Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1958 Cinelli rims

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1958 Cinelli rims

Old 04-06-21, 07:13 PM
peashooter

Bikes: Roold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
1958 Cinelli rims

What would be the correct rims to have on this bike? I have a lot of rims to choose from and was wondering if I have something that would be correct. Also looking for a Campy chrome steel seat post in 26.2mm. I have a 26.6 but too large for the bike. I believe this bike would have had a set of steel bars. I need to measure the Cinelli stem I have to check the size. I'll post pictures of the frame and serial number soon.
Old 04-06-21, 07:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,295 Times in 3,631 Posts
Originally Posted by peashooter
What would be the correct rims to have on this bike? I have a lot of rims to choose from and was wondering if I have something that would be correct. Also looking for a Campy chrome steel seat post in 26.2mm. I have a 26.6 but too large for the bike. I believe this bike would have had a set of steel bars. I need to measure the Cinelli stem I have to check the size. I'll post pictures of the frame and serial number soon.
Not sure what rims but the chrome steel seat posts are the epitome of hens teeth, finding another one in the correct size would be a miracle of extraordinary magnitude, especially at a price remotely within reason.

It may be a challenge just finding a good condition later one.
Old 04-06-21, 07:38 PM
peashooter

Here are some pics.

Badge has a dark blue backround
Likes For peashooter:
Old 04-06-21, 07:44 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
I have no advice for you but what a nice bike. hoping to watch the build.
Old 04-06-21, 07:53 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
CINELLI Timeline

Cinelli Components history (with photos)

I honestly have no idea on the wheel rims, but I don't think Cinelli was making their own branded rims.
Old 04-06-21, 07:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
My mind is floating towards Nisi tubular rims, even though I couldn't really point to a particular set and be confident to it's age matching the bike, nor could I say whether they were OE on these. Nonetheless, I believe a period set would be perfectly complementary and a likely piece of kit to find on one back when they were new.

-Kurt

Old 04-06-21, 08:03 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Fiamme - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ease-join.html

Nisi , Ambrosio with the shield label, Weinmann wood-filled are original to my Cinelli
Likes For iab:
Old 04-06-21, 08:09 PM
iab

I forgot, Mavic.

Go here - https://www.speedbicycles.ch/

Look at any Italian bike from the era. Pick out something.
Old 04-06-21, 10:03 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Fiamme - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ease-join.html

Nisi , Ambrosio with the shield label, Weinmann wood-filled are original to my Cinelli
I vote Fiamne.

also vote Nitor post and saddle- more available than a Steel Campagnolo in 26.2- still not for the thin of wallet.

the vast majority of Steel Cinelli bars are the same as the Pista at the clamp region.

I had ONE non anodized Cinelli aluminum Giro bend bar that fit the Cinelli steel stem. Sold for a silly, can’t pass up offer. That old Italian steed will have to soldier on with an Ambrosio set.
Old 04-06-21, 11:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

So not doubting but where does the 1958 dating come from?

These more than many are notoriously hard to date.

You have assembled an impressive stock of parts that we see, amazing.

Can we have a good pic of the seatpost plz?

Also amazing to find a chrome frame and fork this nice and this old, let alone both of these things.

Old 04-06-21, 11:49 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I vote Fiamne.

also vote Nitor post and saddle- more available than a Steel Campagnolo in 26.2- still not for the thin of wallet.

the vast majority of Steel Cinelli bars are the same as the Pista at the clamp region.

I had ONE non anodized Cinelli aluminum Giro bend bar that fit the Cinelli steel stem. Sold for a silly, can’t pass up offer. That old Italian steed will have to soldier on with an Ambrosio set.
Keep in mind that those Nitor seat posts are really short - much shorter than a Campy. Saying it would give you a "French fit" might be exaggerating how high you could get the saddle. I'm not sayng you should not get one, just that you need to be aware of what you will get.

Keep in mind that the serial number is pretty much useless for dating the frame. It appears that if Cino & Co. had a date-sensitive numbering system, its secrets have been lost in the mists of time. Do not assume that the "5898" serial number means the frame was built in 1958; any correlation between that number and 1958 would be purely coincidental. If you don't have any other basis for knowing the build year, your best bet for estimating it is to consult the Cinelli timeline in the Velo Retro website and compare your frame's details with it. In your case, I'd especially look for the "wolf ear" head tube lugs, which appear to have been discontinued in 1960. I can't tell from your photos if yours has them or not.

Since Cinellis could be (and often were) purchased as frame-and-fork only when new, or were built up by the shop selling them, you can go with just about anything, components-wise, that is from the right time period and still be "period correct." Hence the various options regarding your choice of rims. BTW, the gear you've assembled so far looks pretty good to my somewhat-knowledgeable-but-not-expert eye.

