Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scared To Cycle On Shared Bike Path. Thoughts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Scared To Cycle On Shared Bike Path. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 10:56 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 60 Posts
I had a head on with a lycra clad trail warrior last year on the C&O canal towpath, they had pulled out to overtake the other members of their group despite the lead rider shouting that I was coming, no harm done as I landed in some bushes but they were a little cut up, still not as bad as the broken ribs I sustained a month later when I was rear ended by a car, there is some danger but I would say it is minimal and don't let it put you off riding bike paths, they are safer than roads.
Likes For Small cog:
Old 04-28-24, 11:21 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by mackgoo
I don't know how it is up north. Down here anyone riding two abreast when they see someone coming the other way goes to single file to allow room.
Used to irritate me when they didn't move over, but kept on riding 2 abreast while yakking away on their bikes. Happens a lot around Chicagoland. Now I don't let it ruin my day,

Pretty much defensive riding for me then. Be careful in blind curves. Use mirrors when we stop, etc.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 04-28-24 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 12:53 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,335 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So you are conflating electric bicycles and e-mopeds. STOP THAT. Seriously I get that e-mopeds have been lumped in with pedal assist bicycles according to lawmakers who couldn't tell the difference between their heads and their rear ends but a bicycle cannot move forward without someone pedaling. A moped can be pedaled but has a throttle and that is what you are talking about.
Unfortunately the world has passed you by. All of the sub-$500/$1000 electric powered bikes that the kids use are e-bikes. You may want use the term e-mopeds, and correct everyone you meet, but that’s not what the millions of kids out there call them.

And they are ridden like electric motorcycles.

John
Old 04-29-24, 05:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3722 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,829 Posts
A 750W e-motor can at least double the effective power of a strong recreational rider, triple that of an average rider. It can maintain this as long as the battery has juice, no wheezing after each climb. Regardless of whether the motor is controlled by pedals or throttle, "assist" is euphemistic and a trivialization.
Old 04-29-24, 05:52 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,686 Times in 830 Posts
Two things that give me confidence in traffic and on the MUPS:

A glasses- or helmet-mount mirror to easily see what's coming up behind.

An AirZound airhorn to announce my presence louder and farther than a bell.
Old 04-29-24, 06:34 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by scared_cyclist
I am terrified of getting into a head on collision with the careless lyrca lance armstrong types riding in tandem, e-bikes, dirtbikes, electric unicycles, and scooters that just rip it along the trail.

Is my fear unrealistic, or can I get hurt colliding with them?
One absolutely can get injured if an unwitting meandering person/dog jets out in front of a fast-moving cyclist along a path.

My solution:
  • Speed control -- Never, ever go faster than I'm capable of braking, when others are present on a path I'm using. Certainly means I'm taking longer along such segments. But it's certainly safer for all involved. Rapid closing rate can equate to severity of injuries.
  • Pass only when safe, and only at a distance where the passing speed is unlikely to contribute to injuries even if that person goes sideways.
  • Bell or other noise-maker -- To warn people I'm approaching, where I'm concerned they're meandering and unaware of their own "lane control" responsibility.

That said, occupied routes aren't IMO a good reason to refuse to use such routes. But it does require people to take responsibility for their contributions while there. Don't have much control over others on such routes, but I absolutely do have full control over my own actions, precautions.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 04-29-24, 08:45 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,124 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Or may an e-recumbent setup like Mad Max Fury Road.
I like !

this is much better than the blades and knives I’ve attached to my forks and axle ends

Last edited by t2p; 04-29-24 at 08:56 AM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-29-24, 08:53 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

mup safety 201

we ensure all benches are properly secured before passing them - and announce our presence to ward off bear altercations

( bear altercations rarely end well )
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-29-24, 09:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18489 Post(s)
Liked 15,786 Times in 7,412 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

mup safety 201

we ensure all benches are properly secured before passing them - and announce our presence to ward off bear altercations

( bear altercations rarely end well )
Why were you stalking that woman?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-29-24, 09:29 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Used to irritate me when they didn't move over, but kept on riding 2 abreast while yakking away on their bikes.
I don’t have a problem with that IF the trail is wide enough. We have some MUPs in my region that are very wide in places. What gets me more is when people stop in the right-of-way, sometimes effectively blocking it as if no one else is around.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-29-24, 09:32 AM
MilhouseJ

Bikes: Probably too many...

