Search
Notices
Northeast Rides and Events Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Rhode Island | Vermont

Ride to Montauk 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 07:15 PM
lambrettaDL

Bikes: 2009 GT GTR Series 4, Fixed gear commuter, 1994 Trek 930, 1974 Peugeot Nouveau Folding Shopper Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride to Montauk 2012

Wondering if anyone else is riding on June 16.

This will be my first year riding and I will be driving down from MA a couple days before and enjoying NYC.

Suppose to be a very flat ride The options are 30 miles • 70 miles • 100 miles • 145 miles

If you want more information check out https://www.ridetomontauk.com/Ride_to...Home_Page.html
Old 03-04-12, 08:02 AM
OrangeRoubaix

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2011 Motobecane LeChampion Ti Heat, 2011 Windsor Clockwork SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never ridden this one, but it intrigues me. The one thing I'm trying to figure out is how to get home. Supposedly they offer transportation back to the starting points. But the applicable page on the event website seems to be non-functional.
Old 03-05-12, 04:17 AM
lambrettaDL

Bikes: 2009 GT GTR Series 4, Fixed gear commuter, 1994 Trek 930, 1974 Peugeot Nouveau Folding Shopper Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes they do offer transportation.

https://www.ridetomontauk.com/Ride_to...ting_Home.html
Old 03-09-12, 08:04 AM
cks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it last year. Very flat . They had a problem with one of their trucks and did NOT have water on one of their stops. If you also go on a leisurely pace gawking at the estates along the water or take a nap, they ran out of beer and ice cream at the end. The line for food at the end was also something like 45 minutes. That being said, I may try them again, but they are not the only ones organizing this ride. 5BBC has one in May.

The scenery and a peek into how the top .000001% live, however, is worth it.
Old 03-09-12, 01:29 PM
Kneecop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode this last year and my experience seems to vastly differ from others that I've read about it. This was my first century, and as far as they go it's a very good one to start with because it's so flat. Very very flat just fyi. In one spot, the directions took us through a very flooded area but don't know how they could have avoided that one. I did NOT ride this ride as a very easy ride (like most), rather I went very hard and didn't spend much time at the stops. As a result, I was one of the first to finish which meant that there were no lines for beer, showers, massage or food. When I got there, the place was empty. 3 hours later the lot was so jammed packed it was kind of crazy. I still had no problem getting beer or food though, even when really packed. From what I understand they are getting more beer trucks to avoid this problem, and a much bigger space for this year.

I opted to stay the weekend in Montauk to avoid the drive back. Though I have no idea how it worked out in reality, I can imagine that using them to take your bike back would be a nightmare. There were lots and lots of people and after 100 miles it seemed like the last thing I'd want to do.

All in all, the ride was fun, I met a bunch of really cool people, it was well stocked at the rest stops (though again, I was towards the front of the group). The pie looked awesome, though I don't know how people can eat a pound of pie and get back on the bike. I got "lost" once, but that was because I wasn't paying attention - otherwise, everything was marked well (at least for me).

It's a lot of money, but for my first century I definitely think it was worth it. May do the north fork ride this year - starts and stops in the same place...
Old 03-09-12, 09:11 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cks
Did it last year. Very flat . They had a problem with one of their trucks and did NOT have water on one of their stops. If you also go on a leisurely pace gawking at the estates along the water or take a nap, they ran out of beer and ice cream at the end. The line for food at the end was also something like 45 minutes. That being said, I may try them again, but they are not the only ones organizing this ride. 5BBC has one in May.

The scenery and a peek into how the top .000001% live, however, is worth it.
Although its a spin-off of the 5 Boro Bike Club's Montauk Century it seems the 5BBC has changed their route for 2012. According to their website they're offering a loop that starts and ends in Hampton Bays. While the 100 mile route of the 5BBC ride passes the lighthouse Glen's Ride to Montauk may be the only Montauk ride that actually ends in Montauk... in case you were planning on spending the night.

https://5bbc.org/montauk/
Old 03-11-12, 11:25 AM
Shinjukan
Enthusiast

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Sportif One.0, 2011 Cannondale Synapse 6

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Any info on how much is the registration to the one sponsored by the 5BBC? The one scheduled for June by Ride To Montauk has a minimum of $92 and up according to its website.

