Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Modern touring wheelset with dyno hub - what can you recommend?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Modern touring wheelset with dyno hub - what can you recommend?

Old 01-17-21, 04:47 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I don't build wheels so I had Peter White build a Son Dynamo in to a wheel using a Manic 32 hole Open Pro rim. That was about 7 or 8 years ago at least and I have not had to think about it since.. I use mine for commuting riding around etc. In my mind it has been money well spent.
Old 01-18-21, 01:16 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
I would disagree and say daily commuting is one of the better reasons for a dynamo. Charging lights on a regular basis is a big annoyance for me and then on top of that, if you don’t charge your lights every day, then guesstimating if you can get one more ride out of the charge. Knowing your lights are ready to go, anytime, anywhere is a wonderful luxury.
Minimizing how much of my investment is being left out at a rack to tempt thieves and simply plugging my lights in when I plug in my phone at work/school/home is the closest I get to Cycling Luxury in the sort of town I live in. My lights are always ready for a longer ride than I’m ever taking them on.

I did have a dynamo wheel some years back- I’m rather grateful that it got ruined in a wreck. A hated worrying about it getting stolen by some dink with a battery powered right angle grinder. I don’t intend on getting one again till I get to a place in life where I can go on multi-week tours.
Old 01-18-21, 09:18 PM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
2 cents

Decide exactly what tire size you want to run......make sure you really want what you want.....choose rim and spokes and nipples with extreme care ..I would spend my money here..........I think almost all of the mentioned dynamos work great.......Ive tried a good number of them and really cant tell much difference between them ................search for an expert builder.....dont take it to just anybody.......any one can assemble a wheel by watching you tube......but to get it to stay true and take years of use is almost an art ....... properly built wheel set will last forever and be a pure joy. for years and years ......if your wheels keep going out of true and breaking spokes......it will tax your domestic tranquility.....your investment in your dynamo wheels will be all for naught
Old 01-19-21, 12:18 PM
trailmix

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
I am running a SON Widebody Delux on the front of my tourer with a Paul JONO hub on the back laced to Velocity Fusion wheels with Wheelsmith DB spokes. Happy with the results.
Old 01-27-21, 01:09 PM
reducedfatoreo

Bikes: Old Cannondales: '85 ST400, '85 ST500, '85 SR900, '01 R600 CAAD4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been having a really good experience with IDC's "Stout" front wheel: Intelligent Design Cycles - Dynamo Wheels and Wheelsets | Intelligentdesigncycles
It's been on my Cannondale ST, commuting daily in NYC for about four+ years with no issues.

Looks like they may be sold out, but Charlie at IDC is pretty responsive, so I'd recommend reaching out to him to see if there are any left that he could send your way. I ended up also getting a "Classy" set to build out another ST frame I found on Craigslist, but I haven't ridden on those yet, so I can't speak to their quality.