Great find. They are great frames. I am fortunate to have two mid-60s example in my rather large size, one set up to be Eroica-compliant (but not "period correct") and one set up with Campy 10sp triple. Heavy as heck (but then, so am I), but great riding bikes, Congrats on landing one to the all-time great and iconic frames, and welcome to the club.
Old 04-07-21, 04:53 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 924 Posts
Aerospokes
Old 04-07-21, 12:23 PM
peashooter

The bike is from my late brother's collection. He had that date listed, so I'm pretty sure it is at least close. There is something about the pedals that were one year only but I can't remember what exactly.
There is a set of red label Super Champion clinchers, a NOS set of Ambrosio rims, a NOS set of Jantes Clements, red label Super Champion Competitions, a set of Mephisto rims and a set of Weinman clinchers.

Campagnolo seat post
Likes For peashooter:
Old 04-07-21, 12:38 PM
iab

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I'd especially look for the "wolf ear" head tube lugs, which appear to have been discontinued in 1960. I can't tell from your photos if yours has them or not.
The blue background on the headbadge (assuming it is original) indicates its the 56mm version, pretty much pegging the bike no later than 1958. Could be as early as 1951. The lozenge decal disappeared after 1955, but without it, Cinellis look the same.

Nisi is probably the easiest of rims to find. They ones with the serrated bake walls were made in the 50s and 60s, so there are "lots" of them out there. Fiamme and Mavic would be the next "easiest". I personally disagree with the OP in the Fiamme thread. I don't think option #3 was available in the 50s. You can find the Weinmanns in Germany. Early Ambrosio rims are pretty tough to find outside of Torino.
Old 04-07-21, 12:40 PM
iab

There is a set of red label Super Champion clinchers, a NOS set of Ambrosio rims, a NOS set of Jantes Clements, red label Super Champion Competitions, a set of Mephisto rims and a set of Weinman clinchers.
Entirely depends on the labels on the rims and how "correct" you want to be.
Old 04-07-21, 12:50 PM
merziac

The bike is from my late brother's collection. He had that date listed, so I'm pretty sure it is at least close. There is something about the pedals that were one year only but I can't remember what exactly.

Campagnolo seat post
Tx for showing the SP, as you likely know, these are by any measure.

I'm going to throw this out and maybe sorry but you "could" hone or ream the ST for that SP to fit, not that far off, again, .

NOT advocating this BUT could be a consideration, obviously not in the best way.

Those pedals may be the short thread ones for the thinner crank arms of the time, Campy had a pressed in dustcap for the back of the pedal eye and raised lip on the outer side.

Last edited by merziac; 04-07-21 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-07-21, 01:51 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,030 Posts
Your brother had good taste. I'm sorry about his passing.

In your latest photos, I see the wolf ear head tube lugs, which according to the Velo Retro timeline means before 1960. Based on your brother's notes and all the other now-accumulated info, it sure looks to be from the 50s. Per iab's post, check the size of head badge. That will pin it down a little more.

Again, beautiful frame. The fact that it was your brother's makes it even more special.
Old 04-07-21, 02:10 PM
merziac

^^^Agreed, and good on the OP for moving it forward.
Old 04-07-21, 03:01 PM
peashooter

I found a set of early Fiamme rims as well. The Ambrosio's are still in the wrappers. The hubs are 36 hole so need to check the rims I have. I am going to post up photos of his bikes here. They are mostly going to Copake next week to be auctioned.

Old 04-07-21, 03:05 PM
peashooter

I thought about honing out the seat tube, but that would only be as a last resort if I was bound and determined to keep it period correct. I found an early steel Cinelli bar in a box of handlebars as well. Needs to be rechromed but no big deal as long as they don't buff away the logo.
Old 04-07-21, 03:16 PM
merziac

I thought about honing out the seat tube, but that would only be as a last resort if I was bound and determined to keep it period correct. I found an early steel Cinelli bar in a box of handlebars as well. Needs to be rechromed but no big deal as long as they don't buff away the logo.
The prudent course of course, a later all alloy one will be fine, as we all know many parts got changed out, upgraded, whatever, etc.

That being said, chrome frame, bars, stem in what appears to be fantastic condition and SP in what looks to be good condition would = .

Just sayin

Can't wait to see what else is there.
Old 04-07-21, 03:28 PM
iab

The Ambrosios you have are likely clinchers, which is fine, but the expectation for that bike would be tubulars. If it were me, I like the Clements, they have panache. I like panache.
Old 04-07-21, 03:34 PM
peashooter

Sew ups

Sew ups
Old 04-07-21, 03:35 PM
peashooter

Lousy pics, but both these sets are for sew ups. I like the Clements as well.
Old 04-07-21, 03:41 PM
iab

But the Ambrosios and Fiammes would be appropriate. You have options.

The 1 5/8 measurement on the Ambrosio wrapper is cool. Rarely have I seen a width listed for tubular rims, much more typical of clincher rims. Great stuff you are showing.