Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Too old to BMX

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Too old to BMX

Old 04-24-20, 09:42 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Yeah I gotta get quite a bit better before I can do any of that he's doing. My hops are 12" at best right now. I love when people hop over cones. It's so cool.

Lately I've been working riding fakie. Mostly from footjams but yesterday I went to the gas station down the road that had some good curbs. I also am so close to landing a footjam tailwhip. Just haven't landed it yet. Getting over the bike a lot more though.
Old 04-26-20, 09:52 AM
hannahme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
How old is too old to ride BMX/Race BMX ?

I hear that someone in their 80’s has raced recently. That’s a strong person. Awesome.
You are never too old if you can walk!
Likes For hannahme:
Old 04-26-20, 10:23 AM
bigalo

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
A person is never too old,...it's all about being active & enjoying the ride!
Couldn't agree more...given your okay with getting injured
Likes For bigalo:
Old 04-26-20, 12:13 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by bigalo
Couldn't agree more...given your okay with getting injured
Kind of an ignorant thing to say actually. We have senior citizens in the forums, and riding according to you abilities, as long as you can ride, is a healthy thing to do. Unless you're one of those small minded individuals who sees an older adult riding a bike, ANY type of bike, and feels that a person is too old to ride. Even on a BMX bike, not all people ride them with the intention of doing tricks. Don't make a blanket statement,...it sounds ridiculous.

PS: Please don't include me in your quotes to get forum posts,...it wastes my time.
Old 04-29-20, 07:06 PM
PeugeotBro

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
never
Likes For PeugeotBro:
Old 05-26-20, 12:40 AM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
Yeah I gotta get quite a bit better before I can do any of that he's doing. My hops are 12" at best right now. I love when people hop over cones. It's so cool.

dautubevideo

Lately I've been working riding fakie. Mostly from footjams but yesterday I went to the gas station down the road that had some good curbs. I also am so close to landing a footjam tailwhip. Just haven't landed it yet. Getting over the bike a lot more though.
Hey man, how's it going over there? What have you been up to? I'm back on the bike after they relaxed the movement control a bit, sadly on that note tho, new cases are back in the increasing figure. Anyway, you dialed that whip already? What do you think about these, the prospect of learning these moves really got me stoked! I was nvr into rails and all, but yeahh...

Likes For acir71:
Old 05-27-20, 11:13 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Hey Man!!! Thanks for asking. It's been kind of weird weird week 10 days etc for me and doing tricks.

One thing I was working on lately was I was practicing riding in an x up. And I was getting longer with it and I really like that one. Then one night I took a roll off the bike when doing that. And did something to a rib. The next night it hurt like heck to use my core muscles, which you do for pretty much all tricks and I had to stop for a few days. Then about 5 days after that incident I had a bunch of blood in my urine. This is not abnormal cuz I deal with kidney stones. I just assumed it was stones but then my doc wanted me to go in and have it checked out in case I did something when I took the fall. So Friday I took myself into the Emergency Room and had a CAT Scan and everything came back fine. I have 1 really big stone in my right kidney that's been there for a long time. And it hadn't moved since they last time they took a scan 6 years ago. I think I may have passed a small one. Cuz I was pretty sure I had ones in my left kidney but they didn't show up on this scan.

Anyways..... It bled pretty good for a couple of days and then started to taper off. This happens almost every spring but typically it doesn't bleed quite as bad as it did this year. So that's what prompted me to look into it. I should've just left it all alone cuz I feel like I'm fine now but I guess there is some peace of mind knowing I didn't mess something up from the fall. I'm not looking forward to seeing the bill from the visit though. We have insurance but.... There's always some kind of money involved.

So... I've been missing tricks. I didn't ride at all for 2 days but the last 3 nights I took my normal ride for exercise and felt real strong last night. The first night back I went kind of slow and cut it a little short.

