Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The house feeds itself – with me, its unknowing supplier

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 08:15 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I remember returning from my last tour, on the road for three weeks, and how strange it seemed to be in this house of mine. Wow. What excess. Entire rooms filled with furniture, appliances, tools, a whole room for food preparation (known as a Kitchen). I didn’t have access to any of this stuff while I was on the road. My little world consisted of my bicycle and gear I carried under my own power. No more possessions than I’m willing to haul across the countryside.

I’ve gotten used to living here again now. It’s not strange anymore. But I have a new perspective. I know now, that all these possessions somehow justify themselves in a self-referencing sort of way. For example, I have a shed with a lawn mower and a bunch of garden tools. Imagine trying to carry that on my bicycle. But if I didn’t have a house with a yard I wouldn’t need all that stuff that’s there to take care of it. Likewise for all the cookware, or my big refrigerator and stove, etc. I see it this way because I more and more confirm for myself that a day to day healthful and sustainable existence doesn’t require more than I can carry on my bicycle. Life doesn’t have to be as complicated as the life I’ve designed seems to deem necessary.
Old 11-09-13, 08:23 AM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ain't that the truth but if you live in a house your gonna fill it full of junk you dont need or even use.
Old 11-09-13, 08:33 AM
choteau

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife likes "stuff", while I'm a material minimalist. She sees empty space to be filled, I see too much junk taking up too much space. Remember that stuff will expand to fill the available space.
Old 11-09-13, 11:55 AM
msviolin57
fiddling with my bike

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember feeling that way when I was on a tour a couple years ago, staying at a KOA one night. As I was leaving, carrying everything I needed on my bike, I passed a huge RV, which towed a car, had a satellite dish, chairs, etc. I was feeling pretty smug, I must say.
Old 11-09-13, 12:47 PM
Simon Cowbell

Bikes: Ti Lite and a Vaya

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I get that. Returning from a trip last summer I couldn't help but note that my sock drawer alone holds more volume than everything I'd been carrying for the past six weeks. It seemed unbelievable to me that someone could have that many socks! Then I started looking around at everything else - this whole house full of stuff that I love but don't really need.

Seriously, not three hours goes by in a day where I don't marvel at my good fortune.
Old 11-09-13, 02:26 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
This was a lesson my wife and I learned after our first long distance hike, five months on the PCT. My sock drawer, too, was an embarrassment of riches, not to mention the closet and kitchen.

What happens next? Are you going to apply the lessons you learned? In our case, we actually sold the house and moved into something much smaller, sold one car, and even quit our jobs when we found out how inexpensively we could live. We entered a barter economy in our community and ten years later, life just keeps getting better.

Good luck in your journey.
Old 11-09-13, 02:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
got used to staying in hostels , along the way would have been happy enough with a gig managing one.

came back and stayed a week or so in one while I removed my storage locker stuff .

then moved to a tourist destination town, with a long wet season.

Last went back to visit my home town, for Funerals .

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-09-13 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 06:00 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
This was a lesson my wife and I learned after our first long distance hike, five months on the PCT. My sock drawer, too, was an embarrassment of riches, not to mention the closet and kitchen.

What happens next? Are you going to apply the lessons you learned? In our case, we actually sold the house and moved into something much smaller, sold one car, and even quit our jobs when we found out how inexpensively we could live. We entered a barter economy in our community and ten years later, life just keeps getting better.

Good luck in your journey.
Thanks. That's what I want to get to...
Old 11-09-13, 07:13 PM
Aerohip

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Thanks. That's what I want to get to...
And after I tour for one year I wonder what will await me once I get back?
Old 11-09-13, 07:29 PM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A bunch of stuff that causes you to become stressed out why you even own in. In which you proceed to sell off, and begin living a much simpler life that everybody laughs at and yet you are truly happier than before.
Old 11-09-13, 08:28 PM
Aerohip

Originally Posted by SparkyGA
A bunch of stuff that causes you to become stressed out why you even own in. In which you proceed to sell off, and begin living a much simpler life that everybody laughs at and yet you are truly happier than before.
I'm at that point in my life right now. I am retiring in 2015(at 55)I have four daughters that are all grown up and am Divorced. I sold off my car, all my posessions will go then I'm off next year. I have no idea where/when I will return. I really don't care. I'm going to have the experience of my life...and who knows I may just continue until my body gives up on me...
Old 11-10-13, 04:06 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aerohip
I'm at that point in my life right now. I am retiring in 2015(at 55)I have four daughters that are all grown up and am Divorced. I sold off my car, all my posessions will go then I'm off next year. I have no idea where/when I will return. I really don't care. I'm going to have the experience of my life...and who knows I may just continue until my body gives up on me...
Ditto. I'm in about the same circumstances. Not retired yet but similarly soon. Riding from town to town, I don't feel the same stresses that I do at home. I don't have the same (largely self-induced) responsibilities limiting my freedom and comfort level. When I'm out in the wild elements living close to nature I have no nagging feeling that I should be spending my time any differently. The act of keeping myself fed and adequately cared for in general and enjoying the world and people around me is all I need. And if anybody else finds that silly or frivolous I don't care one smideon and probably aren't paying enough attention to know.

