Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which pump to use? Short or long?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 05:59 AM
Jakub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have kind of odd question....

I am considering buying a new portable pump for my road bike.
There are two possibilities I consider:

a short pump - very light which will be mounted under wather bottle cage, or
a long one - which will be placed in the frame - head tube/seat tube

Which one would you recommend
short - lighter, but longer time to pump, bigger wind resistance (I probably won't be able to feel it)
long - heavier, shorter time to pump, lower wind resistance

I saw some pictures on which guys like aitor gonzales or hincape (spelling?) were using a long pump attached to frame

So what is your preferred choice?
Old 06-25-03, 06:42 AM
FOG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the small schwinn pumps at nashbar.com because they were on clearance for $5 less 20%. It turns out they are very light, work well, and have a handy mounting bracket that lets you mount them alongside your water bottle.
Old 06-25-03, 07:42 AM
MI_rider
Go Yankees

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Trek 2300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it also depends on your tires too. I had a pump I used for my commuter/touring bike that I quickly found out was not suitable for my new road bike. It had good volume and pumped the 700c/32 tires of my commuter up quickly but I could not get the pressure in my 700/23 tires up to 120 psi.

On my road bike I now use a small pump with a small diameter barrel that attaches under the water bottle cage.
Old 06-25-03, 07:45 AM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are those samll pumps capable of pumping your tire up to 100-110psi?

I have a small pump on my bike(w/ 700x23C).. I have never used the pump since, no flats yet...
Old 06-25-03, 07:56 AM
FOG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by dexmax
Yes
Old 06-25-03, 08:03 AM
MI_rider
Go Yankees

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Trek 2300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by dexmax
Yeah they can get the pressure up that high but they do take forever. But it does depend on the pump you have. It needs to have a pretty small diameter to get the high pressures. Unfortunatley that also translates into small volume so it takes a long time.
Old 06-25-03, 08:17 AM
Jakub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got a good point with the diameter of the pump - mine has quite small, is easy to pump but it does take ages.

For my MTB I use SKS Airboy alu - very good pump. I tried it for my road bike - it can pump up to 8 bars which is somewhere close to 110-120 psi
It is also light at 110gr.

It seems like most of you use short pumps - so probably I will, too.

https://www.sks-germany.com/final2001...r_airboy_e.htm

If you wanna see the pump - above there is web address - it is a german product
Old 06-25-03, 09:51 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I have a small pump which I carry most of the time as a get-me-home measure, a long frame pump (Zefal HPX) which I take when touring and a track pump for use at home.
Old 06-25-03, 10:09 AM
chuychanga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does nobody here use CO2?

I carry several cartidges, but one is always enough to fill my 26 X 1.25 and it takes about three seconds. As for checking the pressure, I use the highly calibrated five-fingered squeeze method to make sure it's hard enough to get me home. Then at home I pull out the pump with the gauge to tweak it if necessary.
Old 06-25-03, 10:26 AM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeppers. CO2 for me, too.
Old 06-25-03, 06:57 PM
chuychanga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey multisport,

I notice you're in Lewisville. Where do you ride around here? I just moved to Dallas not long ago and haven't found many good routes except neighborhoods and White Rock Lake. I rode up to Lake Lewisville, but nearly got killed on the road near Little Elm (I think). Any good country roads around here with less traffic or more shoulder?

Back to the topic...
I was in REI today and their product information cards showed that most of the frame pumps and mini pumps were capable of inflating to 110-120 psi. But it didn't say how many hundreds of strokes that would take.
Old 06-25-03, 08:02 PM
Stinger9oh

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Get a good frame pump like the Zefal hpX. You can get the tire up to 110-120 psi pretty fast without too much effort. A small pump will be able to get you home--that's why I bought a frame pump. I was fed up with having long rides marred by a puncture early in the ride and not being able to get the pressure up to a satisfactory level for the rest of the ride. I think that if you are serious about riding and fixing flats fast and effectively, you should have a frame pump. Have your LBS set you up with a frame pump under the top tube. BTW, if you get the Zefal hpX, be sure to keep it well oiled.

Rich

Old 06-25-03, 10:44 PM
Chuvak
Advertise here!

Bikes: 2002 Allez A1xx SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CO2 all the way! I don't like to put anything on my frame, especially an ugly pump. Being very small, it fits in my seat bag with all the other necessities
Old 06-25-03, 10:53 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Another vote for the Zefal HPX for a roadie -- the Rolls Royce of tyre pumps. The narrow bore enables high road-bike pressures to be achieved. An MTB tyre, with the need for lower pressure, needs a larger diameter bore that shifts air in volume.