As far as rails go, I'm kind of going the opposite direction. I have been working more on fork glides and stuff on flat ground and I am really digging flatland. I never had a huge desire to do a lot of the street stuff young men are doing. Cuz it just seems like I'm too old for all that and there is a lot of risk. Yeah, grinding rails looks fun and cool and I remember back when I was young and I skateboarded the feeling of doing a rail slide was really cool. But for me it's all about the flat ground stuff. I started to learn how to pivot on my front tire almost 180 which is fun Working on riding in a fork glide and rotating into it. In fact the last session I had I kept going back and forth over a big parking lot trying to stay up as long as I can in the peg backwards and I was definitely making progress. I'm not sure how far I would go but it was starting to feel like 30 feet at times possibly. LOL. Maybe.

Anyways... I follow several pros on Instagram and although I don't mind seeing posts by bowl riders and street riders I'm only really super interested in the flatlanders. LOL.

I started a thread on vitalbmx about flatlanding tricks and there are two guys besides me starting to get real into it. One guy is getting quite good quickly. Looking smooooth. And the other is making progress too. It is definitely not EASY to make progress but it's a lot of fun.

Yeah, that's my pee. LOL. Everyone is like WHY IS IT SO DARK**********?? LOL. Lots of blood. I brought that to the ER to show them I was serious. LOL. Sometimes they're always skeptical you have a problem. Of course I pee'd for them there too and it was about the same.

Thankfully no blood the last couple of days and I think I'm over it now. And no other signs of injuries from falling. Which I didn't really think there was. I have fallen quite a bit since starting tricks so I had a feeling they were not related.

So now that I went on about myself for so long!!! How you doing? You gonna buy a rail? You could always make one too!!! You're gonna turn into a full street artist? LOL. Maybe you can still be into flatland stuff with me. We should post vids together. I'm sure I could learn a bunch from you.
Old 05-30-20, 10:49 PM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Sorry to hear that, hope you are on the right track to recovery. My wife's dad used to have that, he took lemongrass tea daily to help get rid of that thing, took a while tho. Not sure whether theres scientific proof on that, actually he consumes all sorts of herbal things thats been recommended to him.

Good that youre reaching out to the elder riders, I wish I had the same moral support then. Hey I just built a proper flatland bike, mix n match of some old and new parts. I juggle between flat n street, just to keep it interesting. Really into Karl Poynter n DeGroot's riding now. Yeah rail riding is a bit too risky as far as injuries are concerned, my case they are mean to the wrist. Haha noo, I dont think theres much I can show you, theres dozens of good tutors on youtube! Honestly I'd nvr tried to upload any vid anywhere, am no good with all these media stuff!
Hey check this out, salute the elders! Watch the diet, bless you!

https://vimeo.com/422901914
Old 09-08-20, 09:21 AM
HowardWow1997

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
80 ?? I do not believe
Old 09-09-20, 08:30 AM
3S1M

Originally Posted by acir71
Sorry to hear that, hope you are on the right track to recovery. My wife's dad used to have that, he took lemongrass tea daily to help get rid of that thing, took a while tho. Not sure whether theres scientific proof on that, actually he consumes all sorts of herbal things thats been recommended to him.

Good that youre reaching out to the elder riders, I wish I had the same moral support then. Hey I just built a proper flatland bike, mix n match of some old and new parts. I juggle between flat n street, just to keep it interesting. Really into Karl Poynter n DeGroot's riding now. Yeah rail riding is a bit too risky as far as injuries are concerned, my case they are mean to the wrist. Haha noo, I dont think theres much I can show you, theres dozens of good tutors on youtube! Honestly I'd nvr tried to upload any vid anywhere, am no good with all these media stuff!
Hey check this out, salute the elders! Watch the diet, bless you!

https://vimeo.com/422901914
I don't know how I missed this!!! Yeah things been going well. I got back on the bmx sometime in June. The ribs healed up and I got the stone out. They broke it up with a laser cuz it was stuck. I can't remember if I ever told you I put my progress up on instagram. My name is SilentNightSun. If you have a phone you can do instagram. Don't need to be a techy guru. Cuz I sure aint either.

