Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Parking car at gas station

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 10:43 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

So my commute is 30 miles. I've thought about biking to work, but the only way this will work is if I drive over this bridge on the interstate that has no room for cyclists. There's a big gas station on the other side, and I want to park my car there for the day, while I bike the rest of the way. But I don't want my car towed. Has anyone been in this situation before? Did you negotiate with the owner, and work some thing out?
Old 08-06-13, 10:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
So my commute is 30 miles. I've thought about biking to work, but the only way this will work is if I drive over this bridge on the interstate that has no room for cyclists. There's a big gas station on the other side, and I want to park my car there for the day, while I bike the rest of the way. But I don't want my car towed. Has anyone been in this situation before? Did you negotiate with the owner, and work some thing out?
Open a line of dialogue...
Old 08-06-13, 10:50 AM
Buzzatronic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say certainly talk to the owner first and get permission (written preferred).

If that doesn't work, try and scope out a public park or ball field somewhere nearby and park there. That's what I used to do when I was doing the multi-mode commute.
Old 08-06-13, 10:51 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Done that, I used a very well known truck stop/restaurant on the freeway exit and stayed parked there out of the way in the further parking spots. I think it would be fine if its a big place. But you can certainly ask to be sure.
Old 08-06-13, 06:10 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I park at a church that's pretty isolated and has been broken into several times in the past. Since I park and start my ride early (5am) I arranged a trade with the pastor: no-hassle parking for an early morning security check. I've already scared off one car full of questionable characters just by driving through the parking lot. I also spoke with the local sheriff's deputy one morning about the arrangement so he knows what's going on.