Last edited by Shinjukan; 03-11-12 at 11:26 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-11-12, 12:02 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinjukan
Any info on how much is the registration to the one sponsored by the 5BBC? The one scheduled for June by Ride To Montauk has a minimum of $92 and up according to its website.
A friend of mine convinced me to sign up for the 2012 5BBC Montauk Century, this will
be my 1st century ride. Looks like last year's fee was $110 + $25 for return transport:

https://www.5bbc.org/montauk/2011/faq.shtml#cost
Old 03-12-12, 06:59 AM
fjohnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
A friend of mine convinced me to sign up for the 2012 5BBC Montauk Century, this will
be my 1st century ride. Looks like last year's fee was $110 + $25 for return transport:

https://www.5bbc.org/montauk/2011/faq.shtml#cost
That link was for the 2011 5BBC ride. The date for the 2012 is May 20th. Here is the link
https://www.5bbc.org/montauk/
Old 03-12-12, 07:11 AM
fjohnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did this ride for the past two years. Never did the 5BBC ride. The ride is very flat and usually Glenn, the organizer, does a good job stocking his rest area. The water problem was handled well and I was able to get a refill before I left the rest area. The finish area is crazy. Long lines for the showers, food, etc, The first year I took the bus back to Babylon and had them transport my bike. It was 10 PM before I got my bike. Last year I just had my wife pick me up and we went for dinner. Just was not worth the wait after a long day of riding. I will probably do the ride again this year but if I am back in shape (Recovering from knee and elbow surgery) by May 20th I will give the 5BBC ride a shot instead. The ride is very scenic and you pass through some great little towns with plenty of places to stop. My favorite ride is the North Fork Century in August. Takes place on the oposite Fork and is a very enjoyable ride. Since it is a round trip ride it avoids the whole bike transportation issue and the finish line never really gets crowded since most riders return, eat and leave. Unlike the one way Montauk Century they do not have to wait for a train or a bus to take them to their cars so the crowds never form.
Old 03-12-12, 10:20 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually the Northfork Century does have transportation from NYC. The year I did this we loaded our bikes and boarded busses at Penn Station around 5am. The end wasn't too crowded - rained that day - but Glen did run out of veggie burgers and really didn't have a rain plan in place. It was some time before they sent out vans and maybe a bus to pick up drenched riders. No tents or other shelter at rest stops. Even so, the showers were great since it was hosted in a high school with real facilities. All of us going back to Manhattan had out bikes loaded. I think we were back in the City by 9 or 10 pm.
Old 03-12-12, 11:14 PM
lambrettaDL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will be my first year riding as I am coming up from MA. I plan on getting to the end as fast as possible (that does not equal fast) and will be getting transported back to the city and pick up my bike. Need to drive back to MA the same night as I want to spend fathers day with my dad and my boys.
Old 03-13-12, 03:21 PM
Shinjukan
Enthusiast

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Sportif One.0, 2011 Cannondale Synapse 6

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lambrettaDL
This will be my first year riding as I am coming up from MA. I plan on getting to the end as fast as possible (that does not equal fast) and will be getting transported back to the city and pick up my bike. Need to drive back to MA the same night as I want to spend fathers day with my dad and my boys.
Not to throw a wrench on your nice plan, but be reminded to always carry "Plan B or C" in case things don't pan out for you on ride day. As some have already mentioned, they didn't reach their starting point until 9 or 10pm. Better yet why don't you, your Dad and your boys spend Father's Day in Manhattan instead? Book a hotel for them while you go for the ride. This way, your full attention will be on the ride itself and not how to get out of the city as early as possible.
Old 03-14-12, 05:02 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinjukan
Not to throw a wrench on your nice plan, but be reminded to always carry "Plan B or C" in case things don't pan out for you on ride day. As some have already mentioned, they didn't reach their starting point until 9 or 10pm. Better yet why don't you, your Dad and your boys spend Father's Day in Manhattan instead? Book a hotel for them while you go for the ride. This way, your full attention will be on the ride itself and not how to get out of the city as early as possible.
+1 on that. Even if you arrive back in the City by 9 or 10 pm it still takes time to retrieve your bike. A year or two ago there were problems with trucks breaking down. If memory serves some riders couldn't retrieve their bikes till the wee hours or the following day. Even if everything goes as planned returning to MA after doing a century will be exhausting. Each time I did one of these rides I fell asleep on the way back. Spending the night in the City and driving back early the next morning is probably a much safer choice.
Old 04-10-12, 09:15 AM
samthebrand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all. Thanks for the insight. But a question: This will be my first century ride (and my buddy's). But why do it as part of this organized event? Why not ride it ourselves... just the road and the adventure ahead (no flocks of riders). Just curious. Seems like going ourselves might be a more meaningful experience, but maybe I'm missing something here. Thanks!
Old 04-11-12, 11:03 AM
cks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"samthebrand

Hey all. Thanks for the insight. But a question: This will be my first century ride (and my buddy's). But why do it as part of this organized event? Why not ride it ourselves... just the road and the adventure ahead (no flocks of riders). Just curious. Seems like going ourselves might be a more meaningful experience, but maybe I'm missing something here. Thanks! "

Dude, once you get to Montauck after riding a 100 miles (or 140 if you start from manhattan), how you getting back?

More seriously, if you know the Hamptons very well, you probably could ride the highlights on your own. I personally don't have the drive to do these things on my own if I didn't sign up for an organized ride- too lazy.

