Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Build for the Strangest of Creatures - Commercial

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 08:24 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Posting this in the gravel forum because we tend to be somewhat adventurous. Outsiders would call many of us "Strange."

I really enjoyed this commercial, especially the kayak guy. I'm not about to go buy a truck because of it but whomever made it probably understands where our minds are at.

-Tim-
Old 03-15-19, 08:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Ah.. the old selling a lifestyle commercial. At least they tried to make it funny instead of subliminal like the luxury suv ad's. But everyone knows the real adventurers are driving mini vans
Old 03-15-19, 08:58 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I don't think too many Ford Ranger drivers I see on the road do many Extreme Sports, other than extreme beer-drinking. But hey, if appealing to people's Ideal Self sells low-end pickup trucks, why not. Anything to make people forget about Ford factories building trucks for the Nazis during WWII:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_G...ord-Werke_GmbH
Old 03-15-19, 09:04 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I saw this commercial a few days ago, and have to say I was confused by it as well...it’s a truck commercial, but where is the country music, or at least announcer with Texas accent?! Where is the mention of max payload, ft lbs of torque, and a brief clip of it hauling a competitor truck?! Not even a farmer or oil rig worker at sunrise?!

I have actually been considering something like this for a while, but will probably buy used. I had hoped with the newish Colorado/Canyon, Honda Ridgeline, and now the Ford Ranger, that the price of a 4 door, 4wd compact truck would go down (the Tacoma has dominated this segment IMO) but it’s still hard to find anything like that under $35k new (and new vehicle property tax in Kansas is brutal).
Old 03-15-19, 11:48 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Nazis?
Old 03-15-19, 02:12 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
As the owner of a 22 year old Ranger 4X4, when Ford first announced the return of the Ranger a few years ago, I was cautiously hoping. My 1997 has been dead reliable since new and still meets all emissions, plus I just do not wasn a full size truck, in size or cost. Add in that in Virginia with its annual personal property tax, the truck is now tax free.

I signed up for the 'keep me informed' mailings. However, that TV ad was prefaced by a 2 year long e-mail media campaign. Unfortunately with each new email or mailing, everything seemed to presage that it was going to be a tech-heavy and optioned 'life-style' truck with limited flexibility in optioning packages rather than a general purpose truck that could do many things . The lack of a V-6 option and the current lack of a 4 door with 6 foot bed, all available on a Toyota Tacoma, turned me off. Connected cars and tech are nice and convenient until they do not, and being proprietary and interconnected, are costly to fix especially since they are necessary even if you personally are not utilizing them. Besides, the smart pgone does most of them already.

I know a number of Ranger owners who were cautiously optomistic, but all are disappointed in the outcome to date.

I really like my truck (with a cap) for biking bike trips as both bikes can be carried fully assembled INSIDE and COVERED. For more heavily laden trips, the wheels come off. If the trip was muddy, the bikes can come home INSIDE and SECURE, and COVERED and the bed cam be hosed out. No fiddling with securing bikes to hitches or racks, no hitches scratching paint on the car or bike, no trips for hours in pouring rain on the bikes, no brake levers digging headliners, no lookie-loos playing with the bikes when you stop, etc.
Old 03-15-19, 02:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I don't think too many Ford Ranger drivers I see on the road do many Extreme Sports, other than extreme beer-drinking. But hey, if appealing to people's Ideal Self sells low-end pickup trucks, why not. Anything to make people forget about Ford factories building trucks for the Nazis during WWII:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_G...ord-Werke_GmbH
haha, wow that was an impressive job forcing a Nazi mention into the thread.
kudos for working so hard to make it work.

so far nobody cares, but perhaps someone will eventually care that Ford of Germany from 3/4 of a century ago used forced labor or built trucks for the country's ruling party.
Old 03-15-19, 05:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Can't you guys look past the truck and 20th century genocide and take a moment to enjoy the guy rolling the kayak?

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard."
- Gimli, Lord of the Rings.

-Tim-
Old 03-15-19, 09:13 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I am more sold on the 2020 AWD Transit.

Unless your using a tailgate pad, small trucks hauling bicycles is crap! IMO, been there done that. Didn't like it.

Now had ford given us a SFA Ranger..... I might have 100% considered it..... if I was in the market for a Jeep. Those days are in my past though. I just want to go to the trail head, park, and then let the real adventures begin.
Old 03-15-19, 10:29 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I did like the commercial as well as a few of their others. Adventure sport theme is good with me.
Old 03-16-19, 12:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I thought Ford had discontinued the Ranger.

They brought it back to life?

