Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Zwift questions and impressions

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwift questions and impressions

Old 12-17-19, 05:36 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
You're saying the same thing as me. I haven't said the fitness requirements are the same. They are similar in that they require pedaling hard on a bike and recovering quickly. They are disimilar in that there is no risk, no requirement to be adept at positioning and bike handling, no team dynamics, no cornering, etc etc. We can agree there.
I'm not really saying anything that's the same as you. They're dissimilar in that one is racing a bicycle and one is pedaling indoors in front of a tv screen.

For my response to your response... aren't we on a public discussion forum? The purpose of this place is to engage in debate publicly. In fact, the thread was originally intended to discuss one user's enjoyment and impressions of Zwift, so all the posts complaining about the gamification of cycling and whether e-cycling has any place in the universe of bike fitness are off topic, no?
Then you can scroll right past, no? Remember, you responded to my response to someone else. You initiated this massive tangent in which you keep tripping over yourself repeatedly.
Old 12-17-19, 06:21 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I'm not really saying anything that's the same as you. They're dissimilar in that one is racing a bicycle and one is pedaling indoors in front of a tv screen.

Then you can scroll right past, no? Remember, you responded to my response to someone else. You initiated this massive tangent in which you keep tripping over yourself repeatedly.
I guess me continuing a discussion and you not liking it is tripping over myself. I’ve been quite consistent, you just don’t like what I’m saying for some reason as you seem to be especially abrasive about all things Zwift, so I’ll leave it at that.
Old 12-17-19, 08:24 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
3. Try to stay attached during the hills (this is where separation happens).
Depending on your weight, descents can also be a major separation point. You can get a huge separation on a long descent and then never be able to catch the group again. Being very light sucks in this regard.
Likes For atwl77:
Old 12-17-19, 08:36 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Depending on your weight, descents can also be a major separation point. You can get a huge separation on a long descent and then never be able to catch the group again. Being very light sucks in this regard.
This is my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Old 12-17-19, 09:19 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have heard that the #doubledraft makes a difference in tactics. It allows for more of an advantage to sitting in and diminishes the effectiveness of merely riding hard at the front.
Old 12-17-19, 09:41 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
True. Especially if you have your trainer difficulty set to 100%.
Old 12-18-19, 11:21 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
It's like a SUPERMUP, without the risk of running over small children.
I have been putting it into camera 3 view and every time I slowly pass someone I get this graphics/object glitch where my viewpoint goes into the other rider's head and I see their avatars face from the backside. Really creepy.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 12-18-19, 11:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
I just bought a Peloton for my wife's Christmas present. She will be totally suprised and in shock! Is this where I get info on how to sign up for Zwift?
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-18-19, 12:29 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by seypat
I just bought a Peloton for my wife's Christmas present. She will be totally suprised and in shock! Is this where I get info on how to sign up for Zwift?
Have you told her she needs to vlog every workout for the next year or else... ?
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 12-18-19, 12:44 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I have been putting it into camera 3 view and every time I slowly pass someone I get this graphics/object glitch where my viewpoint goes into the other rider's head and I see their avatars face from the backside. Really creepy.
Yes. The worst. Someone here compared it to gross anatomy lab. My solution is to suck wheel.
Old 12-18-19, 12:58 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

If anyone wants Zwift waving etiquette guidelines, please review this thread I was reminded of from a few years back. I've been taking Zwift very seriously since 2016, apparently-

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ld-i-wave.html
Old 12-18-19, 01:13 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
What's the hot-key for ON YOUR LEFT ?
Everybody knows that the ON YOUR LEFT hotkey just causes confusion - "wait - does this mean that I need to move to my left?! Or should I move to my right? Eeeeee!" Use the DING DING hotkey, instead.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-18-19, 01:38 PM
seypat

Have you told her she needs to vlog every workout for the next year or else... ?
I'm going all out. I got her the latest iphone for the vlogging. I'm building an addition onto the house that will be the Peloton studio. The outer wall will be all glass. Wooden floor with a raised pedestal for the Peloton. The other walls will be white so we can project different scenes/backdrops for atmosphere. It will also have a mobile overhead cam like the NFL has for the action shots. I'm thinking about putting a fake snow machine outside above the glass window. She hasn't been interested in stationary bikes before, but I can convince her to like this.

Maybe I should have gotten something from Diamonds Direct or Schwarzschild Jewelers instead? According to their commercials, that is the perfect gift. Plus, they have a sale going on with the lowest prices ever! Were you in RVA when Schwarzschilds had those stupid commercials with the irritating couple? They were awful. (For the rest of you, that is a RVA thing)
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-18-19, 01:48 PM
seypat

On a serious note, congratulations on the family addition. When the times comes, I don't know if you will opt for public education or private. If public, Chesterfield has the Gifted Education program. It's a great program. Henrico has something similar, but a teacher told me their program imploded about 5 years ago and hasn't been the same since. It might be something to look into.