That was a cool video!!! Lots of good flatland stuff in there. That's pretty much all I'm doing lately. But strangely enough I'm still only doing it from 2 pegs. For some reason I can't get over how 4 pegs feel. I don't like it. LOL. But I still got a lot to learn and the stuff I'm working on I can do from 2 pegs.

How have you been? You got a pic of the new bike you put together? Are you riding still? I know in the states it kind of depends one where you at as far as how strict they are being with people and masks and such but I think pretty much everywhere parks are open now and people are riding. Except Hawaii......
Old 09-23-20, 08:10 PM
acir71

Originally Posted by 3S1M
I don't know how I missed this!!! Yeah things been going well. I got back on the bmx sometime in June. The ribs healed up and I got the stone out. They broke it up with a laser cuz it was stuck. I can't remember if I ever told you I put my progress up on instagram. My name is SilentNightSun. If you have a phone you can do instagram. Don't need to be a techy guru. Cuz I sure aint either.

That was a cool video!!! Lots of good flatland stuff in there. That's pretty much all I'm doing lately. But strangely enough I'm still only doing it from 2 pegs. For some reason I can't get over how 4 pegs feel. I don't like it. LOL. But I still got a lot to learn and the stuff I'm working on I can do from 2 pegs.

How have you been? You got a pic of the new bike you put together? Are you riding still? I know in the states it kind of depends one where you at as far as how strict they are being with people and masks and such but I think pretty much everywhere parks are open now and people are riding. Except Hawaii......
Good to know that health issues been sorted out! And a progress vid?!! You been busy, I don't hv Insta, but will chk it out using my daughter's. Maybe I'll get her to put up some of my riding vid too?

So you running chromo or plastic pegs? I think the plastic ones are really worth trying, if you considering to fill in the remaining vacancy. I actually just removed mine. Been frequenting my local park since the lockdown removed, and riding both park n flat. But eventually I kinda do better at the ramps so last week I revert back to my old park frame, rawed n freecoastered! I dunno man, turning 50 by March next year, but the riding has been crazier than it used to be. It's like you suddenly realized that you're in the final leg of your journey and theres not much to lose already! Bruised and limping a lot these days, but life's been great, yes?

Hey guys if you fancy them tricks 180s 360s fakie and all, ya all shld consider freecoaster. Fakie is easier, but pulling out of that is something else. You don't enjoy the benefit of instant pedal pressure hence have to grow stronger and eventually improve your technique. I've been having so much fun since I have those! Overall I think it just look smoother pulling out of things and not back pedalling. But miss the cassette sound tho!

Happy riding n stay safe ya all!!

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 09-23-20, 08:13 PM
acir71

2017 Haro Master Flatland frame

2007 Colony Sect frame
Old 09-24-20, 02:48 PM
3S1M

Heck yeah man nice bikes!!! Good job on going for it!!!! I'm right there with you in the boat. Although you are doing more physical stuff than I am. Right now I'm just doing my 10-15 minute sessions. Not every night as much. We had a bunch of rain and I got in the habit of not going every night. I will try and get back to every night but I'm kind of up and down with being tired at that time. I do ride my 2 miles rain or shine on a different bike. Many times with my wife. That one is even more important to me cuz I'm getting good exercise and I spend time with my wife doing it some nights. She doesn't always but she does a lot in the summer. Don't know when it will be time for her to hang it up this year. It's up and down with hot and cold. She doesn't like going much under 60 degrees. LOL.

I totally get what you're saying about being our age and thining.... hmmmmm how much longer will I be able to do this. I'm trying to make the most of a lot of things right now!!!! None of us know how long we got. I mean it's in God's hands but I mean.....

So... if you go check out my instagram @SilentNightSun.... my last post was of me landing a footjam tailwhip and being so excited. Over 8 months I've been working on the trick. Getting closer and closer. I had been getting over the bike quite a bit. Even got my feet on the pedals again sometimes but always had to put my foot down from losing balance. Well two nights ago I nailed it. Probably fakied further than I ever have after swinging the bike around and got back on fakied a little and rolled off. Wooooooohoooooooo !!!! I mean how cool is it to be a 48 year old lyme disease fighter to be able to footjam tail whip. I also have been doing 720 no lift bar spins. Love those. I know, nothing earth shattering but still freaking fun to me.

