Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

2019 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

2019 - Your Touring Plans = Where Are You Going?

Old 01-09-19, 03:26 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Nothing exotic on tap but at least five or six 7-10 day tours around the US. Good friends, good weather and good scenery are all I need.

Arkansas/Louisiana in early spring
Northern Wisconsin in early June
Ohio in late June (looking forward to this because Ohio has a lot of diverse topography / scenery which I haven't ridden, a real sleeper)
Michigan in July (Organized ride where they carry our gear, feed me twice a day and powder puff my behind when asked, ha)
Pittsburgh to DC in September
and one other that is still in the works if we can squeeze it in
Old 01-14-19, 10:33 PM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Likely no where this year Wheels have been flattened by wife since I was gone summer of 2015 on tour across Canada, 6 weeks in 2016 walk across Spain on the Camino, and 6 weeks in 2018 cycle tour up the Dempster Highway to the Arctic Sea.. Maybe I can get her to go somewhere local....
Old 01-15-19, 05:57 AM
blowboat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping to get two trips in this year...and while together they may not add up to much, I am quite excited.

This spring I'm hoping to have my bike ready, and the necessary gear in hand, to do my first self supported trip...just a quick overnight to a nearby state park.

Then I'm working on plans with some friends to spend a week on the C&O...and if a few things fall in to place I may be able to add the GAP to that trip!

Everyine begins somewhere...and I'm looking forward to finally doing something I've wanted to do since college!
Old 01-16-19, 07:47 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
At this state of my life I am more of a dreamer than a tourer. It's hard to make time for dedicated touring. I'll end up doing some kind of short credit card tour somewhere. Not sure yet. I am envious of those of you who can do some real touring.
Old 02-01-19, 03:18 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Not as exotic as people touring entire countries and such, but it's hard to believe some of my first posts here I was commenting that I don't care about the 25 mile, 50 mile, century milestones just riding my 12 miles a day for exercise. My buddy's wife plans my summers and in July we're heading to Buffalo for 11 days camping around Lake Ontario, if I can get a passport in time.

Other than that, it's just a "hey, why don't we take Friday off (my bud is a coworker) and go do Pine Creek for 3 days and such.
Old 02-01-19, 01:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Other than that, it's just a "hey, why don't we take Friday off (my bud is a coworker) and go do Pine Creek for 3 days and such.
Saw a bear swim across the creek during my 2017 Erie to Philly tour.
Old 02-01-19, 03:32 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 58 Posts
Planning to bike the Natchez Trace Parkway. Begin around Nashville TN. and end up around Tupelo MS.
Old 02-02-19, 09:13 PM
Awl

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn LeTour

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
At least a shakedown in Iowa from Minneapolis in the early autumn. If the ice is mostly subsided by May a shakedown in east Wisconsin from Taylors Falls MN. I can only plan for a week at a time unfortunately.
Old 02-04-19, 09:26 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Awl
At least a shakedown in Iowa from Minneapolis in the early autumn. If the ice is mostly subsided by May a shakedown in east Wisconsin from Taylors Falls MN. I can only plan for a week at a time unfortunately.
I did a very nice solo circle tour in mid April 2016, from Mpls to Brule, WI, to Hayward, WI and then back west to home. Some very nice roads, including Hwy 23 in MN and Hwy 27 in WI. The Gandy Dancer Trail from Danbury to St Croix Falls was also nice. It would be a great route in the autumn as well.
Old 02-05-19, 08:18 PM
Awl

Bikes: Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn LeTour

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh yeah man. Been on Gandy Dancer in that part, started my 4-day from Taylors Falls to Superior, Duluth and back last year. Fell in love with cyclotouring.

