Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Im sure you guys get sick of these types of posts...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-03, 06:26 PM
Legal_Dealer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport (RIP) - 66cm Cannondale CAAD5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So my LBS has kind of narrowed down my bike selection to a 63cm 2003 cannondale R400 and a 61cm 2002 LeMond Tourmalet.

I have ridden both, I like both, I know they are 2 completely different bikes, They both seem pretty solid bikes for a beginning road guy such as myself. I guess what Im getting at is that I was looking for some input on anyone who owns or has owned either of these bikes, maybe some sort of testamonial... The better informed I am, the easier the decision, right?

thanks-

Pete
Old 06-21-03, 06:42 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I haven't ridden the R400 but I have ridden the Tourmalet. If it were me, and assuming both fit equally well, I would lean towards the Tourmalet for the following reasons:

[1] 853 double-butted steel frame. I just like the ride of a steel frame over Al in general and the Tourmalet seems to ride like a classic steel roadbike.

[2] Shimano Tiagra is a step up from Sora. Tiagra is also 9sp whereas Sora is only 8sp. I especially dislike Sora brifters because I'm unable to shift from the drops.
Old 06-21-03, 07:19 PM
shrimpx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a pure matter of what fits you best. as far as my personal opinion, i wouldn't get a bike that has anything less that shimano 105, and i think lemonds ride much better than cannondales. besides, cannondales are the ugliest bikes i know. i wouldn't be seen on one.

just my personal 2 cents.
Old 06-21-03, 08:26 PM
Rich Clark
A Heart Needs a Home

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If fit, comfort, and performance were not an issue (and I don't understand how it couldn't be, given how different these two bikes are from each other) I would take the 853 bike with Tiagra/105 over the aluminum bike with sora without hesitation.

The Lemond frame is worthy of upgrading, and by starting with 9-speed parts, even if they're Tiagra, you can upgrade a part at a time as you see fit.

But I have a hard time thinking of two more dissimilar design approaches to road geometry than these two frames. One of them has to be telling you it's more suitable for your body and the way you ride.

RichC
Old 06-21-03, 08:45 PM
Legal_Dealer

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport (RIP) - 66cm Cannondale CAAD5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies! It is tough to say which one feels right, and after test riding, I'm leaning towards cannondale, but I think I should try the lemond again.

Im a pretty big guy at 6'8'' 215 - 220lbs... The cannondale felt bigger, more suited to me to me, but the LBS guys said the lemond fit me better.

I considered jumping to the C'dale r600, but that model is a little price prohibitave for a college student such as myself, though I think it is a pretty solid bike for the price.

Thanks for the input!

--Pete
Old 06-21-03, 09:34 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Lemond geometry is known for guys with longer torsos and shorter legs.
Old 06-23-03, 10:02 AM
Xavier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy the one you feel more comfortable on.

If you are going to get into the sport more serious then look at the material of both bikes (frames) and decide.
Old 06-23-03, 10:33 AM
heldveld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At your height and weight I think the Cannondale would be a better choice. I think its a bit bigger than the Lemond. I am 6'6" and 200+ so pretty similar in body style. I just switched from steel to alu and LOVE it. Lighter, stiffer no difference in confort. With a large frame there's more flex and shock absorbtion.
Old 06-23-03, 02:29 PM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you were wanting to be a roadie (not a commuter or someone taking luggage) and you were a friend of mine, I would chain myself to the 8-spd cassette bike so there was no way you could get it out of the store. I'm having to deal with the 8-spd set-up right now and it is a horrible ordeal. Can't upgrade anything unless you upgrade the whole thing.

"Hey, I think I'd like to try that new crankset."

"Great, that'll be $200 for the crank and $800 for all the other parts needed to put it on your bike so that it will work...would you like to use a credit card for that, sir?"

If you like the Cannondale, go up a step and get the 9-spd group. Better yet, find a bike with Campy!