Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Losing studs from winter Marathon

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Losing studs from winter Marathon

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 09:01 AM
Jim Steele

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run Extreme 294s for 3 winters without losing a single stud. IMO, Schwalbe should replace the tires, not just the studs.
Old 12-20-11, 02:09 PM
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got my Marathon Winters last year and rode them 200 miles before the snow came and didn't lose a single stud. I then rode them all winter in the snow. When I took them off in the spring, I noticed that quite a few studs were missing. I'll need to look and count again, but I know I lost at least 6. I'll replace the missing studs after this winter.
This is on a single speed bike with 150lb rider. Tire is 26 x 1.75

Last edited by Glynis27; 12-20-11 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-20-11, 02:29 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It would be helpful to include the tire size as i suspect many people are losing these studs on the narrower tires, 700x35.
Old 12-20-11, 05:06 PM
hairytoes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not in my case. 26x1.75

In my contact email to Schwalbe I suggested that maybe the tyres were defective. The response was very fast (less than one hour), denying that they could be defective and offering replacement studs.
Old 12-21-11, 09:23 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After "running in" the tires (Schwalbe Marathon Winter 700c 35mm) per the manufacturer's recommendations, I didn't lose any studs in 2 years until I made an emergency skid (dry pavement) on the rear tire--lost about 6 studs.
Old 12-21-11, 11:05 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
It would be helpful to include the tire size as i suspect many people are losing these studs on the narrower tires, 700x35.
as far as I'm aware, marathon winter only comes in one width per tire size.
Old 12-21-11, 05:15 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by gbg
Man, I was a little peeved when I lost 1 stud in the back of my Nokian mount and grounds. That was in the first week of riding.
I haven't lost any since then and that was 3 years ago. And that was supporting 275-300lbs of bike and rider.
With my first set of M&G's I lost about 4 or 5 studs on my first ride. It was my fault though. I did some hard riding on dry pavement. I don't remember where I got the replacement studs from, but I do remember that they were on backorder for quite some time. The studs were replaced by working them into the cavities with a pair of needle nose pliers. Recommended tire pressure is 45 psi max. I inflated the tires to about 50 psi then rode them for 30 miles. Haven't lost a stud since.
Old 12-21-11, 08:04 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
as far as I'm aware, marathon winter only comes in one width per tire size.
Ah, the 700c is offered in at least two sizes... more in europe iirc.
Old 12-23-11, 08:58 AM
Seb71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last winter I bought a pair of Schwalbe Ice Spiker 26"x2.1 and used them (straight on ice and snow - did not break them in). Did not lost any stud.

This autumn I bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winter 26"x1.75. I put them on the bike I use in town. I inflated both at maximum pressure (5bar/70psi) and went for a quick ride around the house (on dry pavement). I used the brakes to test the behavior, but not aggressively. Next day, when I took the bike from the garage, some studs droped to the ground. I recovered 6 studs and checked the wheels. 7 studs were missing from the front wheel (back wheel had all the studs). I reinserted those 6 studs on the front wheel and lowered the pressure on both wheels (3bar/40psi). Since then, in the next 40km (on dry roads) I lost 2 more studs, both from front wheel. Once I had to make a sudden brake - maybe then I lost those 2 studs. Two studs are missing from the center rows and one from the lateral row.
Old 02-02-12, 10:58 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i've got a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winters 700x35, purchased in fall 2001 from biketiresdirect.com

i put them on january 1, 2012. since then i've got about 500 miles on the tires. i inspected the tires this morning. i stud missing up front, 1 stud missing on the back.

now that i know that nokian studs can be used as replacements, i'm much less concerned about losing studs.
Old 02-10-12, 09:06 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can confirm other posters suspicions - have lost 7 studs in clusters from a new front tire with under 300km. Source was chain reaction cycles in the UK, time frame is fall 2011, the tire's size is 700x35. Tire was properly run in. This is the 4th studded tire i've bought from schwalbe, the others are intact so something has happened to the reliability of their work.
Old 02-11-12, 10:03 AM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
I can confirm other posters suspicions - have lost 7 studs in clusters from a new front tire with under 300km. Source was chain reaction cycles in the UK, time frame is fall 2011, the tire's size is 700x35. Tire was properly run in. This is the 4th studded tire i've bought from schwalbe, the others are intact so something has happened to the reliability of their work.
I have a pair of US sourced 700X35 marathon winters, and the front tire is missing at least ten studs. Haven't looked at the rear too hard, because it's more work. Wonder if it's just this model and size that's having problems?
Old 03-09-12, 11:23 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
I have a pair of US sourced 700X35 marathon winters, and the front tire is missing at least ten studs. Haven't looked at the rear too hard, because it's more work. Wonder if it's just this model and size that's having problems?
Dismounted the tires today. Total carnage: 10 missing in the front, five in the rear. That's for maybe 300 miles of use over the winter, mostly on dry pavement (seventh warmest winter on record here, and much less snowy than normal).
Old 03-11-12, 01:47 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't know... but I have a suspicion these new studs don't hold up to braking very well.... do you have disc brakes?
Old 03-11-12, 02:54 PM
gbg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dismounted the tires today. Total carnage: 10 missing in the front, five in the rear. That's for maybe 300 miles of use over the winter, mostly on dry pavement (seventh warmest winter on record here, and much less snowy than normal).
I bought some barely used Nokian WXC 300's (super aggressive 300 studs/tire), you could still see the little rubber nibs on the center tread so I believed the guy when he said they had less than
a 100 miles on them, but he did say they lost a few studs. But I got both for $85 shipped so that's way better than the $190 + taxes each I'd have to pay up here.
When I got them they were missing 1 in the front AND 20 in the rear. I was a little worried and asked if he had run them in on dry pavement and he said he didn't know he had to do that.

Any way I got 25 replacement studs and the tool from bikeman an replaced the missing studs. I ran them in for 20-30 miles on dry pavement and after 5-600 miles I haven't lost any.
I do try to avoid pavement now and try to run only on ice and snow, more for preserving the knobs than loosing studs.
I do still hit a few miles of pavement every ride but I just slow it down over that. I don't think pavement should be bad, it's more slippery roots where the wood can grab a stud and rip it out.

For more pavement riding I have the Nokian Mount and Ground tires and have only lost 1 rear stud in 1000+ miles.

I seem to have read that Innova's and Marathon's lose a lot of studs. The WXC's once had a reputation for it as well but they say it was fixed
and I seem to be doing fine.

I would probably call Schwalbe, I thought I read somewhere where some one did and they sent him some free studs.
Old 03-13-12, 10:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
They already sent him some, as said on #25..
Schwalbe UK have sent about 50 replacement studs.
FWIW,
still have the 160 studs my Nokian Mount and ground Winter pair came with,
20 years ago.

only icy a week or 2 a year, the bike stays as is when it thaws .
it just gets parked.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-13-12 at 10:14 PM.