Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear Rack Recommendations

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 02:24 PM
yokotaGP

Bikes: All City Macho Man Disc, Nishiki Shogun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a rear rack for my All City Macho Man Disc. After my el cheapo aluminum Axiom Journey broke in four welds and sheared one spar, I must have something in titanium or some variety of steel. It must clear my 700c wheel and fender. I'd prefer something that attaches to the brake bridge, but I'd consider p-clamps. I've tried a Velo Orange Constructeur, but it doesn't clear the fender and it carries my panniers forward far enough for my heels to strike. Tubus' Fly, Airy, and Carry all look great, but I can't actually find them available for purchase.
Old 09-17-16, 03:14 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have two Topeak racks, an Explorer and a Super Tourist. They are aluminum but they're built very heavy, oversized tubes and heavy welds. Mainly I love the quicktrack system. I have been using a Trunkbag DX for about 3 years, and I just bought the DXP for an extended commute and light shopping.

It's very nice putting the bag on and off in about 3 seconds flat and never worrying about it falling off.

No problems fitting over fenders, and they have separate models for disc brakes.
Old 09-17-16, 03:29 PM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^
This.
Old 09-17-16, 03:48 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Saw an Axiom Streamliner Disc Rack today at my LBS. On sale for $42.

6061 Al but meets other requirements. Setback, sleek, and very strong. Black or Silver.
Streamliner Disc DLX - Streamliner - Racks - Products - Axiom Cycling Gear
STREAMLINER DISC DLX
MSRP: CAD $54.99
PRODUCT INFO
Weight: 710g / 1.56lbs
Capacity: 50kg / 110lbs
Part Number: 171271 - Black
Part Number: 171271-01 - Silver
Old 09-17-16, 09:15 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by yokotaGP
Tubus' Fly, Airy, and Carry all look great, but I can't actually find them available for purchase.
You can order stuff or visit in person if you live in Minnesota:
Rear Racks - Perennial Cycle

Online, The Touring Store:
TheTouringStore.com | Tubus Bicycle Racks Home

Also they sell them on amazon, but one of the above two sources might be able to give you better info if you call about exactly what extra Tubus adapters you might need as it sounds like your bike unfortunately is missing rack mounts?

Last edited by PaulRivers; 09-17-16 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-17-16, 10:34 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
The o.p. really does not want a steel rack, I don't think anyone makes one anyway. Ditto titanium. I think a Planetbike Eco Rack is enough rack (55lb capacity) for anyone, myself. But there is a Bontrager on the back of our new Trek tandem. Very nice. Twice the price of the Planet Bike, but that thing will carry a human passenger.
Old 09-17-16, 11:14 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The o.p. really does not want a steel rack, I don't think anyone makes one anyway. Ditto titanium. I think a Planetbike Eco Rack is enough rack (55lb capacity) for anyone, myself. But there is a Bontrager on the back of our new Trek tandem. Very nice. Twice the price of the Planet Bike, but that thing will carry a human passenger.
I think you may have misread OP's post...

...After my el cheapo aluminum Axiom Journey broke in four welds and sheared one spar, I must have something in titanium or some variety of steel...
Old 09-17-16, 11:35 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I think you may have misread OP's post...
I read his post just fine. And my earlier comments still apply.
Old 09-17-16, 11:54 PM
PaulRivers

I'm looking for a rear rack for my All City Macho Man Disc. After my el cheapo aluminum Axiom Journey broke in four welds and sheared one spar, I must have something in titanium or some variety of steel. It must clear my 700c wheel and fender. I'd prefer something that attaches to the brake bridge, but I'd consider p-clamps.
I looked up your bike, it looks like it has a rack mount attachment on the bottom but not on the top, does that sound right?
Macho Man Disc | All-City Cycles

I recently put a rack on a bike with a similar bike (a full carbon specialized sirrus), and solved it far better than using the brake bridge or p-clamps - they make seatpost collars with a mount point on the seatpost collar.

For seatpost it says "FSA SL280, 27.2mm", but that's the size of the seatpost not the collar. The full carbon Specialized Carbon bike I put the seatpost on is here:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...-carbon/118220

It also lists the seatpost as "27.2mm", but it also lists the seatpost collar as "rack mount seat collar 31.6mm".