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Hello everyone,

Because of work schedules, and a lack of a car, I only have access to one bike trail in Toronto.

I am terrified of getting into a head on collision with the careless lyrca lance armstrong types riding in tandem, e-bikes, dirtbikes, electric unicycles, and scooters that just rip it along the trail.

Is my fear unrealistic, or can I get hurt colliding with them? The point is I ride very carefully, but I cannot control if someone like this collides into me. This is the bike path I use, and these are the types of people I see on the path:

Apparently if you are a new user, you are not allowed to post links until you have made 10 posts - so please go to ****** cycling and search for the same title as this to see the video link. It would also be appreciated if you could post the links here.

I googled cyclist/cyclist collision and stumbled upon this youtube channel.

Apparently if you are a new user, you are not allowed to post links until you have made 10 posts - so please go to ****** cycling and search for the same title as this to see the video link. It would also be appreciated if you could post the links here.

Please have a look at the 7:00 and 8:55 markers.

I didn't know you could get this injured colliding into a cyclist. I have a family to support and cannot afford injury. They rely on me. I am also an avid runner and tennis player, so giving up cycling would not affect me too much. Please share your thoughts.
If you ride while focusing on everything that could happen to you, you likely won't get much in the way of enjoyment out of it. I've ridden many shared paths, and by far the biggest danger is the clueless tuned-out pedestrian who's looking at a screen in their hands with earbuds in their ears. Unleashed dogs are in a distant second place.
Likes For MilhouseJ:
Old 04-29-24, 09:43 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
I don't blame you for being concerned. I don't ride a lot of miles on MUP's, but I would say that mile for mile I have at least as many close calls on them as on the road. As mentioned above, it's not just other cyclists. I have almost been clotheslined by dog leashes, walkers/runners suddenly changing directions, and vehicles exiting driveways in front of me.

To avoid a serious accident as much as possible:

Make yourself visible with bright clothing
Make noise with a bell, horn, or voice
Anticipate dangers and be prepared to evade
Slow down when approaching crowds or possible dangers
Ride predictably so that others don't have to guess
Analyze every situation on its own merit

Old 04-29-24, 09:51 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,968 Times in 948 Posts
The OP can also consider riding in commercial free zones in suburbia. Less traffic and no trucks over 3 tons.
This is my preference over SoCal MUPS.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-29-24, 10:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4760 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,008 Posts
Hello everyone,

careless lyrca lance armstrong types riding in tandem, e-bikes, dirtbikes, electric unicycles, and scooters that just rip it along the trail.
For all of your mentioned modes of transport, they wear lycra up north?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-29-24, 10:50 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 460 Posts
There's no difference between e-bikes, e-scooters, e-mopeds, e-whatevers. It doesn't matter if it has a hand throttle, a pedal sensor, or any other type of power control.

Any machine that allows a noob to move faster than their natural capability is a recipe for getting that noob into trouble, often at the expense of someone else who gets taken out simultaneously.

When a real cyclist is bombing along at a high rate of speed, I know they have years of riding experience because they had to work up to that fitness. When an e-noob is bombing along, I know they just bought the thing yesterday. It's not hard to figure out which one is a greater danger.

I'm not saying every e-biker out there is a noob. I'm sure plenty of you are experienced riders. I'm talking about the average. You can tell in an instant when someone is an experienced riders vs a casual, just from the way they handle their bike.

With regards to the OP of this thread: sorry to say this but it sounds like cycling isn't very suitable for your personality.

