Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-13, 10:22 AM
RCPlains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=DnvrFox;15888626]That is fine for shorter rides. For longer rides - i.e., several hours, most of us find all that foam, etc., irritates our bottoms.

The theory behind saddles is to have your "sit bones" - ischeal tuberosities - support your weight, which is why seats are narrow, as your IT's are not too far apart.

It takes a bit for a "skinny" saddle to feel confortable, but onse it does - and one maay have to try several - it is the best.

Each to his own!!...I'll let you "serious, professional" cyclists ride the rail!!!...I found the narrow piece of crap that came of my FX 7.4 to be cruel & unusual punishment!...I've put 280 miles on my Trek in the last 3 weeks so i ride a little bit...with the only "suspension" on the 7.4 the carbon fiber front fork, I found the stock "seat" (more like a rail) totally unacceptable!...Kansas has one of the best road systems in the nation but it's not perfectly smooth!...far too much jarring & vibration transferred to the rider with the stock seat & 700x32 tires...I put my 280 miles on with padded biker shorts & a memory foam seat (with springs)...much less vibration transferred to the rider...280 miles and no monkey butt...I'll stick with my smooth cruise!...

Last edited by RCPlains; 07-26-13 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-26-13, 11:18 AM
Rich Gibson 

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 5th ride, 52 minutes; I'll discontinue reporting from now on. I exchanged the 38mm tires for a pair of MTB pedals (Wellgo) Nice! On the one which came with the Trek I had the cages removed and unfortunately they flop over upside down if my foot goes off the pedal. I also bought a pair of gel gloves....they didn't help a bit. My finger and thumb tips still go numb if I grip the bars even slightly for more than four or five minutes. Continue experimenting with my hand position. Still a lot of fun.

Rich
Old 07-26-13, 11:22 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Hey Rich,

You can post your rides here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-today/page481

Old 07-26-13, 11:29 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
"Each to his own!!...I'll let you "serious, professional" cyclists ride the rail!!!...I found the narrow piece of crap that came of my FX 7.4 to be cruel & unusual punishment!...I've put 280 miles on my Trek in the last 3 weeks so i ride a little bit...with the only "suspension" on the 7.4 the carbon fiber front fork, I found the stock "seat" (more like a rail) totally unacceptable!...Kansas has one of the best road systems in the nation but it's not perfectly smooth!...far too much jarring & vibration transferred to the rider with the stock seat & 700x32 tires...I put my 280 miles on with padded biker shorts & a memory foam seat (with springs)...much less vibration transferred to the rider...280 miles and no monkey butt...I'll stick with my smooth cruise!..."

In this business - whatever works.
Old 07-29-13, 06:06 PM
Sandy Barringer

Bikes: 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ncbikers
Sandy,

If possible you should check out the mid-west recumbent rally which I believe is coming up in August in WI. There will be a lot of them for you to try.

Something I did was to look at my physical problems verses seat positions. I have neck (nerve) problems and the closer my chin is to my chest the more discomfort I get in my neck either at the time or later on. We have upright bents, where I can hold my head up and like them a lot. They are Sun EZ-sports.

Also think about where your weight will be on your back. I didn't want a C-shaped seat with the weight on my tailbone. Your weight position will also change as your feet go up in the air higher (away from the ground).

Warning: When you first get on one it will feel "odd" and it takes a few rides to get used to them. It is not like changing DF's. It is a much bigger difference.

Go for it!
We also have a recumbent rally in Michigan. I'll have to do a google to get the date, but I'll definitely be going to that. You can try out recumbants there too.

I just checked, and here's the info for anyone in my area:
Date correction:
Ann Arbor Recumbent Jamboree
24 Aug 2013
At: Midwest Bike & Tandem
1691 Plymouth Road
Ann Arbor, MI
Group ride from shop: 9 AM
Recumbent Jamboree: 11 AM-2 PM
11 AM: Buying your first recumbent talk.

I took a look at the Sun EZ and the upright seat is also the one that would work best for me as I also have a neck and back problem with nerve involvement. The laid back position puts too much strain on my neck. I like to do distance riding and a sore neck will put the brakes on distance achievement.

Michigan Recumbent Rallies (wrong date, sorry)

« on: April 13, 2008, 03:31:41 pm »

Beyond a doubt, many recumbent bikes were made for long-distance touring. In you live around lower Michigan, check out recumbents at the Michigan Recumbent Rally East (May 10th), Central (June 28th) or West (September 6th). All three events run from 10am until 3pm, have recumbent dealers, displays, test-rides and used recumbents for sale. For more information, visit www.wolverbents.org/events.
Sept 6th is my last chance this year.

