Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub Maintenance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Freehub Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-20, 12:59 AM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Freehub Maintenance

Not trying to repeat myself.
recently had a hub explode on me

for prevention maintenance
what is best to do and how often?

should i take free wheel off/ cassette. once a year and lube everything inside?

seems quite a tedious and time consuming?
but would this prevent from system breaking and prolonged the life of it forever?
Old 08-18-20, 07:54 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Wow, what do you mean by explode? Hubs, if traditional cup and cone should be serviced periodically depending on mileage/riding conditions, etc. Many how to do its on the internet and in bicycle books. I like Lennard Zinns book myself.
Old 08-18-20, 08:10 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
some freehubs are not made to be serviced and some are virtually impossible to find replacements once they go. some are really not very durable at all and that sucks.
Old 08-18-20, 10:39 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Not trying to repeat myself.
recently had a hub explode on me

for prevention maintenance
what is best to do and how often?

should i take free wheel off/ cassette. once a year and lube everything inside?

seems quite a tedious and time consuming?
but would this prevent from system breaking and prolonged the life of it forever?
I'll also ask what do you mean "explode"? Actually fracture into pieces, bearing failure or just the freewheeling mechanism either seize or freewheel both ways?

Anyway, yes, periodic overhauls and relubing should be done for cup-and-cone hubs and periodic relubing of the freehub body is also recommended. Will they last forever if you do it? Of course not but they will last a lot longer than if you don't. Tedious and time consuming I suppose if you aren't willing to put a couple of hours a year into maintaining your bike.
Old 08-18-20, 10:40 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I overhaul my shimano hubs at about 2500 miles and the freehub body every 500 miles. I rarely need to replace balls.
Old 08-18-20, 10:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
I overhaul my shimano hubs at about 2500 miles and the freehub body every 500 miles. I rarely need to replace balls.
I don't do it nearly as often but I overhaul (clean, new balls, grease, adjust the bearing clearances and oil the freehub body) my Shimano and Campy hubs at 7500 - 8500 mile intervals or about every two years on the two bikes I ride the most. Thus far I have 50,000+ miles on a Campy Chorus front hub, 40,000+ miles on a set of Shimano WH-R560 wheels and over 72,000 miles on a FH-7700 Dura Ace freehub. All of these hubs still have the original cones and races and the original freehub bodies still work perfectly.
Old 08-18-20, 11:00 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
You used to be able to disassemble Shimano freehubs with a special tool, but that tool is very hard to find now. probably better to remove it, flush it out, and dribble some new oil in there. https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...icle-section-2
Old 08-18-20, 11:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-...eehub-flusher/
Old 08-18-20, 12:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I've never overhauled a free hub. I've never had issues with one. I have had issues with freewheels on my kids bikes that were left out in the rain.

Do you wash your bike? Maybe just wiping it down would be a better choice to keep from getting water up in the freehub that won't dry out till well after the rust starts..

I find it hard to believe that someone rebuilds their free hub every two or three months. My oldest free hub is five years old and quite a few miles on it. It's never been opened. When It goes bad, I'll be happy to put a new one on it and rejoice that I didn't spend time fiddling with it instead of riding... or posting here at BF when I should be riding. <grin>