Where are the MD peoples

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 07:46 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Whoa jack, what a commute today. Roads were lumpy sheets of frozen crap. Bike locker froze as did my A$$. My exposed skin(which wasn't much) took a beating as well. Got my locker open after repeated kicks. 2nd time it has frozen this year. But I gotta say the studs performed like a stud! All in all it was a hoot Things probably are not going to change on the return.
Old 01-03-14, 08:01 AM
CycleRail

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Sports, 2010 Surly Cross-Check, 2012 Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Working from home today. I rode home last night in the middle of it, though. The snow smacking my face as I rode north. I had enough. Studs did their job. Weather for Sunday's Ramble doesn't look good. The forecast is for icy rain in the morning. I hope that changes.
Old 01-03-14, 12:34 PM
greaterbrown

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought better of rolling home at 6PM last night on the bike, so I went multi-modal: feet-bus-metro-bus-feet. Safer, but it took about an hour and a half from Owings Mills.
Did the reverse this morning.

Re: Ramble, they keep revising down the temps for Sunday each time I look. Possibility of snow/rain by the afternoon.
As usual we'll have to play it by ear in the morning. We can shortcut west over to jarrettsville for a ~70 miler if nec.
-B
Old 01-03-14, 06:13 PM
balto charlie

Ramble: I doubt I am riding. I am thinking about brewing I just saw the weather, freezing rain starting Sat night. changing to rain in PM Sunday.
Old 01-05-14, 11:56 AM
CycleRail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't Get Past Parkville

Today was my second attempt to ride Bob's Pylesville Winter Warmer. I first tried this ride two years ago, but I had drop out in Parkville after only 7 miles. I had become ill fairly quickly and had to reverse the route and head for home. I remember feeling really bummed.

So, I was excited when Bob scheduled the Pylesville ride for January 5. The forecast kept changing. A week out, it called for sunny skies. But as Sunday drew near, it became clear that we would be riding in the rain for at least part of the day. On Sunday morning, it was 28 degrees with a 30% chance of rain in the forecast. The Weather Channel put a warning for freezing rain for areas south of Baltimore. But, because the route would take us north, I figured that it wouldn't be too bad. Besides, it was supposed to reach 40 degrees by the afternoon. Also, I would be running studded tires with fenders, so I felt pretty confident.

I arrived at Lake Montebello at 7:20. I was alone. So, I decided to ride around the lake and wait to see if any one showed up. Bob arrived as I finished my loop. The Kogs was sporting studs and a new rear fender. Next, Daniel showed up. It was birthday, and this ride was his present. All looked good, so we decided to give the ride a try.

As soon as we started, I felt a few rain drops, but dismissed them. I was going to ride this ride, darn it. As we headed up Harford Road, the rain increased in intensity. I hoped that it would taper off, but I my jacket was pretty well soaked by the time we reached the Perring Plaza Shopping Center. I wasn't that concerned, the streets appeared to be ice free. That was probably because the streets in the city were treated. Once we hit Satyr Hill Road north of the Beltway, things started to get slippery. We didn't even make it down to Cromwell Bridge Road. Satyr Hill was a sheet of ice. I stopped. When I brought my arms back off the handlebars, my red jacket turned white as the newly accumulated ice peeled off the front of it. Ice covered the Cross-Check's frame. My front bag was also covered in ice. I was amazed how quickly the conditions deteriorated, and they would only worsen as we headed on the less traveled roads that lay ahead.

It was over. Daniel called the SAG wagon. He was kind enough to arrange a ride back to the start for all three of us. When we got back to Perring Parkway, Bob and I figured that the city streets would be in better condition and decided that we would try to ride back to the start. The ride back was uneventful and I was happy to be back home. My hands and feet were soaked. 22.25 miles for the day.

Maybe the third time will be a charm.

