Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

New to Triathlon's

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

New to Triathlon's

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-02, 03:15 PM
BustNuts37

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to Triathlon's

I'm thinking about racing (for fun only) the Carlsbad Triathlon in July..
How do you deal with the bike part?? After the swim part, do you finish where your bike is, unlock it, ride away, and lock it up somewhere when its time to run?? I've never seen a triathlon or know anyone who's done it before..

Anyone else going to this event??
Old 04-30-02, 03:26 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m helping out at the Utah Ironman triathlon in June. They need a total of 2500 volunteers! Some of these people will get your gear at both transition zones (swim / bike and bike / run). After the swim, you will go into a tent, to change (if needed). Upon exiting the tent, you will receive your bike. The same thing at the run, jump off the bike, give it to a volunteer, change into your running gear etc... You don’t need to worry about locks, the volunteers will take care of securing the bike.

For your first event, you may want to try a 1/2 triathlon, 1 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, 13 mile run. Good luck!
Old 04-30-02, 04:45 PM
BustNuts37

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the carlsbad couse is only 1K swim, 25k bike, and 5k run.. a half triathlon seems scary (most I ever ran was 13 miles and i was dead afterwards), lol

I had no idea these races were so expensive to run, looks like the entry fee is about $70... ack!

I was thinking it'd be something like $40 max, like a typical 5k run.. oh well maybe i'll still try it..
Old 04-30-02, 04:54 PM
Joe Gardner
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the entry fee for the race im working at is over $1000.00!

Its one of just a handfull of qualifing events for the Kona Hawaii Ironman.
Old 04-30-02, 05:53 PM
nebill

Bikes: '76 Schwinn Paramout (Liberty) and an '89 Paramount (ol' Blue)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I volunteered to help at a triathalon this last weekend, my first experience around such an event.
In the parking lot of the rec center, they had a long row of bike racks. Each rider parked thier bike, and then laid out thier biking and running clothes next to the bike.
After the swim, the contestant would run out, pull on thier biking clothes, and take off. When they returned, a volunteer would take thier bike, and the contestant would make whatever changes they needed, then take off on the run.
No locks were needed, as volunteers were there with the bikes and equipment at all times.
It was a very interesting event, and I really learned a lot. Who knows, if a team needs a rider next year, I just might give it a try!
Old 04-30-02, 07:18 PM
Greg_LV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out Tri Newbies Online for lots of great info on beginning triathlons.
Old 04-30-02, 08:24 PM
Captain Crunch
Mad For Marinoni !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have participated in triathlons and usually the participants have to rack their own bike which is not locked. After the swim they will take their bike off the rack making sure that they have done up their chin strap to their helmet first. If not it is an immediate disqualification. When you are done the bike portion you will re-rack your bike and take off on the run.

I have never heard of anyone losing a bike out of the transition area at a triathlon.
Old 05-01-02, 11:40 AM
kobyj

Bikes: Cannondale R600, Huffy 10-speed, and a Mongoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not done any triathlons yet. Just duathlons (run-bike-run). Everybody there (competing or watching) is there just for the sport.

Triathlons and Duathlons are not like basketball, auto racing, or any other similiar sport where thousands of people with barely any ties to the competitor attend to watch the sport. Each person watching watching a triathlon or duathlon is a family member, a close friend, or somebody else that is active in one or more of the sports. You won't have some drunk trying to steal your gear (like a drunk would know what to do with a road bike).

To add to that, the transition areas at most races are off-limits to non-competitors. Once competitors start to arrive, only the compeititors and volunteers are allowed to enter the transition areas.
Old 08-05-03, 01:07 PM
multisport4life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually tents at transition (for changing clothes) are only provided for the Ironman distance. I would assume that is the case because riding 112 miles without bike shorts would hurt, as would running 26.2 miles with bike shorts. That said, I'm sure the top participants probably all wear tri-suits throughout the event and run through transition faster then you can blink. Some wear speedos for the entire event and that is beyond me, but then I don't get paid to do it.

Speaking of paying....yeah the entry fees can be expensive. Oly triathlons are usually between $50 and $100 depending on how far in advance you register. However, I ride in bike rallies for fun so I do them often and only pay $18-25. Most people don't do a tri just for fun unless it is their first so they usually just plan on doing a certain few races in a given year. Again, this is just what I've noticed.