Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will you pay hundreds more just to help your shop?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 11:28 AM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

So, Im looking at a set of wheels. My bike shop sells this wheel for $899 per set. After this, Ill have to pay 6.75% tax. My shop says, "we will discount them 30% because the 2017's are on the way" and they are really proud to say that. Well, thats $670 with tax AFTER the discount. These wheels are pasted all over the net for $499 with free ship and no tax.

So do you die hard "support your LBS or they will close" guys by these wheels to help the LBS? I sure hope not. Ill buy tires and low end stuff there as well as stuff that is comparable but I cant see that. Not unless you just have more cash on hand than you need.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 09-21-16, 11:33 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Heath
I sure hope not.
Why would it bother you what others do with their money?
Old 09-21-16, 12:00 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
if i need wheels right then, sure.
Old 09-21-16, 12:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
All (just about) of us have a personal threshold which divides what we'll "overpay" for to either support a shop, or for the convenience of seeing and touching before buying, or easier return or whatever. I won't set a dollar price, leaving that to individual choice.

There's also the threshold based on product type. For example, if a laptop computer dies or is stolen and you can find a deal on the net why not since you know exactly what your buying. Long before the internet, or the popularity of mail order bike stuff, one of the first products to see major shifts to mail order was photography. Not so much film, and small accessories, or even cameras, but expensive specialty lens for top line Nikon and other SLRs. After all, if you own a Nikon and want a 300mm lens you know exactly what it is, and for the seller it's only a question of putting a label on a small box.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-21-16, 12:08 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Are they identical? Same spokes, same spoke count, same rims, same hubs, same competent hand-assembly? If the bike shop is hand-building and warrantying wheels, and the alternative is a set purchased on the internet that are machine-built, then the price difference is justifiable, and I would probably buy locally.
Old 09-21-16, 12:10 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Gotta be careful about those 'no tax' claims, because some states do collect taxes on online orders (OK just started not too long ago).
Old 09-21-16, 12:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Gotta be careful about those 'no tax' claims, because some states do collect taxes on online orders (OK just started not too long ago).
Not to hijack this, but to clarify:

In most states, the consumer is the one taxed and liable for payment. If the tax isn't collected by the seller, the consumer is supposed to pay it directly. Some states even have lines in income tax forms for this obligation.

Meanwhile, since virtually nobody pays, some states are extorting sellers to get them to play the role of tax collector.

let's not discuss this here, since it's more of a P&R issue, but there's plenty of information on this sales tax issue on the net, including discussion of various proposed laws to address it.

So, no sidetrack, go to the net and search "interstate sales tax"

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-21-16, 12:46 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
So, Im looking at a set of wheels. My bike shop sells this wheel for $899 per set. After this, Ill have to pay 6.75% tax. My shop says, "we will discount them 30% because the 2017's are on the way" and they are really proud to say that. Well, thats $670 with tax AFTER the discount. These wheels are pasted all over the net for $499 with free ship and no tax.

So do you die hard "support your LBS or they will close" guys by these wheels to help the LBS? I sure hope not. Ill buy tires and low end stuff there as well as stuff that is comparable but I cant see that. Not unless you just have more cash on hand than you need.
A couple of years ago, my (stock) back wheel failed. So I take the wheel to the LBS that sold me the bike and we agree on a new, hand made wheel. So the shop builds the wheel and a few days later, I have my new wheel. Everything is fine until last weekend when I pop a spoke. So I take the wheel back to the bike shop that built the wheel and they replace the spoke, retrue the wheel. They do it while I wait. No charge. Sometimes good service on the back end is worth paying a few bucks for up front.
Old 09-21-16, 12:48 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I like to support my shop, but I also like to watch deals.

If I needed the shop to put the component on my bike, then I'd just buy it at the shop. A lot of times I can do (and prefer to do) the wrenching myself, so I'll buy the component for cheap off the internet.

Now if I wanted to demo the wheels and the shop was going to let me ride them for a bit and try out others before purchase, I'd spend the extra money and buy them through the shop.