Last edited by seypat; 12-18-19 at 01:51 PM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-18-19, 01:59 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
If anyone wants Zwift waving etiquette guidelines, please review this thread I was reminded of from a few years back. I've been taking Zwift very seriously since 2016, apparently-

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ld-i-wave.html
!!!UPDATE 01/21/16!!!

I spent my morning trainer session waving at strangers on Zwift, took some screenshots-

Attachment 499571Attachment 499572Attachment 499573

NOT A SINGLE WAVE IN RESPONSE. I even dinged my bell just to make sure they saw me, and then rode alongside each person and waved at least 12-15 times to see if they'd wave back. A couple of them just accelerated and dropped me, one did a quick u-turn to get away, and another immediately disconnected.

CONCLUSION:

Virtual riders are jerks. They race-faced me and I feel like this game is no longer enjoyable.

Please discuss.
Old 12-18-19, 02:02 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I stand by my previous comment:

Originally Posted by PepeM
First one might have missed you. As for the second one, maybe people in Japan wave differently?

Third one is definitely a jerk. No helmet, reading the newspaper while riding, not waving back... Is there a way to report despicable people like him?
​​​​​​​
Old 12-18-19, 02:05 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Everybody knows that the ON YOUR LEFT hotkey just causes confusion - "wait - does this mean that I need to move to my left?! Or should I move to my right? Eeeeee!" Use the DING DING hotkey, instead.
The Zwift bell? ( you can find it in the action bar at the bottom of the screen)

Old 12-18-19, 02:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
If you've been listening you also know that while I can sit and complain about something like gravel - It's about all I am "competing" in anymore.
Yup, ive noticed. I have looked at my car radio more than once while listening to recent podcasts when you mention participating in events that you were ripping on just last year or so because they werent 'real' races.

While I enjoy taking shots at Zwift - I still rode an hour on it yesterday. I just refuse to think that anything is an all knowing savior of anything. A lot of times my probing and pot shots are meant to pull the zealots out of the conversation and find those that use it with a critical eye in hopes they can truly quantify the long term value of it and it's place in the sport. Without doing that then I feel all I am doing is listening to a Peloton commercial given by a bunch of disciples.... when the last commercial really pointed out some of the flaws in what they think is their mission.

In reality I am paying for an account and I am trying it with an open mind. My skin still will crawl when people try and draw some sort of comparison between Zwift racing and real world performance but I am not alone in that. I truly wish we could just embrace it as a game without trying to make it seem like real life racing. Change the graphics but give it the same tactics. I think it could be interesting that way. Like why can't we have a race on a course that resembles a large rollercoaster with loops? Sections that float in space? Sections that act like their powerups do where people can develop tactics that in a way mimic racing tactics (not saying they don't already as I don't race on there yet).

It's the stuff where people sit around and do video comparisons between zwift's Alp d'huez and the real thing that make my eyes roll hard enough that it distracts me. I've never had the time or money to ride the thing in real life but i know enough to know that no approximation of it will ever be accurate so take it at face value. If the idea of riding an analog of it gets your training done then bravo...just don't destroy it by trying to analyze the hell out of it.

Apologies on not having any new podcasts lately. Cross season is always the busiest. 7-day work weeks for months on end. now officially over. Have a few in the can and a couple of topics I want to pick up. This will probably be one of them. I've been a lot less disagreeable lately and that honestly doesn't make for good podcasting. Try thinking of the last time you listened to a podcast where people talked about something and no one ever disagreed. Believe it or not sometimes we have an outline and have agreed beforehand which sides we are going to take if it's an issue that we all agree on in advance.

The hate of the hand-wringing about racing comes from this place. Always full of a bunch of people that want to emulate what they perceive to be the racing culture but unwilling to take the step to try it. After doing it - yeah draw your own conclusions. It's not for everyone of course. The reasons cited for not doing it get old. I have heard all of them over the years.

You alluded to me talking about what is killing racing? Nothing is killing racing. That's the part that I don't think people get. They always seem to insert their own narrative and attribute their own experience as somehow being some sort of cause for racing dying. It's dying at the same rate it always has....it's just that no one is trying it anymore. If people were trying it we would be chugging along like always. Some would love it. Some would hate it but the people leaving every year through natural life shifts would be offset by those coming to it. They just aren't coming to it anymore. It's not gravel. It's not Zwift. It's not money. it's not gear. It's a general shift in what people want to do with their time. Racing (IRL) is just not one of those things. Playing a video game where racing happens is.

