Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cable routing for bar end shifters

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-03-21, 05:01 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts

I thought that the right way to route the cables for bar end shifters was to run them up the bars so that they come out underneath the brake levers. That's the way I was taught to do them when I worked in a shop and that's how I set up my 70s Fuji Finest. Then I saw a pic of how Mariano Basso had his bar end shifters set up. Whoa, he had his mechanic set them up so that they ran all the way underneath the tape and came out near the handlebars. It just happens that I picked up a 1971 Witcomb with all campy stuff including campy bar end shifters. The cable housing on that bike is set up just like Mariano did it. Who the heck am I to argue with Mariano Basso . . .

70s Fuji Finest

1971 Witcomb as found in the "wild"

Basso's bike
Old 04-03-21, 05:22 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 646 Posts
I know back in the day most people dumped them out below the brake levers like your first photo. I prefer the cables hidden more, and exiting near the stem.

Nowadays there's some better cable and housing options that have less friction, so the second option functions better now(as opposed to back in the day).

But, to each his own..

BTW, very nice bikes.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 04-03-21, 05:30 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
I know back in the day most people dumped them out below the brake levers like your first photo. I prefer the cables hidden more, and exiting near the stem.

Nowadays there's some better cable and housing options that have less friction, so the second option functions better now(as opposed to back in the day).

But, to each his own..

BTW, very nice bikes.
I tend to side with Roger - I like to run mine up to the stem and keep them more hidden. So far no problems in shifting.

Old 04-03-21, 05:32 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 195 Posts
Both options work. Like Roger M and Mariano Basso I prefer mine to exit near the stem, otherwise the housing can get in the way of fingers when riding in the drops. Looking cleaner is an extra bonus, and the extra housing doesn't seem to add any significant friction.
Old 04-03-21, 05:40 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
My Mondia has Campy bar ends and the cables exit near the stem and loop across each other slightly to avoid a sharper bend . I have a photo from 1973 of my bike and that’s how it came back then.
Old 04-03-21, 05:56 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 152 Posts
Another vote for exiting at the stem. Much cleaner look, especially if you’re running aero brake levers too.
Old 04-03-21, 06:10 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,563 Posts
an extra twist on the idea of routing the cables all the way up to the center of the bars... instead of the right shifter cable going to the right cable stop on the down tube, route it over to the cable stop on the left side of the down tube. Similarly, route the left shifter cable to the cable stop on the right side of the downtube. To get the cables to the correct derailleur, the cables will cross from left to right, and visa versa, under the down tube.

The reason to do this is to avoid having the cable housing rubbing on the head tube.

Haven't tried this myself... I use the traditional method of having the cables exit the bar tape at the bottom of the bar's curve....

Steve in Peoria
Old 04-03-21, 06:19 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
I've done it with the cables going out at the drop bend, I've done it with 'criss cross' cables so you have nicer arcs and I've done it under the wraps.

With modern cable and housing, there's really no reason to NOT do it all under the wraps- the friction difference is negligible. Unless you like the looks of the "traditional" ways.

Then again, if you're using a front rack and a rack bag- you really want it to go under the wraps since the cables will interfere with the bag.

Under the wraps (with aero levers)

IMG_0220 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

The arcs of the cables with the 'criss cross' cables- it's so much easier to get right- and it looks more pleasing to me.

CrissCrossCables by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

CrissCrossFront by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

To do that ^ you need to have the cables crossed at some other point- it's easiest under the downtube. Of course, this can be problematic if your cables don't go under the BB.

UnderDownTube by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I wish I would have taken some better, non-cluttered pix when I had the bike set up that way.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 04-03-21, 06:34 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I thought that the right way to route the cables for bar end shifters was to run them up the bars so that they come out underneath the brake levers. That's the way I was taught to do them when I worked in a shop and that's how I set up my 70s Fuji Finest. Then I saw a pic of how Mariano Basso had his bar end shifters set up. Whoa, he had his mechanic set them up so that they ran all the way underneath the tape and came out near the handlebars. It just happens that I picked up a 1971 Witcomb with all campy stuff including campy bar end shifters. The cable housing on that bike is set up just like Mariano did it. Who the heck am I to argue with Mariano Basso . . .

Basso's bike
If I were doing it I'd do the Basso thing but with a double cross. First cross with the housing in front of the head tube and then cross the inners under the downtube.

