Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommended wheelset? & review of campy veloce?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-03, 07:17 PM
phat bahsturd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, who here uses a campy veloce group on their bike? I'm strongly considering using veloce parts to build up my bianchi, instead of shimano 105s now. How do the two stack up?

Also, if i buy the group from repartocorse.com, i can get campy scirocco wheels for 200 extra. They look awesome. Opinions? Any other wheels around 200-300 that are good? thanks.
Old 06-28-03, 10:06 PM
KevinG
Little Debbie Fiend Club

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very happy with my Veloce group. It shifts as smooth and crisp as the Ultegra that was on my last road bike.
I would suggest that you test ride a bike with the Veloce group and one with the 105 group and go with the one you like are most comfortable with.

kevin
NADS #138
Braaaaaaaaap!
Go Medium Or Go HOME!!!!!
Bob Roll:
"Toour DAAAY Frantz!"
Old 06-29-03, 12:24 PM
phat bahsturd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any recommended wheelsets anyone?
Old 06-30-03, 11:00 AM
roadrage

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had Veloce and currently 105. I like the 105 much better, hands down winner for me. it just shifts smoother IMO.
Old 06-30-03, 11:34 AM
LSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scirocco wheels use the veloce based hub so I think you'd be happy with them.
Bianchi frames should be built with campy
Old 06-30-03, 01:43 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I've 2 (modern) Campy bikes. 1 is a Record/Chorus mix and the other a Mirage/Veloce mix. I've never ridden modern Shimano STI so I can't give you a direct comparison but find the Mirage/Veloce stuff shifts really well. Not as smooth as my other bike but close and not nearly as expensive. I think you'll like it fine.

Don't want to start the Shimano/Campy war again but there is something to be said for the fact that Campy supports its stuff with repair parts far longer than Shimano.

Besides the bike IS a Bianchi....
Old 06-30-03, 03:24 PM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried the two systems out? They are very different in the way they operate and how they feel. The hoods are different and your hands are going to be there most of the time so you want to make sure you are comfortable on them. The shifting is entirely different...Campy uses the thumb and Shimano the brake lever. The cable routing is different...Campy routes under the bar tape and Shimano sticks out between the bars. The way the brake calipers lock is different. These are all things you might have a preference for after riding around on them for a good 10-15 minutes each, running through the gears and taking the front wheel off, etc. Besides all that, I still take the Veloce over the 105. I'm not saying 105 is a bad group, just that I think the Veloce will last longer, might be more reliable, and is Italian...like your bike. Campy shifting takes a little longer to "break-in" than Shimano does so it might seem a touch rougher shifting at first, but in a little while it will be smooth like butter. If you can pick up the Sciracco wheels for $200 extra, I'd probably do that too. At that price it would be hard to beat.
Old 07-02-03, 03:40 PM
doonster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like my Veloce a lot. Agree with ms4l, Campag seems a bit rougher at first cf Shimano but gets smoother and smoother. I'm finding it needs very little touch up - slight adjustment for cable stretch after about 100 miles and nothing much more for 1000 miles more.

gears:
The description I got from my LBS when choosing the Campag bike was that Capag seems "clunky' compared to Shimano. I've also seen this described as more "positive". I certainly like the positive shift click I get compared to the near silence on my Shimao equipped bike - the Campag is still very smooth. I also find it makes a much more pleasing whirring noise as it goes along. Veloce levers are solid & I really like the thumb shifters. I did find the hood rubbers stretched a bit on first use and needed reseating (bit like adjusting for cable stretch).

brakes:
Both Shimano & Campag give good, positive feel. Not much to choose. Equally easy to adjust IMO. I do prefer the Campag QR at the lever, though. No doubting that you've failed to reset the brakes after replacing the wheel whereas i've had an experience of forgetting with Shimano until I hit the lever and nothing happened.
Old 07-02-03, 07:35 PM
B1105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have the extra money, go for the Campagnolo Centaur. I got my parts cheap, but the Centaur design is based on the record, the only difference is the materials and shifter design (record uses ball bearings and centaur uses bushings), but centaur is quite a bit lighter and not much more in terms of money.