Originally Posted by revcp
I did a very nice solo circle tour in mid April 2016, from Mpls to Brule, WI, to Hayward, WI and then back west to home. Some very nice roads, including Hwy 23 in MN and Hwy 27 in WI. The Gandy Dancer Trail from Danbury to St Croix Falls was also nice. It would be a great route in the autumn as well.
Old 02-06-19, 07:55 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Good spot to stop for food after you cross the bridge onto PEI
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Giving serious thought to Canadian Maritimes. Fly to Halifax, loop through Cape Breton Island, then across Prince Edward Island, and check out Bay of Fundy before return to Halifax for flight home.

If anyone knows if the campgrounds are likely to be full any time between start of June through early July, I would like to hear about it before I experience it. I do not plan to make reservations for campgrounds unless absolutely necessary. I plan to start and end at the HI Hostel in Halifax.
we did part of this a couple of years ago but didn’t make it up to Cape Breton as we ran out of time and didn’t think we were fit enough to fit the distance into our schedule. We’re aiming to do what you have planned in 2020. So looking forward to seeing some post from you on the tour!!
We went to PEI at the beginning of June. We were the first cyclists of the season to cross the bridge. It was cold (10°c) max and raining. The centennial trail sounds like a good idea but you don’t get to see anything from it so we gave up on it. We rode past the Anne of Green Gables house but weren’t able to see it due to rain and mist. Caught the ferry from Woodend to Pictou and the rode to Truro. NovelTea bookstore there even know how to make a decent coffee.
Old 02-06-19, 08:05 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Scamander

We’re currently touring the east coast of Tasmania. We had hoped to be touring the west coast but the bushfires are still burning so it’s safe where we are.
Next tour will be Italy for 6weeks starting at the beginning of May. Flying in and out of Milan and we’ll be riding Tuscany and up to the Dolomites for a few passes. Also will try to watch a couple of stages of the Giro but we haven’t worked out a route yet.
Old 02-06-19, 08:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffs
Good spot to stop for food after you cross the bridge onto PEI
we did part of this a couple of years ago but didn’t make it up to Cape Breton as we ran out of time and didn’t think we were fit enough to fit the distance into our schedule. We’re aiming to do what you have planned in 2020. So looking forward to seeing some post from you on the tour!!
We went to PEI at the beginning of June. We were the first cyclists of the season to cross the bridge. It was cold (10°c) max and raining. The centennial trail sounds like a good idea but you don’t get to see anything from it so we gave up on it. We rode past the Anne of Green Gables house but weren’t able to see it due to rain and mist. Caught the ferry from Woodend to Pictou and the rode to Truro. NovelTea bookstore there even know how to make a decent coffee.
Thanks. I will keep that restaurant in mind, but I would be leaving PEI on the bridge, taking the ferry to PEI.

Every photo of that tandem has a slightly different color. Yellow to orange to red. Are they all the same bike with just different camera settings?

I am planning on five weeks. I have mapped out a general route on my GPS with three bail out detours to shorten my route if my progress is less than planned.

Tentatively early June to early/mid-July. I usually like to start well before the tourist crowds and leave before the roads get really crowded. But my limited research tells me that the campgrounds should be open by then.

Looks like two, possibly three hills on Cabot Trail I will be walking the bike up the hills instead of pedaling. Otherwise, nothing looks too arduous.

A high of 10 degrees (C), I do not see that as a problem, but raining and 10 degrees does not sound very pleasant. It sounds a bit like some of the days I had in Iceland a few years ago.

Right now I would say that there is a 75 percent chance the trip will happen, but I keep running into logistical road blocks. My latest road block is that the hostel refuses to allow me to store my S&S backpack case while I am touring, even if I disassemble it to make it smaller. And am having problems scheduling airlines. I would say right now that there is a 25 percent chance that the trip will not happen.
Old 02-10-19, 09:58 AM
geoffs

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Thanks. I will keep that restaurant in mind, but I would be leaving PEI on the bridge, taking the ferry to PEI.

Every photo of that tandem has a slightly different color. Yellow to orange to red. Are they all the same bike with just different camera settings?

I am planning on five weeks. I have mapped out a general route on my GPS with three bail out detours to shorten my route if my progress is less than planned.