This will work even better with modern housing.
Old 04-03-21, 07:08 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

mounting tip -

when you have everything mounted and adjusted the way you think you want it give the machine a test ride prior to bar wrapping

some riders discover that their knees can hit the ends of the shift levers when pedaling out of the saddle

if you find this symptom one solution is to trim the trail on the bar

-----
Old 04-03-21, 07:26 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I've had by barcon shifter cables routed the 'traditional' way since the '70s. Never had a problem with the cable getting in the way of my fingers while riding in the drops. I DID try to route them exiting at the stem (with the original coiled stainless housing) and there was too much friction. Maybe if I used new slick stainless inner cables and Teflon-lined housing that wouldn't be an issue...

Old 04-03-21, 08:00 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Wrapping the cables a little ways up the bend (a tad more than the yellow Miyata above) let's me use the drops and brake without cables in the way and provides a really nice curve to the downtube bosses. Cable friction is always bad and should be reduced whenever practical.
Old 04-03-21, 08:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Traditional routing preferred here. I like wide bars and try to keep cable loops a little tighter. I have original housings saved for a project but standard stuff works better than well. Helps prevent paint wear marks on headtube.

Old 04-03-21, 08:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I've done it with the cables going out at the drop bend, I've done it with 'criss cross' cables so you have nicer arcs and I've done it under the wraps.

With modern cable and housing, there's really no reason to NOT do it all under the wraps- the friction difference is negligible. Unless you like the looks of the "traditional" ways.

Then again, if you're using a front rack and a rack bag- you really want it to go under the wraps since the cables will interfere with the bag.

Under the wraps (with aero levers)

IMG_0220 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

The arcs of the cables with the 'criss cross' cables- it's so much easier to get right- and it looks more pleasing to me.

CrissCrossCables by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

CrissCrossFront by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

To do that ^ you need to have the cables crossed at some other point- it's easiest under the downtube. Of course, this can be problematic if your cables don't go under the BB.

UnderDownTube by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

I wish I would have taken some better, non-cluttered pix when I had the bike set up that way.
^^^this

The "cyclocross" gambit.
Old 04-03-21, 08:58 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Old 04-03-21, 09:08 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 286 Posts
No real wrong way to do it. Std assembly protocol in the shop in the early '80s was an early exit, before the curve. I started running my own a little higher, finding the early exit routing kinda annoyingly floppy, especially with flexy stainless steel housing used back then, and it got in the way of bar bags. I've evolved to all the way to the top now, just find it cleaner, and I like the lines better. I do the criss-cross, but that only works with under-bb cable guides. Over-bb guides need the housing uncrossed.

Not so easy to see here, but the criss-crossed cables nestle right between the rear pockets on this Ostrich front bar bag. I really like how the criss-crossed housing frames the head tube.

Old 04-04-21, 01:52 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 302 Posts
Yet another version - I have mine wrapped in all the way up and crossed but do not cross them back. I shift the front derailleur with my right hand and the rear with my left. I am ambidexter which might help.

Old 04-04-21, 08:07 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
I use the traditional way of routing the cables being sure that they are just long enough so no interference with turning or shifting. I never understand why some applications have so much extra cable.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-04-21, 03:05 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I run mine all the way under the tape, shifting is not a problem, works great.

​​​​​​
Old 04-05-21, 01:12 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
My first exposure to them was on my first "good" bike that had them and the cables exited the tape at the brake levers.

I have always thought that this was the way to do it.

Mine was like this in baby blue, the earlier version.

Likes For merziac:
Old 04-05-21, 10:00 PM
pcb 

Does that sticker read Mizutani Super Seraph? Holy Japanese Obscurity, Batman!

Was there also a Regular Seraph, or a Seraph Standard, or a Minor Seraph? Or were they all Super?

I don't want to be ungracious to Japanese mechanics of yesteryear, or sour merziac's fond memories of that first good bike, but the high housing exit in the blue Super photo results in a suboptimal angle/bend where the housing meets the clamp. Not entirely elegant, or mechanically ideal.

Dame da to iitakakunai kedo, maaaa, mou hitotsu to iisuginai ka na? Don't wanna say it's wrong, but it kinda just ain't right...

Oh, also just noticed the way-too-long rear brake cable. Can't unsee that now.
Old 04-05-21, 10:19 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 86 Posts
I've done three bikes with the bar-end cables under the tape, exiting at the stem. Doesn't seem to bind up or anything, and it's a lot cleaner.
Old 04-05-21, 11:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by pcb
Does that sticker read Mizutani Super Seraph? Holy Japanese Obscurity, Batman!