Man, the new version has a tiny bed. It can't even fit a couple of tiny kayaks into the bed.
Old 03-16-19, 04:51 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I believe the Rangers were built by Mazda just before the model was discontinued.
Old 03-16-19, 05:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I believe the Rangers were built by Mazda just before the model was discontinued.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger

It sounds like a complex relationship between Mazda and Ford.

For the USA market, the Ford Ranger bodies were produced in the USA, but it is possible major drivetrain components were produced elsewhere.
Old 03-17-19, 11:06 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger

It sounds like a complex relationship between Mazda and Ford.
For the USA market from 1994 on (and some earlier versions), the Ford Ranger bodies frames and most other parts were produced in the USA, but it is possible major drivetrain components were produced elsewhere.

The Ranger was built in the US. The same period's Mazda B2300, 3000, and 4000, were just re-badges. However depending on which engine and trans you specified you might have a US, German, or Japanese component. My Ranger has SAE bolts on the truck, but the engine (German) and trans (Japanese or German) are metric. For the 1998 year the front suspension were from the Explorer. I believe 1998 may have been when the 4 liter engine went to SOHC. Keeping the same body shell was a blessing and a curse for Ford. From 1995 until end of production (2012) some parts interchanged others did not. It was a real truck and Consumers Reports, etc always gave a downgrade and said it rode like a truck... duuh. Parts were plentiful for the Ford (still are), but folks wanted new and different and Toyota gave it. I still see more old Rangers on the road than old Toyotas. Every garage and auto parts store in my area used base models for parts chasers, now they use the small Ford Transit vans of Prius V cars.

I am glad Metieval commented about the Transit AWD. To me that would be the ultimate bike and dog mover for security.
Old 03-18-19, 10:42 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 248 Posts
The Ranger has been a global vehicle for..... a really long time.
The version being built & sold in the US now is from that global platform. The old Ranger was also badge-engineered for Mazda. As the original Fusion was very much a Mazda6 for a few years (my wife is still driving her Mexican built '09 Fusion 5spd manual 4cyl with over 100k miles on it).
I've got one of the last Foci built here in Michigan - which is the plant that is now building the Ranger.

I suppose if the history of a company affects your purchase of their products today then maybe you're driving a GM product (maybe not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_%26_Me)
You certainly would not drive any Japanese products: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women / https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sino-Japanese_War)
Chrysler is now owned by Fiat, Italian!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Mussolini
And of course if Ford's history is going to be held against us them, Mercedes, VW, BMW, and Porsche would be held to the same standard.

And last kind of related and not funny that I found funny - the poor guy who sold his F150 plumbing truck to an auction house that sold it off to the middle east: https://www.cnn.com/2015/12/14/us/te...uit/index.html

- Guess it's good this is the Bikes Forum!

cheers.
Old 03-18-19, 12:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by mrv
And last kind of related and not funny that I found funny - the poor guy who sold his F150 plumbing truck to an auction house that sold it off to the middle east: https://www.cnn.com/2015/12/14/us/te...uit/index.html
Wow.
Old 03-19-19, 03:19 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Ah.. the old selling a lifestyle commercial. At least they tried to make it funny instead of subliminal like the luxury suv ad's. But everyone knows the real adventurers are driving mini vans
with "free candy" written on the sides?
Old 03-19-19, 09:28 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Posting this in the gravel forum because we tend to be somewhat adventurous. Outsiders would call many of us "Strange."

I really enjoyed this commercial, especially the kayak guy. I'm not about to go buy a truck because of it but whomever made it probably understands where our minds are at.

-Tim-
Agreed. My wife loved the Jeep commercial - the lifestyle made her want to buy a jeep (or maybe that was just her excuse). Then she saw this commercial and thought it was another Jeep commercial, lol.

I like the commercials. They are fun. I've lived that lifestyle - whether I was driving a jeep, Subaru, or whatever. As long as its not an SUV* (wrangler gets a pass), and I can carry all my gear, fit a bike inside and sleep inside in a pinch, I'm good.

*Its got to have good lap times, because it will be driven on a track.
Old 03-19-19, 11:36 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I drive a GMC Canyon, pretty much a direct competitor of the new Ranger. I can fit 2-3 bikes in there along with a couple weeks worth of gear and hit the road! With the cap on it, my bikes and gear stay reasonably secure and out of the weather. I'm really happy with it. I was interested to see the new Ranger and it seems like a decent little truck, but it doesn't really bring much new to the table. My Canyon has one feature that the new Ranger just can't match-it's PAID FOR! B-) I'll drive it for a few more years, hopefully someone will build a hybrid/electric bike hauler that will take its place. My Canyon gets decent mileage for a 4wd truck but if something comes along that is more economical but with similar capacities and capabilities I'd be interested.