Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Frame repair/sell question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18, 08:01 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I have a question regarding my 2016 Wilier Cento1 SR UHC Team bike.
The frame sustained a tiny crack in the right rear chain-stay (Wilier won't replace it). I have a new frame I'm transferring all of the components to. So, shortly all that'll be left is the frame and seat/seatpost and the Kogel Bottom Bracket.
I don't have any need to keep this frame around and re-built it to another bike, so I was considering selling it.. So, what would you all do?

1. Sell "as-is" and ensure the buyer knows the frame needs a small repair? See what I can get for it? if anything?
2. Get it repaired professionally and then sell it. I'm told that to repair and repaint it so it looks original from the factory, I'm looking at $500. I don't have a problem with that.. but I don't want to sink $500 into it and sell it for $500. The time and effort into getting it to/from the repair place will just not make it worthwhile.
I thought about a 3rd option to get the entire bike repainted in the Wilier Ramato paint scheme and then selling it or rebuilding it.. but, I really don't have the room for another bike nor the need for it.
I'd hate to just toss it away and say "it's got a small crack, it's useless".. So, I'd like to get something for it. After all, that's a good $3500 frame brand new. Granted, it's got wear and tear on it and it's not perfect. But.. just like to get something.. for it.
So, I figured I'd ask what you all would do.
Old 10-29-18, 08:16 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Sell it as a damaged frame.
Old 10-29-18, 08:24 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What, exactly, does "a tiny crack in the right rear chain-stay" mean?

Without further information we have to believe that a crack is a crack and the frame is either 1) in need of repair or, 2) garbage.

Whether it is repaired or not, there needs to be full disclosure to the buyer that the frame is or was cracked.
Old 10-29-18, 10:13 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Some of us don't care so much about a perfect paint job

& would be happy to repair & ride the frame at an attractive price.

There was a high end frame listed on Craigslist recently- practically new with major damage to top tube-

don't remember the asking price, but not a give-away.

Better to sell it as damaged than repaired IMO, as a buyer might doubt the repair but

one who is comfortable repairing or having repaired can see both the before and the after.
Old 10-29-18, 10:32 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Good info so far, folks. Thank you.

FYI, I would never sell a damaged frame without disclosing and the details. Never even considered it.

The deatils that I can see is that it's a tiny chip in the paint and what appears to be a delamination on said Chip. It failed my tap test.. and there's some paint cracking above it, but with the way it looks, it's really hard to tell how bad it is. Other than what you can see in the tiny paint chip.. And I'm no carbon expert..
What i can say about it is that I put the bike in the trainer and rode a good 75 miles and there was no visible change in the damage at all.
It's sounding so far like the way to go is let the buyer repair it how they feel comfortable. I didn't really want to get the repair done myself.. but I was worried that it'd be impossible to sell a damaged frame. But, since that may not be the case, I'm going to lean towards the route. I'll take as many pictures as possible and disclose what I know if I do.
it'sa kick-ass bike. If I had room I'd keep it.
Old 10-29-18, 10:37 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
If it were me, I'd fix it because I am sentimental like that. Then I'd throw on the cheapest/no name/used components and put it on a trainer in the garage. Still gets plenty of use, but low/no risk.

At least you recover some value out of it.
Old 10-29-18, 11:11 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
If selling, DO NOT REPAIR FIRST.

Repair is a major expense that you will not recoup the cost from . Perhaps not even cover the cost. Also less liability to you for a bad repair job.

I like to see frames and forks sold together, but some suggest separating good from broken.

as me mentioned, good pictures, description, etc. Ebay is good.
Old 10-29-18, 01:56 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Repair it and then ship it with full Campy Record to a 3rd world African village for a young man to enjoy.
Be sure to ship it with platform pedals because it likely will be ridden barefoot.

Nothing does the heart more good than paying it forward. You had your fun with it. Move on.
Old 10-29-18, 04:00 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by motosonic
I have a question regarding my 2016 Wilier Cento1 SR UHC Team bike.
The frame sustained a tiny crack in the right rear chain-stay (Wilier won't replace it). I have a new frame I'm transferring all of the components to. So, shortly all that'll be left is the frame and seat/seatpost and the Kogel Bottom Bracket.
I don't have any need to keep this frame around and re-built it to another bike, so I was considering selling it.. So, what would you all do?

1. Sell "as-is" and ensure the buyer knows the frame needs a small repair? See what I can get for it? if anything?
2. Get it repaired professionally and then sell it. I'm told that to repair and repaint it so it looks original from the factory, I'm looking at $500. I don't have a problem with that.. but I don't want to sink $500 into it and sell it for $500. The time and effort into getting it to/from the repair place will just not make it worthwhile.
I thought about a 3rd option to get the entire bike repainted in the Wilier Ramato paint scheme and then selling it or rebuilding it.. but, I really don't have the room for another bike nor the need for it.
I'd hate to just toss it away and say "it's got a small crack, it's useless".. So, I'd like to get something for it. After all, that's a good $3500 frame brand new. Granted, it's got wear and tear on it and it's not perfect. But.. just like to get something.. for it.
So, I figured I'd ask what you all would do.
It is unlikely that you can get more than $100 for a repaired carbon fiber frame and less without repairs. I an led to understand that they can be repaired to be as strong as new. But why would you do that instead of getting a new frame?
Old 10-29-18, 04:36 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
It is unlikely that you can get more than $100 for a repaired carbon fiber frame and less without repairs. I an led to understand that they can be repaired to be as strong as new. But why would you do that instead of getting a new frame?
Would you do that to old yeller? Cold.
Old 10-30-18, 08:57 AM
motosonic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting adds here. I think what I'm going to do is attempt to sell it damaged and see if I can get a reasonable amount for it. If It won't sell.. I'll repair it, toss 105 components on it and make it a permanent trainer bike. I don't really have the room, but the thought of not putting my good bike on the trainer. Thanks for the suggestion base2