So I believe that this Axiom Trekk Seatpost Collar 31.8mm with rack mounts is the size and kind that would work (and is the one I used that the bike shop sold me):
https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Trekk-C...3I6/ref=sr_1_1

Yeah it's 31.8mm rather than 31.6, but for a seatpost collar it didn't seem to matter. I also just used a regular Topeak rack like some of the people said above and it worked well. My concern was actually mainly in the rack not being to high and looking silly, though the Sirrus I put it on only has 30mm tires (there was still plenty of clearance for taller tires though).

If you know for sure that you're going to have issues with heelstrike, the racks I know of that sit back further are:
1. Axiom Streamliner Disc (110lb load capacity) (Disc version has a wider top so I prefer it as I use a trunk bag)
2. Axiom Journey Uni-Fit Mk3 Alu (110lb load capacity)
3. Bontrager Backrack Lightweight - a super lightweight rack, probably not what you're looking for but thought I would mention it just in case
4. Old Man Mountain makes some
5. Tubus makes adapters for all their racks that would let you move the rack back the same amount
Old 09-17-16, 11:56 PM
PaulRivers

I read his post just fine. And my earlier comments still apply.
OP says he wants a titanium or steel rack, you say he's saying he doesn't either of those. Not sure where you're coming from with that, but good luck either way.
Old 09-18-16, 12:10 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I saw that rack, but all I've got is a vintage nine hole rack needing arms probably, for your length, one has a broken off end any way but it's pretty dang cool for all that
Old 09-18-16, 12:14 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I realize I'm probably not all that serious but it is serviceable with some upper surface pitting, decent chrome and superficial rust and the sale never did complete for $10 and shipping, the guy disappeared...

I'll sell it locally, no doubt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nine hole rack.JPG (36.7 KB, 281 views)
Old 09-24-16, 03:17 PM
yokotaGP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can order stuff or visit in person if you live in Minnesota:
Rear Racks - Perennial Cycle

Also they sell them on amazon, but one of the above two sources might be able to give you better info if you call about exactly what extra Tubus adapters you might need as it sounds like your bike unfortunately is missing rack mounts?
My Macho Man Disc has braze-ons at the rear drop-outs. I've seen photos of the Tubus Fly attached forward to the brake bridge, and the Tubus Airy will also do so. I couldn't find the Tubus Airy on Amazon, but Perennial has it. The Airy looks perfect, and I liked Perennial's site for its informativeness and easy of use. So I ordered the Tubus Airy and a pair of Ortlieb back-roller high-vis panniers from Perennial. Hopefully next week I'll get to try that system out.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregor...s-7363510@N06/
Old 09-24-16, 08:34 PM
PaulRivers

My Macho Man Disc has braze-ons at the rear drop-outs. I've seen photos of the Tubus Fly attached forward to the brake bridge, and the Tubus Airy will also do so. I couldn't find the Tubus Airy on Amazon, but Perennial has it. The Airy looks perfect, and I liked Perennial's site for its informativeness and easy of use. So I ordered the Tubus Airy and a pair of Ortlieb back-roller high-vis panniers from Perennial. Hopefully next week I'll get to try that system out.

Cool, let us know how it works out for you! Brake bridge works fine, though like I said I was surprised at how well the seatpost collar mount worked. Maybe I'm going on a bit about it lol, I had just thought that it would be difficult and look awkward, but it was easy and looks good, and the bike I put it on has the rear rack mount points just like yours appears to in your pics.

Anyways, one other thing I would mention is that the one drawback of the Airy is that it's skinny on top so it's difficult to put a bag on top of it. It's designed as a rack just for panniers. Since you have those it's probably not an issue, just thought I'd mention it.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-24-16, 09:20 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts

Congrats!

Often when something like that, especially something that is German like a Tubus rack or Schmidt hub, is hard to find I will check out starbike.com they have been great for me and their prices can be surprisingly low after you subtract out the VAT
Old 09-25-16, 07:43 AM
smckown

Bikes: 2000 Merlin XLM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the seat post collar with mounts. I have used it and believe it's a sturdier mounting option.