Last edited by CycleRail; 01-06-14 at 06:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-14, 11:59 AM
CycleRail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ice Check by CycleRail, on Flickr
Old 01-06-14, 11:58 AM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by CycleRail

Ice Check by CycleRail, on Flickr
Awesome picture, 'nuf said. Kudos to you , Bob and Daniel for giving it a go. I was thinking about you guys @ 7:30, sipping a black coffee in my comfort chair with a thick blanket. Gotta say I wasn't bummed to miss it. I did brew an Arrogant Bastard clone, perhaps for the next Ramble party.
Old 01-06-14, 09:33 PM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was worth a try. And luckily, it was not a catastrophic attempt. CycleRail left a BIG detail out of his story, in order that I might tell it myself:

I think all 3 of us were a bit apprehensive about the day as we rode the first five miles. However, as we crossed Joppa rd without any slipping, I began to feel more relaxed. A mile later, I was on Satyr Hill rd, a long downhill, easy and straight at first and becoming more steep and curvy as one gets down into the wooded sections. I love this decent, an exciting entry into the world beyond the city- the ultimate getaway hill. I glanced back to see Dan and PJ far behind me and suddenly I realized I was taking the hill at summertime speed. I felt a momentary shudder as I reached the small bridge. I pinched the brake caliper a bit and noticed a shine on the road all around me. A moment later the woods and the road spun 90 degrees. A sharp jolt and and I felt ice water flood into my face. I was down and skittering across the road. I remember seeing the trees shaking as my helmet slid on the rough icy pavement. Lastly, I came to rest in a snow bank on the side of the road.

I Jumped up and immediately shouted to PJ and Dan to slow way down, but there was no need to- they already had. PJ was rolling at jogging pace and Dan was walking in the better traction of the snow along the road. I laid on my back in the snow and waited to feel the worst from what had just happened. PJ came down and scanned me and the bike. He didn't make any horrible wincing faces. I closed my eyes and concentrated on noticing real pain through the fog of shock. There didn't seem to be much. A sore hip and shoulder. I'd gone done down too fast to put a hand out. I was a very lucky boy.

Dan tiny-stepped his way down to us. I got up and began adjusting my fenders out of the way of the tires. It was hard to stand on the icy road. A couple drivers barely controlled their cars as they came past. Dan admitted that he was done for the day. I seconded that notion. PJ looked disappointed and agreed. It was then that I noticed the front axle had lifted out of the fork drop outs. This is a solid nutted axle. Did the nuts come loose partly causing the crash? (possible, since the original non locking-washer nuts were on the axle). Did I forget to tighten the nuts? (unlikely, since I'd put a lot of miles on the bike since the last front wheel removal). Or, did the wheel get jerked off during the crash. (seems unlikely, considering the physics involved). I don't know, but I'd bet on the nuts slowly loosening. Still a worrisome mystery.

Dan called his wife to bring the sag wagon and PJ and I rode back to town. At the last minute, I decided to stop at my local coffee shop for a coffee and bagel to take home. After coming back out, I thought I'd just walk the rest of the way home since my shoulder was still aching. The sidewalk was so slippery with wet ice, I thought I'd fall. So, I got back on the bike and rode the last couple blocks home. It seemed safer.
Old 01-07-14, 06:06 AM
CycleRail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great write up, GB! That was an anxious moment. I was relieved to see you walking around and coherent. Got stuck on a train last night when the wires went down south of Wilmington. It took me nearly 7 hours o get home. I got back to Penn Station around 12:30 am. It was about 6 degrees and the wind chill was 14 below. I wasn't dressed for it and the ride back home from the station was brutal. I was only outside 15-20 minutes but that was enough for my pinkies to get a little frostbite. 2 degrees this morning, so I drove to the train station.
Old 01-07-14, 06:39 AM
balto charlie

Short but EPIC report. Dag, down but not out which is very good to hear. Sounds very scary. Usually studs hold the ice. Satyr Hill, you usually have us riding up that beast. Disc brakes?? I always fear my brakes with ice. I don't have disc. Hope all heal up, sounds like you need a homebrew.
I remember the year Peter got sick and had to bail on this ride. It was a long and cold ride, SuperBowl Sunday a few years back?? It was also the last time I rode with Harry, remember Harry.
And Peter, 7 hours!!!! It was a very cold ride home last night tho' my temps were a bit warmer than yours. I don't know if warmer is the correct adjective. 2F this AM!!!!!
I drove, not due to weather but I have errands this afternoon. I am meeting with a financial guy. I just ANNOUNCED I am retiring April 1st(Aprils Fools Day...such irony More on that later.

Last edited by balto charlie; 01-07-14 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-07-14, 08:23 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I played the tough guy this morning and rode the bike. Physically, it seemed okay. Worst problem was my eyelashes freezing together from moist breath!
The bike was pretty wonky tho'. Shifting was almost non-existent. My front brake braked the first time I pulled it and then seemed to never fully release.
Gave me a good warming work-out for sure.

