Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Five ten kestrel boa guide broken

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-23, 08:20 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I have a pair of five ten kestrels and the lace guide ripped off the shoe during a ride. The guide is the part of the shoe that boa lace goes through. It is sewn onto the shoe. According to BOA anything that is part of the shoe is not covered by warranty. Has anyone been able to fix this? Or does someone have a hack repair?

Two pics of the broken guide and one of an operational guide for reference attached.
Old 08-08-23, 01:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4468 Post(s)
Liked 4,133 Times in 2,762 Posts
What did Five Ten say. BOA may not cover it but Five Ten might? If not I would try some sort of adhesive or see if it can be re-sewn.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-08-23, 02:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4864 Post(s)
Liked 4,012 Times in 2,608 Posts
If you cannot get help an want to save those shoes, a Speedy Stitcher or equivalent sewing awl could stitch that guide back into place. The stitches would be against your foot, but mine does not have bony projections there and I don't think that I'd even notice. Probably most of $20 for the Speedy but it is so useful it could pay for itself many times over. And that thread is really strong.+

Edit: (on the fun side) If you had a double BOA system you could ride the shoes as is and still win the World Championships. (Mathieu van de Poel just did so after crashing 10 miles or so from the finish while on a breakaway. Crash damaged his cleat and broke one of the 2 BOAS. Damaged cleat cost him power but he tweaked the other BOA and managed to hold most of his lead and win by a minute or more.

I paid an absurd amount last summer for a pair of double BOA shoes. No, not for the BOA but because they were the cheapest shoes LAKE made with the 3-bolt cleat pattern and real leather uppers. I was about to ride Cycle Oregon on my fix gear usi+ng traditional slotted cleats; the new ones of which require that pattern. LAKE because their lasts fit wonderfully on these feet. Real leather because new shoes at the week-long Cycle Oregon on synthetic could turn into a h*** riding all those hills fix gear and I wouldn't know until I was far from any bike store.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-08-23 at 02:30 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-15-23, 10:28 AM
lyle.coop

I have to follow up with Addidas Five Ten Warranty group. They may cover it.
Old 08-15-23, 10:29 AM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
If you cannot get help an want to save those shoes, a Speedy Stitcher or equivalent sewing awl could stitch that guide back into place. The stitches would be against your foot, but mine does not have bony projections there and I don't think that I'd even notice. Probably most of $20 for the Speedy but it is so useful it could pay for itself many times over. And that thread is really strong.+

Edit: (on the fun side) If you had a double BOA system you could ride the shoes as is and still win the World Championships. (Mathieu van de Poel just did so after crashing 10 miles or so from the finish while on a breakaway. Crash damaged his cleat and broke one of the 2 BOAS. Damaged cleat cost him power but he tweaked the other BOA and managed to hold most of his lead and win by a minute or more.

I paid an absurd amount last summer for a pair of double BOA shoes. No, not for the BOA but because they were the cheapest shoes LAKE made with the 3-bolt cleat pattern and real leather uppers. I was about to ride Cycle Oregon on my fix gear usi+ng traditional slotted cleats; the new ones of which require that pattern. LAKE because their lasts fit wonderfully on these feet. Real leather because new shoes at the week-long Cycle Oregon on synthetic could turn into a h*** riding all those hills fix gear and I wouldn't know until I was far from any bike store.
Great idea on the Speedy Stitcher. There doesn't seem to be enough meat on the guide to make it work though. The guide broke off with part still on the shoe and the remainder is pictured in my original post. Maybe I can find something to use instead of the guide.