Tentatively early June to early/mid-July. I usually like to start well before the tourist crowds and leave before the roads get really crowded. But my limited research tells me that the campgrounds should be open by then.

Looks like two, possibly three hills on Cabot Trail I will be walking the bike up the hills instead of pedaling. Otherwise, nothing looks too arduous.

A high of 10 degrees (C), I do not see that as a problem, but raining and 10 degrees does not sound very pleasant. It sounds a bit like some of the days I had in Iceland a few years ago.

Right now I would say that there is a 75 percent chance the trip will happen, but I keep running into logistical road blocks. My latest road block is that the hostel refuses to allow me to store my S&S backpack case while I am touring, even if I disassemble it to make it smaller. And am having problems scheduling airlines. I would say right now that there is a 25 percent chance that the trip will not happen.
Our tandem is 14yrs old and had an update late last year. Metallic bronze respray, Sram eTap shifters and derailleurs, double chainring instead of a triple, lightbicycle rims with CK hubs.
5 weeks sounds about right. We are looking at a similar time period. It’s a long flight for us to get to Halifax. We always spend the first 2 nights in a hotel to recover from jet lag and have never had a problem leaving the bag. We also book in for a couple of nights at the end so we get a chance to look around and I have plenty of time to repackage the tandem. Our bags are currently in storage at the Airbnb place we stayed at and will be back there in a few more days.
We don’t walk up hills. We stop and admire the scenery let our heart rate recover a bit and keep riding. Going to change the current 50/34 front rings to 46/30 for our Italian trip in a few months and train like mad so I can manage the climbs.
Hope everything works out for you with the trip
Old 02-10-19, 11:33 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
The exotic world of the gravel roads around Hondo Texas which begins at my garage. I get to see cattle, rattlesnakes, feral pigs the occasional Fed Ex or UPS delivery truck and if lucky a drunk hillbilly yelling about the upcoming apocalypse. Then back to the garage to get a recovery
Old 02-10-19, 01:59 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 140 Posts
I will be doing a tour of the local hospital in search of a new knee this year:
Old 02-10-19, 07:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
- RAGBRAI for the week, as usual.
- a 3 day ride with my oldest daughter on the KATY.
- a few 2-3 day local trips.
Old 02-10-19, 07:22 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, you all have some incredible sounding plans! My goal for this year is pretty humble... I'm just returning to biking after 25 years. I'm pretty darn out of shape (but getting better). My goal: ride 35-40 miles from my house to brattleboro Vt and back. If that goes well early enough in the season, then I may get more ambitious. But I'm obsessed with the idea getting into touring.
Old 02-10-19, 08:08 PM
bgross

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Currently looking at supported/self-guided tandem tours in Central Europe.
We did a Danube cruise/tandem week several years ago and it nearly broke the bank! This will be about 1/4 to 1/3 the price and seems very doable.
Old 02-11-19, 07:54 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cobalt123
My goal: ride 35-40 miles from my house to brattleboro Vt and back.
Where is MA do you live? I was a four-year "Deerfield Boy." My 35th high school reunion was last year. Took the train to St. Albans, VT and rode to the reunion. Spent the night before the reunion at Fort Dummer State Park in Guilford, just south of Brattleboro. That would make a nice overnighter for you if you wouldn't mind the stupid steep climb to reach the park and then another steep grade between the park office and the camping area. You could pick up food for dinner at the Price Chopper on Canal St./U.S. 5. To get to school, I took VT/MA 142 to MA 10 then Turners Falls/W. Gill to Main Rd. into Turners Falls then Montague City Rd. to U.S. 5. Not a bad route on a Friday morning. Most of what traffic there was on 142 was heading towards Brattleboro. The town itself is choked with traffic during rush hour. Also, watch your stuff in town. There is a lot of drug abuse there. I needed to pick up some stuff at that big outdoor store in the center of town. No way was I was shopping there unless they let me bring my bike inside, which they did.

