Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

backpacs vs. messenger bags

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-05, 05:55 PM
miyooo

Bikes: miyata 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've been using a regular backpack as i ride around...but it's becoming pretty hard on my back (especially with leaning over.) i know getting a messenger bag is an option, but wasn't sure if they're so popular because of comfort or just kindof a trend....

before i invest, just want to see if anyone has experiences/advice on the subject.
thanks, kelly
Old 01-03-05, 06:06 PM
junioroverlord
Better than you since 83!

Bikes: Fixed Gear 79 Schwinn Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfort most definately, though yeah its starting to become a trend. Think of all the messengers out there that carry packages on thier backs all day long, what do they wear? Messenger bags. They're meant for bike riding, the good ones have padded backs and straps that put the weight of the bag in the right place for riding.
Old 01-03-05, 06:14 PM
meat_toothpaste

Bikes: Bianchi Pista & beater Centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfort is all a personal thing. I have ridden both and prefer the even weight distribution of a nicely designed back pack for longer rides. A good back pack will place some of the weight on your lower back, alleviating your upper back and shoulders of bearing the load.

I ride with a Boblbee People's Delite pack and really enjoy its comfort. It was designed for a more upright walking posture, but I find it still works great on a bike too. They are not cheap though, but the price is on par with a quality messenger bag like the ones from Chome.

The hardshell is also fun to decorate. I have reflective tape on mine.

Old 01-03-05, 06:23 PM
meat_toothpaste

Bikes: Bianchi Pista & beater Centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One note about the messenger bag. For biking, you need a "real" messenger bag like the ones by Chrome, Crumpler, Timbuk2 or RE-load. These bags have the secondary stabilizer strap that keeps the bag from sliding forward to the the side when riding.

Fashion style messenger bags from the Gap, Urban Outfitters or where ever do not have this additional strap and are meant to be used as a pedestrian "man purse". These bags will slide around and forward when you ride.

For some eye candy, go to the Timbuk2 site and watch the photo animation of the model demonstrating the secondary stabilizer strap in the "How to wear" section.
https://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/productInfo/howToWear.t2

Last edited by meat_toothpaste; 01-03-05 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 06:47 PM
Bike_13
lover ....

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooh yeah, and the crumpler site stirs me a bit too!

I have been a commuter, messenger, and rider for over 15 years now, and my preference is a messenger bag. The weight stays lower, and with the stabiliser strap, doesn't move.

Also, the single strap design means you can get into the bag without taking it off. This is most likely the reason why they are so popular with messengers.

The only downside is that (if you ride with one off road - which I would not recommend) they can shift around on consistently bumpy trails.

There are heaps of brands out there, but my preference is Timbuk2. During many years our couriering (you guys call it messenger(ing)?) Timbuk2 are the most waterproof.

Crumpler's are the coolest looking though - and their quality is now almost as good as the boring old Timbuk2.

As for backpacks - there has been a whole lot more recent development done on these (by the technical manufacturers like Deuter) to make them more comfortable for riding, and as a result, they are probably much better to use now than ten years ago (last time I used a backpack) when there was not really bike specific ones around.

So, my advice. Check them out. Try some Mess Bags - see if you like the way they feel. Check out what Deuter makes in the bike backpack range - maybe they will suit you better.

Either way, you will get a bag that is DESIGNED for what you will use it for - much better than just using any old bag!
Old 01-03-05, 06:57 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MERTON
good god man!! get a backpack!! i have a mess bag!! it sucks!! get a dank! he'll do what ever ya say!!
When you order make sure they include the thicker rubber strip.
Old 01-03-05, 07:04 PM
miyooo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, yeah i was thinking about getting one from target but then figured there's a reason that real messenger bags cost so much more.

here's one i was looking at
i'll probably keep looking, though.

meat, those hardshell packs look really nice too--i'd like to try one out if i'm able to find one.
Old 01-03-05, 07:13 PM
miyooo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah crumplers have a nice design...expensive but cool. then again, probably not much different in price any other.

i'm really tight on cash so i'll probably have to find a used bag, through ebay or somehting. if anyone's looking to sell one, i'd check that out, too.
Old 01-03-05, 07:14 PM
Corsaire
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Between a backpack and a messenger bag, I choose: panniers!

