannier won't keep your lunch from leaking onto your clothes, or your tablet/laptop, or the like.
That's why they come in pairs. Although you could probably feed most of your workmates with an Ortlieb full of chili or soup...

More seriously, I've found a zip-lock bag around a container is leakproof 75% of the time, but the ziplock as the primary container leaks a lot more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.