Last edited by Sandy Barringer; 07-29-13 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Date correction Additional info.
Old 07-30-13, 03:51 PM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a grand day out today. Low eighties and very low humidity (rare for Washington DC this time of year). I'm beginning to see the benefits of riding over the elliptic already. I entered a short dirt trail which is slightly uphill. I reduced the gear to keep the revs up and hit it...I pulled the front wheels off the ground! I even crossed a difficult bridge NOT in the lowest gear. Still fun but I can't wait till my new Selle PMD TRK arrives. After a half-hour my butt begins to hurt.

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 07-30-13 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 04:31 PM
Ancient Mariner

Bikes: Giant Defy Comp 2, Specialized Rockhopper Hard Tail 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the desert, so my rides are early in the day out of necessity. I usually leave the house around 5:00am, and I'm back in the barn by 7:00. That pretty much limits me to whatever distance I can cover in two hours --- around 25 miles, but I am doing that daily, so I'm still getting the miles in. Riding in the dark is a little problematic, but there's very little traffic here, and I have a good headlight.

I have saddle problems, though. I noticed my relatively new saddle is wearing through the finish on the nose of the saddle, which suggests I might be having an inappropriate relationship with the thing. I might try change it to a slightly more nose-down attitude, but that has it's own problems, i.e. forward creep.

I'm seriously thinking of trying my Brooks B-17, which is the honey color, and looks awful on my black/red bike, but it does seem to have better spacing for my sit bones.
Old 07-30-13, 05:53 PM
bald1

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for OC Seniors

Just found this great thread. 67 and 250 lbs, planning on 210 by end of year. Starting Gran Fondos at 25-30 mile mark. Anyone in or near Orange County, California interested in weekday rides? Would love some company and inspiration.

Last edited by bald1; 07-30-13 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-30-13, 06:17 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by bald1
Just found this great thread. 67 and 250 lbs, planning on 210 by end of year. Starting Gran Fondos at 25-30 mile mark. Anyone in or near Orange County, California interested in weekday rides? Would love some company and inspiration.
Welcome - Check out the So Cal regional forum for ride partners.
Old 08-04-13, 09:33 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thankful for what I can still do

I rode the Marin 100K yesterday which for the San Francisco Bay area is a medium hard ride (3800' of climbing). My immediate post-ride reaction was "When am I going to be able to finish one of these things feeling stronger" followed by "What will I need to do to get ready for a Century?".

Upon later reflection I decided that I'm darn thankful I am to be healthy enough to be active and able to keep my weight down to something reasonable. My perspective is that life is a "use it or loose it" game, physical and mental and I'm really heartened by the stories of those who are experience physical challenges but still get out there and ride.
Old 08-05-13, 01:50 PM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Bikes: Dahon Espresso 26" and Raleigh Passage 4.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden about 9,000 miles on my SPYDERFLEX seat and that has really made it possible for me to ride - before that every conventional type seat I tried made my "crotchal-groinal areas go numb. Like has been said before, whatever works but don'tquit trying different seats if the one you have isn't working for you. I'm 70 and that seat made it possibe for me to enjoy biking again. Any money you spend on a bike to get it right for you is still a lot cheaper than not riding and letting your health go bad on you for lack of exercise. I never get bored when riding but I sure do just walking. Have a good one and remember to keep that RUBBER SIDE D-O-W-N! 8-) Oh, yeah, the Spyderflex seat is composed of two pads with no center section so there is not pressure on your NETHER REGIONS. Hey, it works for me. 8-)
Old 08-08-13, 09:32 PM
Peacemaker11

Bikes: Sun EZ-3 trike, quadcycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I turned 68 this year and new to the BF. I try to ride 10 to 15 miles every morning here in the NV desert. I ride a Sun delta trike with a real good padded seat and have no problems with sore or numb butt. However I do sometimes have problems with my hands going numb. When I rode a DF bike I had that numb butt etc and did not like that feeling. Much better riding a recumbent for me.
Old 08-12-13, 07:02 AM
Sandy Barringer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update on my status: Just got my mother out of rehab and I'm locked into this house taking care of her like it's a prison! She can't be left alone for any length of time, and until I get home health aides to come in give me some time off, I won't be on the bike much unless I start doing major time on the trainer. It is affecting my health. Stress is a killer and I have plenty of that. The bike is supposed to be my destressor, but if I can't get on it and ride, it's not going to be anything for me but a wish sitting in the garage! I did ride every day, a minimum of 20 miles maintenance. I miss it so much. Be so glad you can get out on the road and keep yourself healthy. I'm 69 and already know the lesson about use it or lose it. Right now, I'm gradually losing it. Actually, I probably will end up putting my mother in a residential faciltiy or I'm going to end up in the hospital myself. Enjoy your rides. Wish I were out there with you!
Old 08-12-13, 07:04 PM
tcdwrench