Was there also a Regular Seraph, or a Seraph Standard, or a Minor Seraph? Or were they all Super?

I don't want to be ungracious to Japanese mechanics of yesteryear, or sour merziac's fond memories of that first good bike, but the high housing exit in the blue Super photo results in a suboptimal angle/bend where the housing meets the clamp. Not entirely elegant, or mechanically ideal.

Dame da to iitakakunai kedo, maaaa, mou hitotsu to iisuginai ka na? Don't wanna say it's wrong, but it kinda just ain't right...

Oh, also just noticed the way-too-long rear brake cable. Can't unsee that now.
Looks like they were always in a hurry with the cables, no time to take a step back and see how its going.

As far as I know, they were a PNW thing, distributed by Life Cycles and sold from a chain of Life Cycles shops, East, West, Roth and a couple others, my first one a basic Seraph came from the East store, the Super came from Mel Renfro's bike shop.

Yep, Seraph, Spree and, you guessed it, Super. Funny thing, the awesome HB says Mizutani Super Seraph on all models so many that come up for sale get listed as "Super Seraph's". They were all heavy, my Super rode great as far as I new, despite that. I had the lever exit for the cables working great for me once I got it down after anchoring them with electrical tape to hold them in place before wrapping over them. Back then wrapping up to the stem wasn't a thing and like you, I didn't like them flopping around when only wrapped for the first few inches.
Old 04-06-21, 12:24 AM
pcb 

Mizutani was a trading company, yet another one of those scrappy companies that put together a bike line to feed the US bike boom.

My two favorites were looking to sign up dealers at the '80/'81 International Toy & Bicycle Shows at the Javits Center in NYC. One was, I kid you not, Karate Bicycle. The other was Oxjap Bicycle, short for Occident-Japan, but I always saw it as a rude way to address Japanese oxen.

We had kind of self-imposed trouble bringing in any of the other big Japanese brands, because the former owner was a bigwig at Fuji, and the shop was named Fuji Cycle Center. So we were always on the lookout for a good smaller brand that wouldn't bother Fuji and wouldn't bother the smaller brand being in a Fuji shop. We did not take on Karate or Oxjap, but we did bring in Matsuri, which is the Japanese word for "festival." Maruka Machinery owned the Matsuri brand, and the bikes were sourced from Nissan. Don't know who else Nissan might have been building for.

Originally Posted by merziac
Looks like they were always in a hurry with the cables, no time to take a step back and see how its going.

As far as I know, they were a PNW thing, distributed by Life Cycles and sold from a chain of Life Cycles shops, East, West, Roth and a couple others, my first one a basic Seraph came from the East store, the Super came from Mel Renfro's bike shop.

Yep, Seraph, Spree and, you guessed it, Super. Funny thing, the awesome HB says Mizutani Super Seraph on all models so many that come up for sale get listed as "Super Seraph's". They were all heavy, my Super rode great as far as I new, despite that. I had the lever exit for the cables working great for me once I got it down after anchoring them with electrical tape to hold them in place before wrapping over them. Back then wrapping up to the stem wasn't a thing and like you, I didn't like them flopping around when only wrapped for the first few inches.
Old 04-06-21, 12:39 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by pcb
Mizutani was a trading company, yet another one of those scrappy companies that put together a bike line to feed the US bike boom.

My two favorites were looking to sign up dealers at the '80/'81 International Toy & Bicycle Shows at the Javits Center in NYC. One was, I kid you not, Karate Bicycle. The other was Oxjap Bicycle, short for Occident-Japan, but I always saw it as a rude way to address Japanese oxen.

We had kind of self-imposed trouble bringing in any of the other big Japanese brands, because the former owner was a bigwig at Fuji, and the shop was named Fuji Cycle Center. So we were always on the lookout for a good smaller brand that wouldn't bother Fuji and wouldn't bother the smaller brand being in a Fuji shop. We did not take on Karate or Oxjap, but we did bring in Matsuri, which is the Japanese word for "festival." Maruka Machinery owned the Matsuri brand, and the bikes were sourced from Nissan. Don't know who else Nissan might have been building for.
So did Mizutani sell bikes anywhere else in the states? The first boat anchor Seraph came to me through a promotion with Coca-Cola, you could collect bottle caps and trade them for up to 1/2 of the cost of a new Seraph, I got the bottle caps from a gas station pop machine in record time and my Dad paid for the other half. I managed to get it stolen within about a year I think.
Likes For merziac:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.