if I stay out much longer than I've been able to manage, that may change. I'll go where my heart leads me. And not until it does.
Old 11-10-13, 02:03 PM
Bradless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I long for on my first tour right after Christmas. I'll have two years of community college under my belt, two certifications that should land me a decent living while I continue college next semester. But before any of that continues, I just want to get away from everything, and just cycle for 2 weeks, spend time by myself.
Old 11-10-13, 02:40 PM
lhendrick

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like having a home to come back to. I cannot wait to leave it. I like touring on my bike. Can't wait to get back home.
Old 11-11-13, 06:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,532 Times in 7,328 Posts
Many years ago I did three long trips. Nearly 4 months, 7 weeks and 6 weeks respectively. The third trip ended in CO, where I met up with a woman I was dating. After her internship at Mesa Verde was over we did some car camping. Lots of stuff I didn't have when touring. Stuff like a lantern, cooler, board games and a second stove. I found the clutter hard to deal with, and what you needed at the moment always seemed to bbe burried under everything else in the trunk.
Old 11-11-13, 10:24 AM
Bike Hermit
ghost on a machine

Bikes: Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, Serotta Colorado Legend TG, Rivendell Roadeo, Surly Cross Check, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lhendrick
I like having a home to come back to. I cannot wait to leave it. I like touring on my bike. Can't wait to get back home.
Right, the contrasts give me a better perspective. I like bike touring and being more or less self-sufficient but being a homeless hobo on the bike doesn't appeal to me.
Old 11-11-13, 12:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,532 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by Bradless
I just want to get away from everything, and just cycle for 2 weeks, spend time by myself.
I did an 8-day solo trip in September. Despite some hard riding, some hot and humid days, some noisy camping experiences that left me with limited sleep and a massive thunder storm in camp I still found it relaxing. Try to live within each monent rather than thinking hours ahead.
Old 11-11-13, 01:07 PM
Aerohip

Originally Posted by Bike Hermit
Right, the contrasts give me a better perspective. I like bike touring and being more or less self-sufficient but being a homeless hobo on the bike doesn't appeal to me.
I guess I will be a homeless hobo for 8-12 months..Whats the point of paying for an empty Apartment for a year? I could use that Money on my Tour.
Old 11-11-13, 09:32 PM
Bradless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I will be a homeless hobo for 8-12 months..Whats the point of paying for an empty Apartment for a year? I could use that Money on my Tour.

I feel like I would enjoy this lifestyle, save up a bunch of money (12 grandish) and just tour till im down to 2 and come back and work again.
Old 11-11-13, 09:35 PM
Aerohip

I feel like I would enjoy this lifestyle, save up a bunch of money (12 grandish) and just tour till im down to 2 and come back and work again.

That's almost what I'm doing. I'm retiring in 2015(at 55)and after a year on the road in the US and South America I will come back and live on my Pension and possibly work part-time, save up some more $$ and head out again in 2017, this time to Europe. Life is good...
Old 11-11-13, 09:39 PM
Bradless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Europe <3 I want to cycle around the Hawaiian Island Maui, I want to cycle around the world. Why do I need to live a "normal" life for 30 more years?!
Old 11-11-13, 09:57 PM
Aerohip

Europe <3 I want to cycle around the Hawaiian Island Maui, I want to cycle around the world. Why do I need to live a "normal" life for 30 more years?!
I've been living a "Normal" life for 37 years. Went to school, got an Education, a career, got married, had kids, had lots of toys....Retiring soon,Divorced, four daughters are all grown up, and I've sold off most of my possessions(car, boat, motorcycle)..time to really live
Old 11-11-13, 10:03 PM
Bradless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been living a "Normal" life for 37 years. Went to school, got an Education, a career, got married, had kids, had lots of toys....Retiring soon,Divorced, four daughters are all grown up, and I've sold off most of my possessions(car, boat, motorcycle)..time to really live

Like I stated above, will be done with half of my expected college in december, but sometimes I feel like maybe that should be the end. Will see how this tour goes (:
Old 11-11-13, 10:05 PM
Aerohip

Like I stated above, will be done with half of my expected college in december, but sometimes I feel like maybe that should be the end. Will see how this tour goes (:
Where/when you headed?
Old 11-11-13, 10:07 PM
Bradless

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where/when you headed?
I live in the East Valley of Arizona, I plan on a 470 - 500 mile trip to Santa Monica Beach in California, spend two or three days there and then ride back. I plan on doing this the day after Christmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.