Last edited by Yan; 04-29-24 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-29-24, 11:13 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why were you stalking that woman?
she looked dangerous - so I transformed into spy mode
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-29-24, 11:38 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,660 Times in 963 Posts
Fishing.. Around here the paths follow canals a lot. Some people seem to think it's OK to take up the whole path while fishing.
Old 04-29-24, 12:22 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Liked 1,518 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
A class 1 and class 3 e-bike is a regulated bicycle with pedal assist only, it does not go above 28mph and if you are going above that with "boosted" motors that is not legal to just do and if you are riding a MOPED which means it has a throttle then you generally aren't allowed on most trails unless they are for motorized vehicles which would probably not be a place for cyclists.
A. 28 mph is dangerously fast for someone who is inattentive and/or lacks bike handling skills.
B. You are assuming that trail access is actually enforced, which is not the case in my area.

Super73 is the most popular e-bike I have seen in my area, with its headquarter in my city. There are multiple models which have a readily accessible "off-road mode" wherein throttle power is unlimited. It website advertises 28 mph+.

SUPER73-S Blackout SE | The S Adventure (But in Black)
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-29-24, 02:16 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
A. 28 mph is dangerously fast for someone who is inattentive and/or lacks bike handling skills.
B. You are assuming that trail access is actually enforced, which is not the case in my area.

Super73 is the most popular e-bike I have seen in my area, with its headquarter in my city. There are multiple models which have a readily accessible "off-road mode" wherein throttle power is unlimited. It website advertises 28 mph+.

SUPER73-S Blackout SE | The S Adventure (But in Black)
A couple of years ago a guy was riding a Harley on a very popular MUP in my area. He had a young child sitting between his legs. I routinely see electric everythings, including motorcycles, on restricted trails. Even seen bikes with gas motors. Definitely little or no enforcement in my neck of the woods.

And the point about speed and skills is what I was getting at above. You shouldn’t let a novice driver behind the wheel of a top end Porsche. What could possibly go wrong? 😂
Old 04-29-24, 02:21 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by NVFlinch
Let all present judge ye by thouest words...
P&R is down the hall on the right.
Old 04-29-24, 03:01 PM
MilhouseJ

Bikes: Probably too many...

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
There's no difference between e-bikes, e-scooters, e-mopeds, e-whatevers. It doesn't matter if it has a hand throttle, a pedal sensor, or any other type of power control.

Any machine that allows a noob to move faster than their natural capability is a recipe for getting that noob into trouble, often at the expense of someone else who gets taken out simultaneously.

When a real cyclist is bombing along at a high rate of speed, I know they have years of riding experience because they had to work up to that fitness. When an e-noob is bombing along, I know they just bought the thing yesterday. It's not hard to figure out which one is a greater danger.

I'm not saying every e-biker out there is a noob. I'm sure plenty of you are experienced riders. I'm talking about the average. You can tell in an instant when someone is an experienced riders vs a casual, just from the way they handle their bike.

With regards to the OP of this thread: sorry to say this but it sounds like cycling isn't very suitable for your personality.
Yeah, it isn't worth thinking about all of the ways we could be injured or turned into chunky salsa/people-lasagna, it just ruins the fun. Yes, a healthy dose of "I understand that this could kill me" is reasonable, but it shouldn't become a crippling fear.
Likes For MilhouseJ:
Old 04-29-24, 03:28 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 103 Posts
I am fortunate to have some great rural roads to ride. Occasionally when riding a MUP, I have the same experience that you described. But as mentioned above, time your start to avoid the heavy traffic. Also, the further out you progress the less traffic you should experience.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 04-29-24, 04:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4847 Post(s)
Liked 3,980 Times in 2,584 Posts
Another possibility - see if there is a cycling club nearby that has rides for beginners. If they do, you will almost certainly be riding on roads, but on roads and in a group of experienced riders (or led by one or more) is very, very safe.

Edit: go to one or more bikes shops and ask about such clubs.
Old 04-29-24, 04:15 PM
scared_cyclist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Moderator - I have less than 10 posts. Sorry, but I am adding more messages to get to 10 so I can post the video links in my original message.

Can you please allow my video links to be shown in the first message?
Old 04-29-24, 04:42 PM
indyfabz

Moderator - I have less than 10 posts. Sorry, but I am adding more messages to get to 10 so I can post the video links in my original message.

Can you please allow my video links to be shown in the first message?
Pro tip: Read the forum rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.