Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Does this crankset need to be replaced

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 01:04 PM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts

I bought a Specialized Sirrus off of someone who was moving; knocked $60 off asking price because chain was stretched, and I have already replaced both the chain and cassette (8 speed altus, same as what it had).

On further inspection, I am not thrilled with the crankset, but not sure if it needs replacement right away, or can wait a while. The primary use for this bike is a somewhat hilly 8 mile (each way) commute, particularly on wet/slightly rainy days. I don't need the small ring, and would prefer to be on the middle ring about 75% of the time.

Edit: forgot to add the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190622_134929.jpg (1.25 MB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20190622_135024.jpg (1.06 MB, 106 views)
Old 06-22-19, 01:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Can't see it, what's the issue?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-22-19, 01:25 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
$60 off for a stretched chain? Wow, that's some negotiating. Puts me to shame.

I'll answer what I think the real question is: Can I get away with the current chainrings not eating up my nice new chain and cassette?

I'd lean toward no. Chainring wear will eventually translate to your chain, and your cassette by extension, so they will wear faster.

Me personally, I'd replace the chainrings separately if possible, and if you can't, then replace the whole crank. Easy fix and you have a next-to-new drivetrain.
Old 06-22-19, 01:59 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
It's hard to tell, visually, if a chain will skip on a worn cassette or chain ring - the only way is to ride and see...
From your pictures - the chain rings don't appear to be "hooked" or "shark-finned" which is how they look when worn.
After putting on the new chain and cassette how does it ride/shift? If everything is working OK I'd just ride the bike and not worry about it.
If you look closely you will see that some of the teeth on your crankset are slightly shorter, or have a slightly rounder profile - this is normal. It is called "ramped and pinned" and assists the chain in jumping up and down between the rings.
Under normal situations it takes a long time to wear out chain rings/crankset.
Typically, I get 5,000km to a chain, 5 or 6 chains to a cassette and 5 or 6 cassettes to a chain ring. I keep my drivetrains very clean/lubed and don't ride in a lot of wet/sandy conditions but it gives you an idea of how long rings/cranks can last.
So, if you replaced the chain and cassette and everything is working - pedal on! Wear that sucker out!
Old 06-22-19, 02:31 PM
NewATBikeComute

Originally Posted by KLiNCK
It's hard to tell, visually, if a chain will skip on a worn cassette or chain ring - the only way is to ride and see...
From your pictures - the chain rings don't appear to be "hooked" or "shark-finned" which is how they look when worn.
After putting on the new chain and cassette how does it ride/shift? If everything is working OK I'd just ride the bike and not worry about it.
If you look closely you will see that some of the teeth on your crankset are slightly shorter, or have a slightly rounder profile - this is normal. It is called "ramped and pinned" and assists the chain in jumping up and down between the rings.
Under normal situations it takes a long time to wear out chain rings/crankset.
Typically, I get 5,000km to a chain, 5 or 6 chains to a cassette and 5 or 6 cassettes to a chain ring. I keep my drivetrains very clean/lubed and don't ride in a lot of wet/sandy conditions but it gives you an idea of how long rings/cranks can last.
So, if you replaced the chain and cassette and everything is working - pedal on! Wear that sucker out!
I appreciate all input, thank you all.

Just came back from an 8 mile shakedown cruise, and overall it's not bad. Had to adjust the front L limit screw a bit, as it had trouble getting down to the smallest chain ring, and need a little tweaking on the rear indexing, but I think I can focus on getting fenders first, and then dealing with the front rings.

Yea New Bike Day!
Old 06-22-19, 02:51 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 271 Posts
I agree that the chain rings do not look like they will be a problem. I would replace the cassette to be safe it you can afford to do it.
Old 06-22-19, 03:11 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Those chain rings are steel. To me they appear polished by the chain, but don't show any wear. Those Altus cranks are on the low end of quality equipment but do take a lot of abuse. Since you say you don't need a triple, you just may want to upgrade anyway at some point. No need to do it anytime soon though.

How much stretch did the chain show? $60 bucks off for just the drive train on this bike is rich, but then we don't know what the starting price was.
Old 06-22-19, 05:44 PM
NewATBikeComute

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Those chain rings are steel. To me they appear polished by the chain, but don't show any wear. Those Altus cranks are on the low end of quality equipment but do take a lot of abuse. Since you say you don't need a triple, you just may want to upgrade anyway at some point. No need to do it anytime soon though.

How much stretch did the chain show? $60 bucks off for just the drive train on this bike is rich, but then we don't know what the starting price was.
They asked $360; I paid $300. Also has a bent spoke that I didn't notice initially that definitely needs replacing. I bought two basic KMC chains, and a cassette, and replaced that. It's hydraulic disc brakes, and the pads are thin, but don't need replacement right away.

Initially the chain showed about 25% stretch, ie the chain tool was penetrating partially, but as I moved around, at one spot the tool went all the way in on one side (0.75), but not on the other (1.0).

...bent spoke, some scratches on the seat stay, both on the drive side, come to think of it, it sounds like a stick (or something) got caught in the wheel. No damage to the rear derailleur or hanger, though, just as straight as can be...
Old 06-23-19, 10:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Look at the pictures, people! Not only are the chainrings not worn, they are practically new. You can still see the machining on the teeth.

To NewATBikeCommute: What you are seeing on the crank...flattened teeth, little protrusions, etc...are features not problems. The teeth with different profiles and protrusions are there to help the chain change from ring to ring easier. They are a good thing.

Additionally, your chainrings aren’t “replaceable”. They are riveted or swaged to the crankarm in a way that is can’t be removed. You have to replace the whole crank. On the good news side, you won’t need to replace it due to wear for about 100,000 miles.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-24-19, 10:38 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The rings are good to go. Throw away the chain checker and buy a ruler or a Pedro's https://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Chain-...gateway&sr=8-1