Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

More bad news involving cyclist/SUV encounter

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 05:45 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

From the local paper:

An off-duty Louisville Metro Police officer — described by colleagues as a man devoted to his family — was killed Thursday while cycling near his home in Spencer County.

Officer Paul Pegram, 40, was an eight-year veteran of the department and served in the former Jefferson County Police before city-county merger, according to officers who knew him.

Pegram was struck about 9:45 a.m. by a vehicle on Briar Ridge Road roughly five miles east of Taylorsville and about a mile from the entrance to Taylorsville Lake State Park, said police spokesman Dwight Mitchell.

He had stopped and was off his bicycle when a westbound Hyundai SUV driven by Daryl M. Fogle, 37, of Mount Eden, struck him from behind, according to Mitchell and the Kentucky State Police.

The entire article may be found here: https://www.courier-journal.com/artic...+while+cycling

If I've identified the location correctly, this might have been on the course of this year's Masters Natz TTs.

Every time I got passed today I cringed, although no one came within five feet of me. It has gotten a lot of local attention, partly because he apparently was a very nice guy (even though I don't guess it should have made a difference if he were a jerk), and partly because it involved a policeman.

I suspect if the driver was impaired or negligent she will not get the usual slap on the wrist. One can always hope.
Old 10-02-10, 06:04 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
... It has gotten a lot of local attention, partly because he apparently was a very nice guy (even though I don't guess it should have made a difference if he were a jerk), and partly because it involved a policeman.

I suspect if the driver was impaired or negligent she will not get the usual slap on the wrist. One can always hope.
Don't get your hopes up. About 10 years ago a popular 43-year-old deputy DA and mother of two died from injuries sustained when she was out jogging and an 18-year-old kid fell asleep at the wheel, crossed the centerline, and pnned her to against a tree. The kid had been up all night for a grad night party and was obviously in no condition to drive himself home. No fine, no penalty ...
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-02-10, 06:19 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
RIP and prayers for his family.
Old 10-02-10, 06:35 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
So sad. RIP Officer Pegram.
Old 10-02-10, 06:50 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
When will it end?
RIP.
Old 10-02-10, 10:14 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad indeed...
Old 10-03-10, 11:08 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
When will it end?
RIP.
Sadly to say, there is no end in sight. Unless, and that is a big unless too, the police start STRICT ENFORCEMENT of safety rules towards bicycles, and dishing out TOUGH SENTENCES for drivers that break bike safety rules.

Until they start those two, the end is nowhere in sight. We will have to live with it, or stop riding. The latter is not an option for me.

Again, RIP to a brave young officer.
Old 10-03-10, 11:26 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Sadly to say, there is no end in sight. Unless, and that is a big unless too, the police start STRICT ENFORCEMENT of safety rules towards bicycles, and dishing out TOUGH SENTENCES for drivers that break bike safety rules.

Until they start those two, the end is nowhere in sight. We will have to live with it, or stop riding. The latter is not an option for me.

Again, RIP to a brave young officer.
The police don't "dish out" the sentences. The courts do, supposedly in compliance with the applicable laws. That is where the change has to come, with the enforcement of current laws and with the law makers with new laws - as a start. Once the laws are in place, then we need to get the police and DA's to bring charges and prosecute.

Accomplishing the above is an almost impossible task.
Old 10-03-10, 11:50 AM
wink

Bikes: EZ Sport AX- Specialized Expedition Plus eight others for wife and others that come down

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have stopped riding some of the routes that I was riding from close calls with people on cell phones and some just will not move over.here we have a 3 foot law but that is a joke.I have never heard of any one getting ticked for not obeying it.
Old 10-03-10, 11:56 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How sad. The officer was not cycling when he was hit - he was off his bike and a pedestrian.
Old 10-03-10, 02:14 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Highway deaths are a bigger problem than cycling. I wanted to approach it as a cycling problem, but if you take a look at the number of deaths each year on the highways you will find that cycling injuries/deaths are hardly noticeable.

In our small rural state we have 600 highway deaths per year. SIX HUNDRED. Each Monday morning I check the newspaper to find 3 or 4 or 5 or more persons were killed in auto accidents. It seems to never end and these deaths are written up in a small section of the paper and never heard of again.