Corsaire
Old 01-03-05, 08:58 PM
Bike_13
lover ....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's one i was looking at
i'll probably keep looking, though.

[QUOTE]

Look okay to me, but make sure it has the additional stabiliser strap!
Old 01-03-05, 09:49 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chrome Bags are all about comfort.
From the plush shoulder strap to the way it conforms to you back... and the optional cell phone holder rocks. (don't talk and ride, pull over and stop before talking on your cell!)
www.chromebags.com
Old 01-03-05, 10:13 PM
sbeatonNJ
"I love lamp"

Bikes: 06 Fuji Track with upgrades, 06 Redline Flight Monocog, 01 Trek XO1, 2003 Cervelo P3, 2006 Bianchi San Jose monstercross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jandd Hurricane series is my reccomendation. Go to their website they have some older designs on clearance really cheap, well cheap in relations to a comparable bag from another company. I have the second to largest size the INIKI I think its called. I am very happy with it, now I just need to scrape together a few bucks to get the a phone holder, ditty bag, and the bigger strap pad.
I have used backpacks but I really like the messenger style bag better. I also used panniers (the nashbar pannier/backpack) but that is no longer practical for my situation. I just found that a backpack big enough to hold all my stuff did not sit as well on my back as a messenger bag that would hold all my stuff.
Old 01-03-05, 10:17 PM
TrevorInSoCal

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy (fixed-gear commuter), Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS, Trek Madone 5.5, Specialized Allez Comp, Marin Mt. Vision Pro, Specialized M2 Hardtail, beater Nishiki fixed-gear conversion, Gary Fisher Rig 29er SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meat_toothpaste
For some eye candy, go to the Timbuk2 site and watch the photo animation of the model demonstrating the secondary stabilizer strap in the "How to wear" section.
Yeah, she's pretty cute, but I wear mine a lot higher on my back than that. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it works for me.

FWIW, when I first started commuting I used a JanSport backpack and it drove me nuts 'cause it shifted all over the place. I switched to a Timbuk2 El Ocho (I think that equates to the current "Large", they don't name 'em anymore.) and have been using that since. There are drawbacks and advantages to both. A backpack gives more even weight distribution, and is less likely to make one shoulder sore, but is less convenient if you need to stop and dig around in it (For us civilians, that means throwing a burrito or book or cd in there. For messengers that means precious time saved getting in and out of drop-offs.), and for me at least, shifts around a lot.

I've considered upgrading as something like a Chrome or Reload looks more comfortable and stable, but my Timbuk2 is still going strong. Why buy more $hit I don't *really* need, eh? If you do go with a messenger bag look around, maybe try a few on. There is a lot more selection in the inventory of larger bike stores than there was when I got mine (trendiness has its advantages), or I probably would've ended up w/ something other than Timbuk2. It's not a bad bag, I just think it could be better...

-Trevor
Old 01-03-05, 10:21 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miyooo
yeah crumplers have a nice design...expensive but cool. then again, probably not much different in price any other.

i'm really tight on cash so i'll probably have to find a used bag, through ebay or somehting. if anyone's looking to sell one, i'd check that out, too.
I got a crumpler real busy man that I don't use anymore.
Old 01-04-05, 11:49 AM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for: panniers! Why weigh yourself down? (Unless you need a man purse. )
Old 01-04-05, 11:53 AM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lala
Another vote for: panniers! Why weigh yourself down? (Unless you need a man purse. )
It's not a purse, it's European!!!
Old 01-04-05, 12:20 PM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another vote for: panniers! Why weigh yourself down?
I read a lot about how people don't like the weight on their back so i got a rack and panniers after having my chrome for a while. First day out without my chrome this happened...
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=saved+life
Now i use both. Just my clothes in the chrome makes it nice and light and everything else in the panniers. Protects my back, has more big reflector strips on it making me more visible and I just feel safer overall. Without it I feel like I'm riding without a helmet or something.
Old 01-04-05, 12:33 PM
jerrryhazard