Bikes: 1975 Italvega Super Speciale,late 80's Paganini Mistrall,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest "meet up.com". They have lists by area. ALSO....you might consider trying the American Diabetes Association "Tour de Cure" on Nov 2 this year. It is at Rancho Santa Margarita. You'll find it online at "diabetes.org" look for Tour de Cure and sign up. You could not ride for a better cause! I'll be there ridding the 66 mile course.
Old 08-13-13, 06:52 PM
Lacumo
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sandy---My heart goes out to you. I wish I had something to say that would be of help/inspiration/comfort/support/anything to you, but it seems I just don't have anything to offer that runs that deep. I went through a similarly abysmal period a while ago. It was a real "Mission:Hopeless" scenario, it developed a mind, will and life of its own, it ran its own course and it finally came to an end. Hang in there. With luck and time, I expect that things will improve for you. Best of luck with it...
Old 08-17-13, 05:45 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Am I the only 65+ person with weight loss problems?
Since we moved to FL (9 months ago) it seems we eat out a lot more. My wife is semi-retired from cooking.
Consequently I've put on ~10# and no matter how careful I am with food choices and amounts when we eat out and no matter how many miles or hills (yes there are a few of them around here) I ride, I can't drop the 10#. Before we left Atlanta my cardiologist wanted me to lose 20-25 pounds. Now I'm 10# heavier. I hope he doesn't find out.
FYI: We've always eaten healthy, organic, etc. Much better than almost everyone we know.
So, is it an age thing to put on weight at this stage of our lives? Got any suggestions?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-17-13, 07:24 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by RonH
Am I the only 65+ person with weight loss problems?
Since we moved to FL (9 months ago) it seems we eat out a lot more. My wife is semi-retired from cooking.
Consequently I've put on ~10# and no matter how careful I am with food choices and amounts when we eat out and no matter how many miles or hills (yes there are a few of them around here) I ride, I can't drop the 10#. Before we left Atlanta my cardiologist wanted me to lose 20-25 pounds. Now I'm 10# heavier. I hope he doesn't find out.
FYI: We've always eaten healthy, organic, etc. Much better than almost everyone we know.
So, is it an age thing to put on weight at this stage of our lives? Got any suggestions?
My wife (75 yo) is on Weight Watchers (online) and it is working great for her - lost 6 lbs so far. She hates the meetings - to which she no longer need attend, but loves their exercise counter device which is the size of a flash card and downloads to the USB port. She charts her intake daily on line - and is mostly eating Lean Cuisine. She also has unlimited fruit and veggies under the plan. She has increased her exercise a bit, but has always exercised.

In the meantime, I have lost 7 pounds simply by sort of following her diet, cutting out breads almost entirely, and keeping the exercise up.

If we eat out, we invariably share a meal, and, most time, even then, it is too much for us and we don't eat it all.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-18-13 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-17-13, 11:24 PM
RCPlains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich Gibson
What a grand day out today. Low eighties and very low humidity (rare for Washington DC this time of year). I'm beginning to see the benefits of riding over the elliptic already. I entered a short dirt trail which is slightly uphill. I reduced the gear to keep the revs up and hit it...I pulled the front wheels off the ground! I even crossed a difficult bridge NOT in the lowest gear. Still fun but I can't wait till my new Selle PMD TRK arrives. After a half-hour my butt begins to hurt.
How's the new saddle working out and which model did you get?
Old 08-18-13, 05:01 AM
Rich Gibson 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RCPlains
How's the new saddle working out and which model did you get?
I ordered the Selle SMP TRK when I was encountering numbness but that disappeared by the time the Selle arrived, so I switched...because I bought it. I'm getting into high mileage (22,24, and 25) and am encountering some irritation. I'm not sure if it's because of wearing the shorts for a few hours after riding a couple of days ago or the seat. I'm not getting any numbness, just a pinching sensation when I ride. I'm not sure how much detail to go into but I'm trying some Desitin (zinc oxide). I'm new at this and need to discuss the 'fit' of the riding shorts with someone with more experience.