And yeah, I wanna free coaster. I've been spending my money on music stuff lately. I'm a singer songwriter and I got together with an old drrummer of mine and we're making music of mine. We used to be in a band together back in the 90's. We both were in quite a few over the years but we always got along really well. I play drums too and bought myself a drum set for 50 bucks off facebook. LOL. Just to shake the rust off. I may try to play drums at church down the road. They are in need of more drummers.

Anyways... But yeah I want a freecoaster pretty bad. I have plastic cult pegs on the right side. I'm still not wanting to put 2 more on. LOL. I guess I'm a half of a flatlander at this point. LOL.

Thanks for checking in and thanks for posting pics!!!!

Likes For 3S1M:
Old 11-13-20, 12:10 PM
Afcyclestx
RiseUpRideHardGrindOn

Bikes: Throne Tracklord, Throne Phantom, IRO, Haro V1 SS Conversion, Vintage Specialized Rockhopper SS Conversion, Raleigh Carlton, Stolen BMX, Gravity Deadeye 29er, Vintage Ironhorse 26” FG Conversion, State Megalith, Pure Fix steel, Trek 7500,

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Never too old

I’m 48 and I still BMX.
Likes For Afcyclestx:
Old 03-30-21, 07:13 PM
efdeel

Bikes: XC 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 46, I use my daughter BMX to go to convinience store.....jump on some speed bumps with max speed around 34km/h
Old 04-04-21, 08:31 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Way back in the 70s I rode a modified sting ray like some bmx bike. Never raced but like the simplicity of a BMX bike.
THis is what I ride now, a 29r SS coaster brake that ride so much better than any 20 inch bike I have had. Built it from a Southernport hybrid from Japan.

OBTW I am 64.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 05-28-21, 10:28 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
Way back in the 70s I rode a modified sting ray like some bmx bike. Never raced but like the simplicity of a BMX bike.
THis is what I ride now, a 29r SS coaster brake that ride so much better than any 20 inch bike I have had. Built it from a Southernport hybrid from Japan.

OBTW I am 64.
nice looking bike!
Old 07-06-21, 04:57 PM
zilauk

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My dad told me that he used to look up on the guys riding the BMX bikes and now when he is 49 he is thinking about buying a ride for himself, so the age is just a number
Likes For zilauk:
Old 08-25-21, 12:46 PM
BOSSUSA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for a BMX 26 + design with gears and a front shock

Used to race when I was young until I was 16. Then I got into mountain biking and didn’t like the design. I guess I was just so used to my BMX style of design. I’m looking for a BMX design with of course bigger tires front hydraulic shock and gears. I’ve seen on the PK Ripper site which was a bike I rode for a little while but then ended up with my boss USA anyways they have on the PK Ripper website BMX bikes with gears but then no hydraulic shock in the front but then they do have one with hydraulic shock in the front without gears? I would be grateful for any help direction with what I’m looking for much appreciated
Old 10-20-21, 09:34 AM
MaxRider

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I’m 44 and bought a Kink Whip a few months ago. It’s been one of the best investments of my life! Been having so much fun with my kids at the skate park.
Likes For MaxRider:
Old 11-03-21, 06:56 AM
JohnFord

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
35yo
Likes For JohnFord:
Old 11-17-21, 09:14 PM
Chris20nyy

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
About to turn 40, and ready to rediscover my childhood! Shopping for bikes currently
Likes For Chris20nyy:
Old 08-14-22, 01:26 AM
RogerEye1253

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are never too old to do something comrade. Just do what you want and what you enjoy.
Old 08-18-22, 01:33 AM
benefitsofa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm surprised there are so many older guys.
Old 12-08-22, 06:37 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by benefitsofa
I'm surprised there are so many older guys.
Well once you ride. My first day of high school I rode my Redline Squareback, in 1977.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.