In my experience, the extra diameter in the bore will make the tyre much harder to pump up after about 50psi. When it comes to this point, I have the wheel off and press the end of the tyre pump against a tree, post or something solid to avoid straining fingers, valve and spokes.

R
Old 06-25-03, 10:55 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Chuvak,

Relying on CO2 will see you regretting not having some sort of manual pump. One day. Mark the words of those who have experienced emptying of a cartridge and not having a pump.
Old 06-25-03, 10:55 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Zefal hpX is definitely the best frame pump out there. A spare tube, a patch kit, and an hpX pump and you'll never have to worry about getting stuck in a remote area. If you're going to take pictures of the bike or are racing, go ahead, take off the seat bag and pump. Trust me, no one's going to notice your frame pump tucked underneath the top tube.
Old 06-25-03, 11:11 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
My vote goes to CO2s.......I always carry 2 spare cartridges just in case. Never had a close call where I wish I had a pump.
Old 06-25-03, 11:26 PM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by SteveE
The Zefal hpX is definitely the best frame pump out there. A spare tube, a patch kit, and an hpX pump and you'll never have to worry about getting stuck in a remote area. If you're going to take pictures of the bike or are racing, go ahead, take off the seat bag and pump. Trust me, no one's going to notice your frame pump tucked underneath the top tube.
I have a Zefal Z-flex Frame pump.. This is the one with the flexible "tip". I believe its is for MTB/Comfort bike tires.. Or am I wrong?

I use this on the hybrid. Can I use it on the roadbike as well? I pump the hybrid tires up to 60-70psi. I'm not just sure about it going up to 110psi.

Any info on this pump?
Old 06-25-03, 11:37 PM
talkdj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I "used" an Avanir small pump on the Trek and my wifes Schwinn Siera Sport. Getting to 65 lbs was very easy. When I started using my C'dale I got some CO2 and have been very happy with it. I wonder if I can use those CO2's in my whipped cream maker too?

-Wynn
Old 06-25-03, 11:44 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by George
Never had a close call where I wish I had a pump.
I've never had more than two flats on a single ride but I've also been able to stop and aid numerous cyclists who did have flats without having to worry that I wouldn't be able to repair my own flat if I had one later down the road. Also, I ride in areas that generally don't have good cell phone coverage so calling for help can be problematical.
Old 06-26-03, 03:20 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use CO2 for my roadbike. I have the SKS Airgun which is pretty small and mounts alongside my waterbottle cage. The holder can hold two cartridges (one on either side). The disadvantages to it are that it requires threaded cartridges which can be more expensive. I've never had a situation where I've run out of cartridges as I immediately head for a hardware store (gives me a new purpose to ride somewhere too) to replace the one I just used.

However, if I'm loaded up for an extended ride and am already carrying a Camelbak or something with a bit more cargo capacity, I'll throw my minipump in just because. I've yet to have to use the minipump on a road ride. I have used it for MTB'ing though but I don't carry CO2 for offroad rides.

For those weight-weenies, it can be argued that CO2 is heavier than air so you're adding additional rotational mass if you refill your tyres with CO2 instead of air at sea-level.
Old 06-26-03, 07:44 AM
~LongRider~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too have been using a Schwinn pump. It takes some effort once you get over 90 psi, but it will do it. It just adds to the workout. Everyone's arms need a little extra now and then anyway. The cool thing is the stickers pull right off. Then it looks like all the other, more expensive, pumps.
Old 06-26-03, 10:51 AM
roadbuzz
Just ride.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by SteveE
The Zefal hpX is definitely the best frame pump out there.
No way! Topeak Road Master Blaster!

Both are good pumps. Used to have a HPX 'til I bent it on a dog's head... the other reason for a long pump.
Old 06-26-03, 08:01 PM
The Terminator
Bike for life.

Bikes: KHS Alite 1000 mtb, Bianchi Celeste Campione, all Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CO2 for me too. It is lighter, less weight to carry. I went to my LBS looking for a pump. I left with the CO2 setup. Best -
Old 06-27-03, 08:08 PM
cyclefoever

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, Cannondale R600, Cannondale M600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Topeak "Road Morph" It is a short pump. Works loke a floor pump. Fold down foot rest - T handle. I have pumped up to 150 PSI in a road tire. Best pump I have ever used. They also make a "Mountain Morph". On sale at Performance for $29.95.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.