We can try to make changes concerning cycling deaths, but we are fighting a whole army with a pea shooter.
Old 10-03-10, 02:34 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
We don't need special laws just for cyclists, we need laws enforced that hold people accountable across the board, no matter what the form of transportation. There are people hit and killed while in motor vehicles that brings no charges.

The article does not say whether the rider was on the roadway or a shoulder. When you stop, get off the road. I see cyclists do this a lot. Drivers need to pay attention, but let's reduce our chances.
Old 10-03-10, 03:49 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by BikeArkansas
Highway deaths are a bigger problem than cycling. I wanted to approach it as a cycling problem, but if you take a look at the number of deaths each year on the highways you will find that cycling injuries/deaths are hardly noticeable.

In our small rural state we have 600 highway deaths per year. SIX HUNDRED. Each Monday morning I check the newspaper to find 3 or 4 or 5 or more persons were killed in auto accidents. It seems to never end and these deaths are written up in a small section of the paper and never heard of again.

We can try to make changes concerning cycling deaths, but we are fighting a whole army with a pea shooter.
Well, we changed some laws here in CO. Will these reduce deaths/injuries? I don't know - the changes are relatively new. The 3 foot rule; allowing a car to cross a double yellow line to pass, restricting double bicycling.

Interestingly enough, every year we have massive campaigns about lightning safety in Colorado - TV, newspaper, etc., etc. Yet, there are only a few folks killed by lightning each year (both in CO and the US of A) - far, far less than the number of bicyclists killed by cars, the number of pedestrians killed by cars, or the number of motorists killed by cars. Why is that? Why does lightning get so much attention from the press, but right hooks are never mentioned, nor tail gaiting, hardly even drunken driving?

Summer is the peak season for severe weather. In the United States, on average, approximately 60 people are killed each year by lightning.

https://cbs4denver.com/weatherupdates...2.1056281.html

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-03-10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-03-10, 04:27 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6761 Post(s)
Liked 5,468 Times in 3,217 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Well, we changed some laws here in CO. Will these reduce deaths/injuries? I don't know -
Listening to NPR program (Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, I think) and heard a some one citing a study that "texting-while-driving" laws are having the opposite effect of what was intended. Instead of texting at steering wheel level where there is some chance of watching the road now it's being done in the lap.

This is an entertainment program and no source was mentioned as I recall. May be incorrect but it sounds about right.

I met a guy at a neighborhood party and I had seen this individual riding his bike past my house on several occasions. Always helmet-less.

I asked him why he didn't wear one. His reply (which I found to miss the point) was that he felt all safety equipment did was promote riskier behavior.

When I asked for an example he cited air bags in cars as a prime example. He thought that if you really wanted to make people drive cautiously there would be a spike that came out of the steering wheel rather than an air pillow.

No this was not chipcom.
Old 10-03-10, 04:44 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
The police don't "dish out" the sentences. The courts do, supposedly in compliance with the applicable laws.
The courts don't do anything unless the police bring them something.
Old 10-03-10, 04:50 PM
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We recently passed a three-foot passing/no-harassment of cyclists law here in Louisiana. I'm willing to bet that most motorists don't know about the law, so I wonder what good does it really do? Shortly after passage of the law a motorist driving an SUV struck a cyclist from behind on River Road and left him unconscious in a water-filled ditch. The cyclist was a PhD student and member of the LSU Cycling Team. Thankfully, he was discovered (by other cyclists) and the motorist (a local sports bar/restaurant manager who was driving with a suspended license) was eventually arrested. The cyclist will recover - that's the most important part. I don't know if the motorist is free on bail or not. If he's free, he may still be driving - and menacing other cyclists.

Until motorists take laws seriously and stop driving while texting, drunk or otherwise impaired/distracted, I don't expect the situation to improve. The cops and the courts can only do so much.
Old 10-03-10, 05:37 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
The courts don't do anything unless the police bring them something.
Absolutely agree, which is why I stated in my post:

Once the laws are in place, then we need to get the police and DA's to bring charges and prosecute.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-03-10 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-03-10, 07:11 PM
OldLog