+1 for the Topeak racks. I have a Super Tourist. The rails on which panniers hang are not the top rails, which means it's easier to run both panniers and something else on the top of the rack.
Old 09-25-16, 08:03 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Great choice by the OP (albeit ultra-premium). I use the Tubus Fly on my commuter bike with Ortleib "Office" panniers. Ortleib owns Tubus, so the Airy with the Ortleib back-roller pannier is a match made in heaven. The top of the Airy does not taper like the fly, so it has has more top-mounting options. I keep a bungie cord clove-hitched to the top bar of the fly, which is handy for lashing a lock or other things when making short trips without the pannier.

The titanium should be bomber. I have experienced some crashes with my pannier/rack and although the tubes have deformed a little as a consequence, the welds have held up superbly.

Anyways, one other thing I would mention is that the one drawback of the Airy is that it's skinny on top so it's difficult to put a bag on top of it. It's designed as a rack just for panniers. Since you have those it's probably not an issue, just thought I'd mention it.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-26-16, 12:02 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for a rear rack for my All City Macho Man Disc. After my el cheapo aluminum Axiom Journey broke in four welds and sheared one spar, I must have something in titanium or some variety of steel. It must clear my 700c wheel and fender. I'd prefer something that attaches to the brake bridge, but I'd consider p-clamps. I've tried a Velo Orange Constructeur, but it doesn't clear the fender and it carries my panniers forward far enough for my heels to strike. Tubus' Fly, Airy, and Carry all look great, but I can't actually find them available for purchase.
Universalcycles.com and bikebagshop.com both have all the Tubus racks including those.

I recommend the Fly over the Airy for commuting purposes because the Fly has a built in attachment point for a rack light and the Airy does not.

The back cromo version of the Fly is actually lighter than the stainless version.

As another alternative there is another Tubus rack called the Vega that is actually wide enough on top to mount a trunk bag, which I prefer for commuting over panniers because they don't get sprayed with mud and such quite as much as panniers do.

https://www.bikebagshop.com/tubus-ve...ck-p-2677.html

The Axiom Streamliner disc is for some reason significantly heavier than the Streamliner non-disc, same with the Ortlieb rear rack:

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Bike%20rack%20Rack2/

The Planet Bike Eco Rack is cheap for a reason, but if you are not going to carry 30+ lbs on it routinely it should be fine.

Racktime is owned by Tubus/Ortlieb and are heavy gauge aluminum but also heavy in comparison to the smaller steel Tubus racks like the Fly, Airy and Vega.
Old 09-26-16, 05:31 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Tubus' Fly, Airy, and Carry all look great, but I can't actually find them available for purchase.
You aren't looking hard enough Lickton Cycles carries the Fly for about $130. Rose Bikes carries the Airy for €138 ($155 US) plus shipping as well as the Fly for €50 ($56). Rose Bikes also has the Logo Titan for €170 ($191) JeJames Cycles has the Carry for $165.

Word of caution about the Airy, the fly and possibly the Carry. They are very narrow racks. The Airy has a deck that is only about 3" wide. I think the Carry is similar in design. Carrying anything on top of the rack is tricky. The Fly is a bit wider but not very wide.

The Airy does have a way of attaching a light. The mount isn't built in but it does work.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-01-16, 07:15 PM
yokotaGP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I installed a Tubus Airy from Perennial Cycle. With a couple of minor issues, it works great with the Ortlieb Back-Rollers I ordered along with it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/736351...h/30053602535/
Issues still in progress: Fender vibrates against the cylindrical strut bracket because of insufficient clearance and at the front of the rack and against the rear light because the light mount bracket rotates downward toward the fender.
Old 10-01-16, 07:29 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind its weight + the bag weight!! I didnt factor that in! Together it was 10lbs additional!
Old 10-02-16, 03:28 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The o.p. really does not want a steel rack, I don't think anyone makes one anyway.
My bicycle has Surly Nice Racks on it and they are steel.
Old 10-02-16, 10:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
wrap rubber around where it vibrates and zip tie or bolt and rubber washer, it to that spot, to stay tight.

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-02-16 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-09-16, 12:59 PM
yokotaGP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One week and two commutes on, I made a few adjustments, and things are working fabulously:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/736351...57673458375420