Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Clif Bars not doing it for me anymore

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Clif Bars not doing it for me anymore

Old 01-10-21, 09:04 PM
debenhoh

Bikes: 2021 Giant Contend AR1; Giant Escape Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't do the goos and gels, but I'm a big fan of Tailwind (non-caffeinated for me, but they make both) mixed in my water bottles. A couple scoops is 200 calories - all carbs/sugars and some salts. If I'm over 50+ miles, I can do a Clif Bar (or similar) towards the end, as someone else mentioned. I have also found that if I eat real food, it needs to be in small portions (also as mentioned above) - raisins are my go-to there.
Old 01-12-21, 11:57 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by debenhoh
I can't do the goos and gels, but I'm a big fan of Tailwind (non-caffeinated for me, but they make both) mixed in my water bottles. A couple scoops is 200 calories - all carbs/sugars and some salts. If I'm over 50+ miles, I can do a Clif Bar (or similar) towards the end, as someone else mentioned. I have also found that if I eat real food, it needs to be in small portions (also as mentioned above) - raisins are my go-to there.
I used Cytomax in my bottles for several years. It really rotted my teeth - I paid for a good portion of my dentist's new Mercedes. I switched to Hammer's HEED, which contains maltodextrin and xylitol. Xylitol is a tooth decay preventative to some extent, in any case no more tooth decay. I like their lemon-lime. However HEED and Tailwind are both very expensive - about ~$12/lb., which is nuts. I buy maltodextrin from a homebrew supply house in 50# bags for less than $2/lb. I use the maltodextrin in the malto/whey protein mix I use on long rides.

Now I'm thinking about making my own version of HEED. I have no idea of what the appropriate malto/xylitol ratio would be. I only know there's less xylitol than malto in HEED. Anyone?
Old 01-13-21, 09:02 PM
debenhoh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I used Cytomax in my bottles for several years. It really rotted my teeth - I paid for a good portion of my dentist's new Mercedes. I switched to Hammer's HEED, which contains maltodextrin and xylitol. Xylitol is a tooth decay preventative to some extent, in any case no more tooth decay. I like their lemon-lime. However HEED and Tailwind are both very expensive - about ~$12/lb., which is nuts. I buy maltodextrin from a homebrew supply house in 50# bags for less than $2/lb. I use the maltodextrin in the malto/whey protein mix I use on long rides.

Now I'm thinking about making my own version of HEED. I have no idea of what the appropriate malto/xylitol ratio would be. I only know there's less xylitol than malto in HEED. Anyone?
Thanks for the tip on the tooth-decay issues. I've not heard of that before.
Would you mind sharing your malto/whey protein mix recipe or ratios?
I'm new to the idea of mixing my own, so this may be a simple question: If you made your own HEED, what would you use for flavoring?
Thanks.
Old 01-13-21, 10:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by debenhoh
Thanks for the tip on the tooth-decay issues. I've not heard of that before.
Would you mind sharing your malto/whey protein mix recipe or ratios?
I'm new to the idea of mixing my own, so this may be a simple question: If you made your own HEED, what would you use for flavoring?
Thanks.
7/1 maltodextrin/whey protein by weight. I use chocolate flavored whey protein. The result has a very mild flavor and is not sweet. I mix up a big batch in an empty 5 lb. whey container.

Flavoring: good question. I used to use malto, no whey, and flavored it with Hammer Nutrition gel, bulk in the pint bottle. It's a strong flavor though. People behind me could tell what flavor I was using. I suppose I could have used less. There's probably a flavored electrolyte product out there, no nutrition, just electrolytes. One wants a mild flavor.

I googled "flavored electrolyte powder". So many choices and many of them crazy expensive. I've been using XTEND, a BCAA powder with flavor and electrolytes, mango flavor. It doesn't take much - a scoop makes a gallon at the strength I use just for random drinking at home.

I know a triathlete who spends over $1000/year on Hammer nutrition. IT person, she also has 3 coaches.
Old 01-15-21, 09:02 AM
debenhoh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. I've never even considered making my own stuff, but this is helpful.
As for $1000/year on nutrition and three coaches, well.... I guess if you've got to spend it somewhere, that's better than some alternatives, but I'll keep paying for the heat in my house and a good bike once in a while.