After the reunion I headed south to my home in Philadelphia.
Old 02-11-19, 12:36 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
This will be our first bike tour. The hubby was skeptical about any kind of tour that would require him to get on the bike every day whether he felt like it or not because you have to get to the next place. So we agreed on a 2 -day trip with one overnight along the Loire a velo in France. At first we had looked at a package that included the bike rental, hotel, breakfast, maps/GPS and luggage transport. But the price seemed awfully high when we considered what a hotel in the town they were planning to put us actually costs. And if we can't carry enough gear for one overnight with us, then what are we even doing? So we booked our own hotel, and will just rent the bikes and panniers from the shop that was putting the tour together. The route seems to be pretty well established. The package didn't include any wine tastings, meals or admission to the chateaux. So what were we paying them for? The rest of the trip will be driving around in France, so we can leave most of our luggage locked in the car and just take what we need for the overnight with us on the bikes. We're not camping so don't need much gear. And the actual bike part seems pretty tame - 36 km the first day and 38 the second. Mostly flat terrain. As long as it doesn't pour rain, I think we'll be fine.
Old 02-11-19, 05:01 PM
MontereyCutty

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Newbie Here,

I plan on cycling solo through Big Sur, CA later this spring/summer. I live fairly close to the area and have been through Big Sur MANY times by car and motorcycle. However, I plan on starting in Carmel, CA and ride to San Luis Obispo over 3 or 4 day. I then will catch Amtrak to Salinas, CA and ride from Salinas back to Monterey , CA (~15-20 miles). I will be camping along the way. This will be a good shakedown trip for me to test out my gear and hopefully learn something. If all goes well, I will plan another trip later in the summer.

I have been working on my bike setup and I think I am there.. I will be riding a Raleigh Sojourn and I have change many things on it for better climbing, a little lighter and more comfy. Gearing = Front 44/32/22 and Rear = 11/40
Thanks
Old 02-12-19, 07:16 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Where is MA do you live? I was a four-year "Deerfield Boy." My 35th high school reunion was last year. Took the train to St. Albans, VT and rode to the reunion. Spent the night before the reunion at Fort Dummer State Park in Guilford, just south of Brattleboro. That would make a nice overnighter for you if you wouldn't mind the stupid steep climb to reach the park and then another steep grade between the park office and the camping area. You could pick up food for dinner at the Price Chopper on Canal St./U.S. 5. To get to school, I took VT/MA 142 to MA 10 then Turners Falls/W. Gill to Main Rd. into Turners Falls then Montague City Rd. to U.S. 5. Not a bad route on a Friday morning. Most of what traffic there was on 142 was heading towards Brattleboro. The town itself is choked with traffic during rush hour. Also, watch your stuff in town. There is a lot of drug abuse there. I needed to pick up some stuff at that big outdoor store in the center of town. No way was I was shopping there unless they let me bring my bike inside, which they did.

After the reunion I headed south to my home in Philadelphia.
I've thought about a similar ride- only having my wife drive me up. or have her drop me north of st johnsbury Vt. But to start with I'll head over from the Gardner MA area.
Old 02-13-19, 05:32 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cobalt123
I've thought about a similar ride- only having my wife drive me up. or have her drop me north of st johnsbury Vt. But to start with I'll head over from the Gardner MA area.
Amtrak's Vermonter takes bicycles with a reservation. That's how I got up there. There is a stop in Greenfield.
Old 02-14-19, 03:27 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Touring Catalonia in May, taking 2 bicycles as I'm taking part in a vintage event as well as touring. On the tour I'll be visiting a number of World Heritage Sites including, a Roman Aqueduct, Roman Ampitheatre and a Templar castle (best preserved in the Western World).

In addition Catalonia has a good range of old railway lines converted into trails.

Starting and finishing at a friend's house in San Sadurni D'Anoia, a few people joining me on the tour (just had a chap confirm from the USA).

John.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.