Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

More bicycles purchased than cars in first 4 months of 2009?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-21-09, 09:09 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts

Has anyone else seen this statistic and can vouch for it's accuracy? I stumbled upon it here, here's the quote in full: "In fact, in the first four months of 2009, more bicycles were sold in the US than cars and trucks put together (over 2.55 million bicycles were purchased, compared to fewer than 2.4 million cars and trucks). How utterly cool."

It would be great if that is true, wouldn't it?
Old 07-21-09, 09:23 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Here in Australia bicycles have out sold cars every year since 2001 (and probably a long time before that). What I don't see is people riding those bikes everyday, in fact, I remember reading a statistic a couple of years back saying that while the number of bicycles sold has never been higher, the number of kilometres actually ridden has never been lower. Most of those bikes seem to be buried in garages, and in many ways I'm glad they are. Do you really want to lose your advantage in heavy traffic? Do you really want to see cycling taxed the way motoring is now? Do you really want a heap of people taking up cycling without any training, experience or even a clue in many instances?

That is all.
Old 07-21-09, 09:30 PM
cervantes3773

Bikes: None yet - help!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
...and in many ways I'm glad they are. Do you really want to lose your advantage in heavy traffic? Do you really want to see cycling taxed the way motoring is now? Do you really want a heap of people taking up cycling without any training, experience or even a clue in many instances?
Sure. Let 'em all take up cycling and let Darwin, then God, sort them out.
Old 07-22-09, 08:07 AM
Big M
I am Joe's lactic acid.

Bikes: 2008 Windsor Cyclo, and some spares.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard this statistic a while ago, and then discovered that it's not even newsworthy; bikes have long outsold cars.

But what I've never seen info on (nor bothered to research) is what kind of bikes these are. I'd hypothesize that the market is fueled by kids bikes and by adults who get the urge to start biking, buy the cheapest POS they find at Target, then get bored with it. It's easy to let a $199 toy collect dust in the garage. That doesn't happen with a car.

This statistic shouldn't be a surprise. Most of these bikes are three-figure price tags. Naturally, more consumers can afford to buy them, and buy more of them.
Old 07-24-09, 03:03 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoes have outsold bikes every year for all of history. Bikes must be on the way out.
Old 07-24-09, 03:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It's true on my block. I'm sure that's a representative sample.