Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New bike invented in Australia!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 08:47 PM
joe99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In Australia, there is a TV program called "New Inventors", each episode of which features 3 new inventions which are assessed by panel of "experts".

Last night's show included a bike in which the rotating pedals and cranks are replaced by a pair of levers.

The show can be found at
https://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2055118.htm
and there is a video clip of the inventor explaining and demonstrating the "Leverbike".

How many times has this been invented before?
Old 10-17-07, 09:01 PM
DanPT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joe99
In Australia, there is a TV program called "New Inventors", each episode of which features 3 new inventions which are assessed by panel of "experts".

Last night's show included a bike in which the rotating pedals and cranks are replaced by a pair of levers.

The show can be found at
and there is a video clip of the inventor explaining and demonstrating the "Leverbike".

How many times has this been invented before
?

Well there is the staircycle

https://www.staircycle.com/bmoviesb.html
Old 10-17-07, 09:11 PM
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The show can be found at

The cranks are still there, they are just shorter and mounted below the dangerous seat post.
Old 10-17-07, 09:19 PM
joe99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edp773
The cranks are still there, they are just shorter and mounted below the dangerous seat post.
Point taken

I guess a more accurate description would be "the pedals have been replaced by a pair of levers and connecting rods."
Old 10-18-07, 02:53 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
There was also the "transbar" bike by Alenax. Even came in road and MTB versions. My LBS has a couple of them hanging on the wall.

Old 10-18-07, 05:40 AM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does this improve upon regular bikes?
Old 10-18-07, 09:45 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen at least two or three over the years, and it's one of those things that makes you blink and say, "Huh?" You need rotating motion at the drive wheel, and on most bikes you have rotation at the crank. I don't see any advantage in starting with linear motion and converting it. It's got to add weight to the system, and while you don't really pull up on the pedals much as you ride a conventional bike (that's a myth, disproven many times in tests), you do carry the pedalling effort a little more than 180 degrees. With the levers, seems like you'd lose that small additional input.
Old 10-18-07, 09:47 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
They don't, which is why they don't survive long in the marketplace.

The claimed advantage is a straight downstroke as opposed to pedaling circles. Allegedly this is better for the leg joints. There were also claimed but disproven power improvements. (They're difficult to stand and pedal and clipless gives you power in the full circle.)

All this is offset by increases in weight, complexity, cost and reliance on proprietary repair parts.

But for the inventor, it gets attention, then later, you can claim it was forced out of the marketplace by conspiracy in the same way the mythical 100 mpg carburetor was. Just before the UFOs landed.
Old 10-18-07, 10:19 AM
edzo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
They don't, which is why they don't survive long in the marketplace.

The claimed advantage is a straight downstroke as opposed to pedaling circles. Allegedly this is better for the leg joints. There were also claimed but disproven power improvements. (They're difficult to stand and pedal and clipless gives you power in the full circle.)

All this is offset by increases in weight, complexity, cost and reliance on proprietary repair parts.

But for the inventor, it gets attention, then later, you can claim it was forced out of the marketplace by conspiracy in the same way the mythical 100 mpg carburetor was. Just before the UFOs landed.
100mph carb is not a myth

it exists. but it is not practical. it takes 10 minutes to go from 0 to 30mph
Old 10-18-07, 10:45 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1839 - Kirkpatrick Macmillan

Old 10-18-07, 04:07 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
I've seen at least two or three over the years, and it's one of those things that makes you blink and say, "Huh?" You need rotating motion at the drive wheel, and on most bikes you have rotation at the crank. I don't see any advantage in starting with linear motion and converting it. It's got to add weight to the system, and while you don't really pull up on the pedals much as you ride a conventional bike (that's a myth, disproven many times in tests), you do carry the pedalling effort a little more than 180 degrees. With the levers, seems like you'd lose that small additional input.
That's not my experience, I pull up hard to the point where I can't ride platform pedals without a conscious effort to not pull up.

Can you cite references to scientifically valid, independent tests that you refer to?

Last edited by Cyclaholic; 10-19-07 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-18-07, 06:25 PM
Mchaz
Dances a jig.

Bikes: 2007 Surly Long Haul Trucker 54cm (Commuting/Wanna' go tour so bad), 1985 Trek 670 21" (Road), 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara 17" (MTB), Cannondale DeltaV 600 (commuterized MTB), some junker bikes in my garage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's more ergonomic than walking? Nothing...that's why I use...

The Treadmill Bike!

It's really the next generation of 2-wheeled transit.
Old 10-18-07, 09:38 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Mchaz
What's more ergonomic than walking? Nothing...that's why I use...

The Treadmill Bike!

It's really the next generation of 2-wheeled transit.
WOW! a machine that allows you to actually walk down the street! imagine that.
Old 10-18-07, 10:52 PM
TomatoSue
It is I,Captain Vegetable

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I watched this segment on the New Inventors, one of the points the inventor made was that it eliminated the need for a bicycle seat.