Bikes: 05 Giant Reign, Sette Shadow, parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Crumpler Seedy3 for just over a year now. It's tough, definately water proof, and more comfortable (imo) than a back pack. I wear it as high as I can on my back too. My big problem with backpacks was the strain that the weight it put on both shoulders and my neck. It didn't bother my back at all.

I find with the messenger back sitting up high, my back supports the weight a little more, and so there's little to no pull on my shoulders at all. I find this more comfortable, because I'm leaning forward a bit when I ride. Of course, if you ride in a more upright position, this may not be the case...
Old 01-04-05, 12:36 PM
junioroverlord
Better than you since 83!

Bikes: Fixed Gear 79 Schwinn Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comfort is all a personal thing. I have ridden both and prefer the even weight distribution of a nicely designed back pack for longer rides. A good back pack will place some of the weight on your lower back, alleviating your upper back and shoulders of bearing the load.

I ride with a Boblbee People's Delite pack and really enjoy its comfort. It was designed for a more upright walking posture, but I find it still works great on a bike too. They are not cheap though, but the price is on par with a quality messenger bag like the ones from Chome.

The hardshell is also fun to decorate. I have reflective tape on mine.

Is this something from Total Recall or what? This thing is cool. I want, I want!
Old 01-04-05, 01:02 PM
Paniolo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can see the allure of carrying the load on your back someone who gets on and off the bike a lot ... like a student or a messenger. For me as a ride the bike to work am and then pm commuter with in office storage capability I really prefer having the load lower and on the bike. The bike handles better and my muscles don't have to carry it. Plus stuff on my back just makes me sweat more, which is enough of a problem anyways. I love the old school saddlebag ... can't go wrong with Carradice
Old 01-04-05, 01:07 PM
miyooo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like that, too.
looks like a huge electric razor
Old 01-04-05, 01:09 PM
miyooo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=d2create]
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=saved+life
QUOTE]

wow.
Old 01-04-05, 01:39 PM
lala
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand that naked/exposed feeling. I felt it too when switching to panniers and when I started using the xtracycle. It's nice to have _something_ watching your back!
Old 01-04-05, 01:51 PM
Phiber
Cyclocrosser.

Bikes: '04 Marin Nail Trail, '04 Haro V-3, '05 Soul Monk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One note about the messenger bag. For biking, you need a "real" messenger bag like the ones by Chrome, Crumpler, Timbuk2 or RE-load. These bags have the secondary stabilizer strap that keeps the bag from sliding forward to the the side when riding.

Fashion style messenger bags from the Gap, Urban Outfitters or where ever do not have this additional strap and are meant to be used as a pedestrian "man purse". These bags will slide around and forward when you ride.

Wowzers. I'd wear her no problem. <_<

I am gonna get a DC-Incase for my iBook when I recieve it towards the end of the month. The white camo one.
Old 01-04-05, 05:12 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used panniers for several years, but now I'm commuting on my folding bike for the winter because I take the metro home at night. I need something I can put on my back when I fold up the bike and haul it up the stairs to the metro. So far I've found that panniers make folding the bike difficult if they are left on the bike, and they aren't too handy when they're off the bike.

So, I'm breaking down and getting a messenger bag, or maybe one of those boblebee packs. I'll have to try a few out to see what I like. Leaning toward a chrome messenger, or a Tumbuk2 commuter bag (has a handle like a briefcase).

We'll see if I go back to the panniers once it's light enough to ride home at night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.