Bikes: Felt Z85

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UIntil the country as a whole gets serious about outlawing cell phones etc while driving deaths cause by negligent drivers will keep increasing. The reason there is no out cry is simple. Everyone does it and thinks it doesn't effect their driving. Wrong same as drinking while driving . Next time you are on the road just watch and see the number of jerks using a cell phone while driving. Epademic to say the least.
Old 10-03-10, 07:40 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I don't think the cell phone and texting laws are going to do much to solve the problem. It is a problem caused by misuse of technology and I think it will require a technological solution. Make the phones incapable of being operated by someone driving a car.
Old 10-03-10, 07:42 PM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ciocc_cat
We recently passed a three-foot passing/no-harassment of cyclists law here in Louisiana. I'm willing to bet that most motorists don't know about the law, so I wonder what good does it really do? Shortly after passage of the law a motorist driving an SUV struck a cyclist from behind on River Road and left him unconscious in a water-filled ditch. The cyclist was a PhD student and member of the LSU Cycling Team. Thankfully, he was discovered (by other cyclists) and the motorist (a local sports bar/restaurant manager who was driving with a suspended license) was eventually arrested. The cyclist will recover - that's the most important part. I don't know if the motorist is free on bail or not. If he's free, he may still be driving - and menacing other cyclists.

Until motorists take laws seriously and stop driving while texting, drunk or otherwise impaired/distracted, I don't expect the situation to improve. The cops and the courts can only do so much.
Well, I hope the driver also has to pay civil damages to the cyclist. Driving with a suspended license and all I would think a jury would be willing to award substantial damages even if the criminal justice system lets him off easy.
Old 10-03-10, 10:11 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
It is a problem caused by misuse of technology
No, it's a problem of an uncaring attitude toward the damage a car can cause. There are still plenty of drivers out there distracted by food, shaving, etc.

What we need is a much tougher driving test, and a court system that's willing to actually take the license away and require that the entire test be retaken at the end of the suspension period. If people had to demonstrate such skills as panic stopping on wet pavement, skid control, and dealing with unexpected obstacles at highway speeds, a lot of them wouldn't pass at all, and most would be terrified of doing anything that might result in them having to do it again.
Old 10-04-10, 04:34 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
No, it's a problem of an uncaring attitude toward the damage a car can cause. There are still plenty of drivers out there distracted by food, shaving, etc.

What we need is a much tougher driving test, and a court system that's willing to actually take the license away and require that the entire test be retaken at the end of the suspension period. If people had to demonstrate such skills as panic stopping on wet pavement, skid control, and dealing with unexpected obstacles at highway speeds, a lot of them wouldn't pass at all, and most would be terrified of doing anything that might result in them having to do it again.
I don't disagree with what you said, but the electronic devices are a special subset of distracted driving. They will be abused as long as they are capable of being abused. Changing people's attitudes is a worthwhile goal, but changing the devices can happen much quicker.
Old 10-04-10, 05:30 AM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do believe the number of highway deaths per year in the USA were hgiher a few decades ago when there were no cell phones. It is just the excuse of the day for poor driving.
Old 10-04-10, 05:39 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wink
I have stopped riding some of the routes that I was riding from close calls with people on cell phones and some just will not move over.here we have a 3 foot law but that is a joke.I have never heard of any one getting ticked for not obeying it.
In my town, they just passed the 3 foot rule, and the cell phone ban.. Will see what happens..
Old 10-04-10, 06:53 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
From the local paper:

An off-duty Louisville Metro Police officer — described by colleagues as a man devoted to his family — was killed Thursday while cycling near his home in Spencer County.

Officer Paul Pegram, 40, was an eight-year veteran of the department and served in the former Jefferson County Police before city-county merger, according to officers who knew him.

Pegram was struck about 9:45 a.m. by a vehicle on Briar Ridge Road roughly five miles east of Taylorsville and about a mile from the entrance to Taylorsville Lake State Park, said police spokesman Dwight Mitchell.

He had stopped and was off his bicycle when a westbound Hyundai SUV driven by Daryl M. Fogle, 37, of Mount Eden, struck him from behind, according to Mitchell and the Kentucky State Police.

The entire article may be found here: https://www.courier-journal.com/artic...+while+cycling

If I've identified the location correctly, this might have been on the course of this year's Masters Natz TTs.

Every time I got passed today I cringed, although no one came within five feet of me. It has gotten a lot of local attention, partly because he apparently was a very nice guy (even though I don't guess it should have made a difference if he were a jerk), and partly because it involved a policeman.

I've been to Taylorsville and the surrounding area a time or two messing around with the terriers. It's beautiful country well suited to biking. But those roads, they are not good. Very sad story, but aren't they all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.