Right now I'm in the process of building a bike from the frame up with my shop. I ordered a bunch of things through the shop that I couldn't find much cheaper online...however, the brand new Cannondale SiSL crankset I found on ebay for $200 is quite the steal compared to the $975 msrp...considering I just dropped around $8k on two bikes from the shop, they're not complaining at all about crankset.

Old 09-21-16, 12:53 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Tough call. If it were me and I knew that the LBS built the wheels themselves, from scratch, not just tweaked and tensioned, and were good wheelsmiths then yes, I'd buy from the LBS. If not, if they were the same wheels as on-line then no, I would buy on-line. That extra attention to detail that a hand-built wheel provides comes at a price. I'm willing to pay extra for that price if it were $670 as you stated but I would not pay the retail of $899. The extra $170 dollars over on-line is something I would be willing to part with....IF they are good wheelsmiths.
Old 09-21-16, 12:57 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I might go 10% over internet price if I "needed" something today. But "need" is really "want" as I have several bikes to ride and should just wait and save the extra cash.

That said, I do all my own maintenance, so they're not going to notice non-LBS parts on my bike.
Old 09-21-16, 01:14 PM
doctor j

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a new set of wheels about 900 miles ago. My LBS offered one brand of hand built wheels that was a little over my budget. I wanted another brand. In talking to the builder online, he was interested in getting his wheels into more shops. I got the builder and my LBS together and then bought the wheels through my LBS. LBS knocked $50 off the price. Everybody was happy.
Old 09-21-16, 01:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts

I sure hope not.
Why?
Old 09-21-16, 01:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
they Pay me, I help them..

BTW, spoked wheels last longer if not let go unmaintained, so service after the sale has value .

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-21-16 at 01:44 PM.
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
No, although I might shop at an LBS if they charged $100-$200 less to cover my time driving and the cost of using my car.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 09-22-16 at 02:35 PM.
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad

Yep. I know in PA you will get hit with sales tax on taxable items if you order on line from a retailer that has a brick & mortar store in the state. A great example that impacts me is REI.
Old 09-21-16, 01:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't "Support my LBS".

I make informed decisions about the value of products.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
for the convenience of seeing and touching before buying, or easier return or whatever.
This hits the nail on the head. If buying local adds value then I might be open to paying more.

Supporting the LBS is one of the last things on my mind.

-Tim-
Old 09-21-16, 01:44 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, i wont pay more than needed at ANY shop.

My LBS wanted $50+ for new tires and tubes. I went to a local bike organization that helps Vets and got them for $25.
Old 09-21-16, 01:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
same Exact tire?

there are different features at $48 that don't come on $20 tires, like puncture resistant barriers.
Old 09-21-16, 01:54 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
My threshold is somewhere around 25% more to a local shop who is helpful to me. I don't have a bike shop locally that I use but in the past I dealt a lot with a local (independent) motor cycle shop. I ran across a receipt recently for some parts and a repair I have done at that shop. On it was a Wiseco piston kit at $136 that sales online for right at $100, so I will go above the 25% but generally that's the number I always have in my head.
Old 09-21-16, 06:48 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
This thread should specify that the shop's and online item are the exact same item or the replies dont mean a lot.
Old 09-21-16, 07:06 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
"hundreds more" for an identical item? No.
If there's a justifiable difference in value ? Probably if the budget allows, and I can't compensate for the difference in value.
Old 09-21-16, 07:21 PM
FullGas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
nah...

been doing this way too long to pay MSRP for something I can order online and install myself.

there's a large contingent of people new to the sport that don't know how to work on their bikes that can provide profit for an LBS.
Old 09-21-16, 07:36 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
same Exact tire?

there are different features at $48 that don't come on $20 tires, like puncture resistant barriers.
Are you saying the organization sold me crap tires?
Old 09-21-16, 08:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I buy mostly online because I do my own work. The exception would be things I want to try on or handle first, like shoes or helmets. I wouldn't go to the shop, try on a helmet and then order it online because it was cheaper. With the OP's wheels, it depends. Did he independently decide what wheels he wanted, then go to the LBS and ask the price? Or did he go to the shop, ask what they recommended, handle the wheels, take up their time and then go home and look for a better price on the internet? Different situations, different behavior.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.