Hell we should shoot a video blog where I try a Zwift race. If it's like real racing then I should be crapped out the back in the first 90 seconds or so....

At the end of the day it's still riding a trainer. Like I said I rode for an hour yesterday. That's an hour I wouldn't have done without the distractions of Zwift. I am grateful for zwift in that regard.
All this makes sense. And I would love to see you vlog a zwift race. I dont really watch youtube videos of other people playing 1st person shooter games or whatever, but I would watch a youtube compilation of you and others in a race- as long as there was commentary to go with the riding.
Old 12-19-19, 12:57 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yup, ive noticed. I have looked at my car radio more than once while listening to recent podcasts when you mention participating in events that you were ripping on just last year or so because they werent 'real' races.

All this makes sense. And I would love to see you vlog a zwift race. I dont really watch youtube videos of other people playing 1st person shooter games or whatever, but I would watch a youtube compilation of you and others in a race- as long as there was commentary to go with the riding.
The commentary would have to be me after the fact or someone else calling it. That said it might be pretty boring. "Aaaaaaaaand he's been dropped. Taking bets on when he decides to pull the plug"

Old 12-19-19, 01:03 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

On a serious note, congratulations on the family addition. When the times comes, I don't know if you will opt for public education or private. If public, Chesterfield has the Gifted Education program. It's a great program. Henrico has something similar, but a teacher told me their program imploded about 5 years ago and hasn't been the same since. It might be something to look into.
Thanks! We just moved out to the Short Pump area (Godwin HS district), but we've got a long ways before we really even need to worry about that. Who knows, maybe in 15 years we can afford Collegiate? Probably not since it'll be 100k a year by then, but you never know.
Old 12-20-19, 09:04 AM
seypat

Thanks! We just moved out to the Short Pump area (Godwin HS district), but we've got a long ways before we really even need to worry about that. Who knows, maybe in 15 years we can afford Collegiate? Probably not since it'll be 100k a year by then, but you never know.
The gifted programs are not confined to the individual districts. They are above and beyond that. You get the best education opportunity your tax dollars are paying for. Here are the links:

https://henricoschools.us/gifted/
https://mychesterfieldschools.com/cu...ted-education/

I was in Short Pump last Saturday for the better half's family's Christmas lunch. We ate at Firebirds then tooled around the shopping center. You know it's an upscale shopping center when they have a Peloton store! I should have walked in and asked them about Zwifting on a Peloton. The wife and her cousin went to the Circuit Arcade Bar the night before. They gave it high reviews.
Old 12-20-19, 01:37 PM
rubiksoval

I guess me continuing a discussion and you not liking it is tripping over myself. I’ve been quite consistent, you just don’t like what I’m saying for some reason as you seem to be especially abrasive about all things Zwift, so I’ll leave it at that.
Quite consistent?

The purpose of this place is to engage in debate publicly.
But then when said "public debate" is occurring...
If you guys want to have a private debate about whether the UCI should b.e involved in Zwift, maybe send a PM.
But then when commenting on you decrying said public debate

I guess me continuing a discussion...
So yea, tripping over yourself because you don't seem to know what you want.

You're just bloviating about nothing.
Old 12-20-19, 01:47 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Quite consistent?

But then when said "public debate" is occurring...

But then when commenting on you decrying said public debate

So yea, tripping over yourself because you don't seem to know what you want.

You're just bloviating about nothing.
Ok, thanks for letting me know you didn't understand the sarcasm of my private debate via PM comment, clears a lot up for me.
Old 12-20-19, 01:49 PM
rubiksoval

When the times comes, I don't know if you will opt for public education or private. If public, Chesterfield has the Gifted Education program. It's a great program. Henrico has something similar, but a teacher told me their program imploded about 5 years ago and hasn't been the same since. It might be something to look into.
Now that's an interesting tangent!

Identifying kindergartners as gifted is a real stretch. In all likelihood, all that's being identified is how much education they've already received at home, or how much their parent knows about the system and can "game" it accordingly. "Parent recommendation"? Come on. This is pretty silly and the cause of serious equity concerns due to hos disproportionate minority participation is.

Student readiness for gifted educational services is determined by multiple and varied criteria: parent recommendations, professional rating scale including characteristics of diverse gifted students with examples of student work, grades, observations/interviews, and nationally normed aptitude and/or achievement assessments."
Old 12-20-19, 01:50 PM
rubiksoval

Ok, thanks for letting me know you didn't understand the sarcasm of my private debate via PM comment, clears a lot up for me.
Like I said initially, there's a serious lack of logic and continuity in your posts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.