I may try the second seat again to isolate the cause of the problem.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Gibson; 08-18-13 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-18-13, 11:10 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
My wife (75 yo) is on Weight Watchers (online) and it is working great for her - lost 6 lbs so far. She hates the meetings - to which she no longer need attend, but loves their exercise counter device which is the size of a flash card and downloads to the USB port. She charts her intake daily on line - and is mostly eating Lean Cuisine. She also has unlimited fruit and veggies under the plan. She has increased her exercise a bit, but has always exercised.

In the meantime, I have lost 7 pounds simply by sort of following her diet, cutting out breads almost entirely, and keeping the exercise up.
Glad to hear you're both doing well with WW.
I tried it 2 years ago and gained 3 pounds the first week. I did all the exercise/activity things and never went over my food allowance for any day so decided that wasn't going the work for me. I couldn't afford to keep on experimenting and chance gaining another 3 pounds the following week.
I've cut out bread entirely. I found out about a month ago I have a slight allergy to wheat, not gluten, but wheat.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
If we eat out, we invariably share a meal, and, most time, even then, it is too much for us and we don't eat it all.
Same here. We've followed that rule for several years.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-18-13, 05:44 PM
Peacemaker11

Bikes: Sun EZ-3 trike, quadcycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know how hard it is to lose weight. The doctor at the VA had me go to a program named MOVE at one of the clinics here in Las Vegas. They put me on a 1500-1700 calorie diet a day. Since the first of the year I have lost 37#s. I weigh and measure almost everything I eat. Eating lots of vegies and couple fresh fruits a day, plus drink over 130 ozs of water everyday. Only bread I eat is whole or multi grain. It is working for me. Started at over 269 and am down to 232. I never thought I would see the day where I would watch everything I eat, but now I am in the habit and it is easy. Good luck, it does not get easy as we grow older.
Old 08-19-13, 05:42 AM
RonH
Life is good

How do you have any energy to ride eating only 1500-1700 calories a day? On many of my rides I burn that many calories.

Old 08-19-13, 08:44 AM
Sandy Barringer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lacumo
Sandy---My heart goes out to you. I wish I had something to say that would be of help/inspiration/comfort/support/anything to you, but it seems I just don't have anything to offer that runs that deep. I went through a similarly abysmal period a while ago. It was a real "Mission:Hopeless" scenario, it developed a mind, will and life of its own, it ran its own course and it finally came to an end. Hang in there. With luck and time, I expect that things will improve for you. Best of luck with it...
Lacumo,
Thanks so much for your reply. I hate to ***** and moan, but this situation is Mission Hopeless and getting worse. Her decline is so fast!
But, I have good news guys. I had Life Line installed for my Mom and that gives me some time to get out and bike and not worry about her falling without me being there constantly to watch. Being there to watch is not going to stop her falling; it just burns up my time for no reason. I can pick up the pieces and do whatever is needed, or 911 guys can come and pick up the pieces. In both cases, 911 will have to be called. I can't pick her up; she's dead weight and can't help at all.
The really good news: Saturday, I got out of my prison and went on a bike ride. A little piddly 13 miles. But, on my way out, I saw a garage sale and a Terra Trike sitting there for sale for a really good price. Of course, it needs some repairs (rear wheel badly needed truing, rear brake lever was broken, gear shifter works but the cable adjuster is cracked and won't adjust the cable, and the gear cable is badly frayed). But, I bought it and had it rolling smoothly truing the rear wheel, in about an hour. Front brakes are in great shape, those being disc brakes. Rear brake is a roller brake. So, with a little repair work, I'll have that recumbant trike I wanted. Who would have thought I'd find it one block from my house! BTW, I love rebuilding bikes, so this is a plum for me. What a sweet ride and it's fast for a 7 speed. Yup, it falls into the category of an "antique" but I have a stable full of antiques that are sweet rides compared to the newer stuff the bike companies are producing. I think I put about 15 miles on the Terra trike, but without a computer I'm just guessing. It does hills better than I thought it would. All in all, that's good news.
Old 08-19-13, 09:56 AM
Lacumo
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on getting out for the ride! A "piddly little 13 miles" is many universes longer than zero miles. Better yet, running into that "fixer-upper" Terra Trike for a hot price is a dream and the fact that you're capable of fixing it up and getting it roadworthy yourself (no kick-in-the-head LBS overhaul bill) makes it a lifetime-quality dream! Sounds to me like that 13-mile ride was a better ride than any that I've enjoyed in years on end.

Hand in there with your mother's situation. It will run its own course in its own time and all you can really do is what's needed/expected of you and going with the flow. Best of luck with it and enjoy the new trike too!
Old 08-19-13, 03:37 PM
RonH
Life is good

Congrats on the 13 miles and the new trike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.