Besides, Glen does have the best website for this ride and should be rewarded although I'm still mad at him for not having water for me at one of the rest stops. BTW, this is a GREAT choice for a first century for you and your buddy.

Last edited by cks; 04-11-12 at 11:07 AM. Reason: i'm computer illiterate and can't work this quote thing
Old 04-14-12, 12:36 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samthebrand
Hey all. Thanks for the insight. But a question: This will be my first century ride (and my buddy's). But why do it as part of this organized event? Why not ride it ourselves... just the road and the adventure ahead (no flocks of riders). Just curious. Seems like going ourselves might be a more meaningful experience, but maybe I'm missing something here. Thanks!
The ride is totally do-able on your own. Last time when I did the 100 mile route, with 5BBC, everyone flatted on Dune Road. This leg of the route is occasionally underwater and always sprinkled with shells. It was a pleasure to have someone fix the flat while I relaxed and had a bite to eat. The food is pretty good and you don't have to search around for a bite to eat or find a place to pee. If you bonk there's a SAG van to take you to the next rest stop or all the way to the end.

Most people would think of riding to Montauk via Montauk Highway. Glen's and the old 5BBC route is much more scenic. Of course if you wanted to do it self-supported you could always find an old cue sheet on the web.

LIRR does allow a limited number of bikes on the train and sometimes run a special BikeTrain that accommodates more bikes. Check their schedule for times and fare. You'll also need an MTA Bike Permit.

Hamptons Jitney allows bikes in the cargo bay but has an extra fee for bikes.

Last edited by Stacy; 04-14-12 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-16-12, 07:32 PM
fjohnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would definetly recomend the Ride. You may be thinking that all the riders begin at the same time but that is not the way it works. You park your car in Babylon, check in around 7 AM. They give you a cue sheet and 3 wrist bands: 1 for your wrist, 1 for your Bike and 1 for your optional small bag with a change of clothes. You leave the bag with them and it will be waiting for you at the finish line in Montauk. The wristband for you and the bike serve as ID when you get to the rest areas. You leave whenever you are ready and follow the cue sheet. Even though the ride draws about 1500 riders you will be very spread out along the route. The first few miles you will pass riders and riders will pass you as they spread out at their own pace. Sometimes you will go miles and not see other riders. It is worth every penney to have the rest stops waiting for you about every 25 miles and to have the showers at the finish line with your personal belongings waiting for you there. It is also nice to know that there is support vehicles that you can call if you breakdown or just need a ride to the next rest stop. Glenn also picks a great route that is very scenic with well placed rest stops. I will be doing the ride for the third time this year and always look forward to this and the North Fork Century. The only downside with this is that it is a ONE WAY ride and you have to rely on transportation to get you and your bike back to your car in Babylon. After the first yearand a long wait in Babylon for my bike I had my wife pick me up at the Finish line. Not really into hanging out a few hours after a 7 hour ride. A quick beer and some food and I am ready to go home!!
Old 04-16-12, 07:37 PM
fjohnj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
LIRR does allow a limited number of bikes on the train and sometimes run a special BikeTrain that accommodates more bikes. Check their schedule for times and fare. You'll also need an MTA Bike Permit..
I recommend you check with the MTA. I think that on that weekend they do NOT permit bikes on the LIRR. They are afraid that too many bikes will show up and they do not permit bikes on that weekend. There should be some information on Glenn's website about that.
Old 04-17-12, 02:33 AM
omiey07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, looking forward to be part of one of the awesomest journeys. .
Old 04-17-12, 09:57 AM
patoot

Bikes: 2001 Serotta Ti Concours, 1972 Zeus Criterium, Surly Steamroller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those of you staying at a hotel in Manhattan - be sure to check with your hotel regarding bike storage. Many of them do not allow bikes to be brought up to the rooms and have limited space for storage. Fast Park at 38th and 9th does offer secure, overnight bike parking for $20 - and is a 10 min walk from Penn Station.

Other bike parking facilities can be found here: https://www.transalt.org/resources/garages#m
Old 04-21-12, 08:15 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patoot
For those of you staying at a hotel in Manhattan - be sure to check with your hotel regarding bike storage. Many of them do not allow bikes to be brought up to the rooms and have limited space for storage. Fast Park at 38th and 9th does offer secure, overnight bike parking for $20 - and is a 10 min walk from Penn Station.

Other bike parking facilities can be found here: https://www.transalt.org/resources/garages#m
I think that list may be a bit out of date. At this point all parking lots and garages in the City. Some charge as little as $1 or $2 a day. Others charge more for bikes than they do for cars.
Old 04-23-12, 03:33 PM
BridgeNotTunnel
TortoiseNotHare

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 Hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was able to get a free pass for this ride.

It will be my first century.

I will likely get a free pass to the Northfork Ride as well.

New types of content rolling out on my blog in the coming weeks.

Expo, Rides/Tours/Events, Workshops, Interviews.