In the clip they showed it didn't look very aerodynamic.
Old 10-19-07, 03:41 AM
geebee

Bikes: GT3 trike,Viper chopper, electric assist Viper chopper,Electric moped(Vespa style)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you get to stand for several hours on a long ride?
No resting on the seat on downhills, no tucking.
A 25mph head wind would be fun.
Real practical, not.

Cyclaholic, I have the same issue with platforms they feel weird and inefficient as I have to keep reminding my self not to lift my feet off.
Old 10-19-07, 02:44 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 10-19-07, 04:29 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^Now that's just flat funny, there. He looks like he's having some kind of seizure.

Now, please excuse me while I clean up the coffee...and blow it out of my sinuses.
Old 10-19-07, 05:15 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
I just did a Google search for the word "bicycle"

and I customized the search by searching News with dates from 1860 to 1870.

Aparently treadle drive was around back then and there was a patent dispute.

https://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...B4668382679FDE

invented or re-invented?

Note: the article is in pdf
Old 10-24-07, 12:37 PM
eubi
No Rocket Surgeon

Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
That's not my experience, I pull up hard to the point where I can't ride platform pedals without a conscious effort to not pull up.

Can you cite references to scientifically valid, independent tests that you refer to?
I'll chime in for Velo Dog.

I don't remember the sources, but I remember at least three tests I read back in the 70's and 80's that proved that VERY FEW world class racers pull up on their pedals. I believe at least one of them was published in Cycling Science.

I also remember an interview with Greg Lemond, and he said he pushed down on the pedals, and pulled back (like scraping mud off your foot), but did not pull up.

I'm not trying to start any arguments. If it works for you and others, great.
Old 10-24-07, 03:33 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This isn't the same idea at all, but I always wanted one of these as a kid so I thought I'd post the picture.

Old 10-24-07, 04:17 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'll have to see if I can find a source on this as well.

I seem to recall specifically that for the fastest cyclists, there was "some" power on the upstroke, but it was very little more than removing the weight from the pedals. It was considered trivial when compared to the power of the downstroke.

Obviously, this would be enough to make someone used to riding clipless have issues on platforms, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the power of the upstroke is significant for world class riders...

What happens in an unusual situation does not necessary repreasent relative strength... When I operate the brake in my car with my left foot I just about lauinch myself through the windshield, but this does not mean that my left foot is significantly stronger than my right foot...

I do not dismiss that there may be some that have significant power in their upstroke, but I have read that for most, the power is minimal, other than removing the resistance to the downstroke.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-24-07, 10:25 PM
Mtbnomore

Bikes: Trek Domane, Soma Smoothie, Surly Big Dummy/Pacer/KM/Ogre, and a revolving collection of vintage stuff

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode something like this at the Tour de Fat.
Old 10-25-07, 12:43 AM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
You can still find it.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2176574

I've even seen an adult sized one....

Just so you know, you knees WILL bleed.

CE

(still miss my big wheel)
Yeah, but it says "For guys 8,9,10 years old who really know how to ride." I missed my window.
Old 10-25-07, 11:12 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
I'll have to see if I can find a source on this as well.....
I have one bike with clipless pedals, and another city/errand bike without.
When riding the city bike I do tend to lift my feet up off the pedals during the upstroke, enough that they tend to change position a bit.

I don't think I do this enough to contribute much power during typical riding, but it does happen without concious effort.
~
Old 10-25-07, 11:30 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
It's my belief that a system that allows for variable leg-stroke would be at least very much more comfortable to use than conventional pedals, and I intent to build one at some point in the future. It would also be heavier, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be more useful. A single-speed bike is lighter than the same bike with a geared hub, but most adult bikes bought for recreation (in first-world countries at least) have gears, because people think that the ability to match the pedaling load somewhat to their preferred exertion level is worth hauling around a couple more pounds of metal for.

If you consider the leg extensions people use while jogging, they start out taking rather long strides, then take shorter strides as they get tired. They take moderate strides on level ground, tend to take shorter strides going uphill, and do "lunges" up stairs, skipping one or more stairs. They do not use the same leg extensions all the time, because it's not comfortable or natural to do so. The fact that many bicycles have gears does not address the problem of the same leg extension always being used.

A bicycle with conventional cranks forces you to use the same exact leg extensions all the time. Most casual riders don't tweak their crank lengths to perfection, cranks don't come in a wide-enough variety to even suit the general population and even if you could make adjustable-length cranks that could change length on the fly, you'd still have the problem of the leg-extension to seat distance.

I would also point out that many of these lever-systems are not levers at all but treadles, which are just fixed by connecting rods to a conventional crank setup, and don't benefit from variable-length pedal strokes at all. The only advantage these can claim is a pedal surface that doesn't move fore-and-aft as much as a pedal on conventional cranks would.
~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.