Thankfully, my hip is only purple and my shoulder, while sore, is usable. No wet ice out there this morning.
Old 01-08-14, 08:07 AM
CycleRail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode to the station this morning. I wore wool gloves inside of my leather gloves and my hands were still cold within 15 minutes. My fingers really took a beating early Tuesday morning. Anyway, no issues with the XCheck other than some gunk stuck to the front rim. Not sure about Montebello sprints tonight.
Old 01-08-14, 03:04 PM
balto charlie

I rode today. It was cold but I was ready(7-8F). I wore so much wool I think I saw a ram chasing after me For my gloves I wore mountaineering Gore-tex outer mitts over Dachstein wool mittens, awesome combo. I also wore my Austrian military wool sweater, heavy as ***** but toasty. I also wore my wind-block panties. I am going to be over dressed for the return. It's a balmy 27F.

My MARC train broke down on the AM commute. Had to wait for another to transfer over to the next train. I was over an hour late to work.
Old 01-10-14, 07:37 AM
CycleRail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I know all about disabled trains. Icy commute this morning, but traffic seemed a bit lighter.
Old 01-11-14, 10:42 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all. Just stopping in to catch up a little.

Bob, glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were from that ice capade. :O

L8tr,

Isaias

Old 01-18-14, 04:25 PM
balto charlie

Hey Iaias. long time since you been here.

Week commuting was rather tame compared to last week. Next week is looking cold boys.
Old 01-18-14, 04:27 PM
balto charlie

sorry double post
Old 01-18-14, 06:33 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
Hey Iaias. long time since you been here.

Week commuting was rather tame compared to last week. Next week is looking cold boys.

But, not in the teens again, though.
Old 01-18-14, 10:08 PM
squidroadie

Bikes: CAAD 9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to MD and I'm looking to see what kind of organized rides are going on in the Odenton/Ft. Meade/ Crofton area. I haven't rode in about 2 years, but I plan on getting back into it heavily this year. After 7 years of sea duty I can't wait to get back in to biking again.
Old 01-19-14, 09:27 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squidroadie
Hey everyone, I'm new to MD and I'm looking to see what kind of organized rides are going on in the Odenton/Ft. Meade/ Crofton area. I haven't rode in about 2 years, but I plan on getting back into it heavily this year. After 7 years of sea duty I can't wait to get back in to biking again.
Bike Doctor, Crofton and Arnold has rides. Aviation Velo, previously known as Bike Doctor Linthicum, has rides. The Severna Park Peloton at www.severnaparkpeloton.org has rides all week and weekends. There's also the Annapolis Bike Racing Team (ABRT) may have rides you can join. The Baltimore Bicycling Club, periodically, has rides in this area, as well.
Old 01-19-14, 09:46 AM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! I live not too far from Odenton, there is some nice riding to be found in the area. My rides tend to be more along "disorganized" lines (ha!) but as NoRacer notes, along with the local bike shops that run rides, there are two major area clubs ( https://www.annapolisbicycleclub.org/ -- Annapolis Bike Club; https://www.baltobikeclub.org/ -- Baltimore Bicycling Club) some of whose rides venture into this area.
Old 01-19-14, 12:06 PM
squidroadie

Bikes: CAAD 9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks NoRacer and Maxine! Hopefully my new chain and tires get here this week. I plan to be out on the road by next weekend, weather permitting!
Old 01-20-14, 07:56 PM
balto charlie

Originally Posted by NoRacer
But, not in the teens again, though.
Look again my friend. I'm seeing snow Tuesday and single digits on Weds. I think the high for this week will be 20F. Get ready to rock and roll, mount those studs!!
Old 01-20-14, 08:00 PM
balto charlie

Looks like NR and Max answered your needs. If you want some climbing head north towards Catonsville/Patapsco park area. Lots of steep stuff in this area.
Sea legs Should be an interesting change of pace. Were you in the Navy or Coast Guard? My buddy's daughter just left for the Coast Guard on Thursday. She wants to be station in Alaska. She's pretty hardcore.
Old 01-21-14, 10:47 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
Look again my friend. I'm seeing snow Tuesday and single digits on Weds. I think the high for this week will be 20F. Get ready to rock and roll, mount those studs!!

Yes, I see that, Charlie. Rode the studs. No reason to go home tonight. Might just camp out at APG.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.