Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a new saddle?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-02-20, 10:18 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 105 Posts

Now that warmer weather is here, and I’m in a new city with longer bike trails, I’m putting more miles on my bike. It’s mostly weekends now that I work a desk job M-F.

I used to ride a little every day, but I don’t think that’s gonna happen now. This weekend I logged more miles than usual and those 2 little spots under my sitbones feel sore, bruised.

I’m on the stock Jamis saddle which is pretty narrow. I’m thinking I might try something wider, maybe a Brooks B17 or Selle Anatomica. I’m wondering if only riding weekends is gonna take too long to break in the Brooks? Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I ride a steel frame road bike, on paved trails. I ride on the hoods a lot, not so much on the drops.
Old 03-02-20, 11:04 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
I like the old school Selle Italia Turbo saddle for almost everything ---- the rounded profile is nice compared to the angular shells on a lot of modern saddles --- But that said, I also tried a Specialized Power saddle on one of my road bikes on the advise of my LBS's staff --- its great - If I had the budget, id have several of these

But saddle choice being highly individual, id try to visit a Specialized dealer if any are in your area and see if you can demo a saddle or two
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-02-20, 11:44 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I was at Brooks B-17 fan for years but I tried to selle anatomica I like it a lot better. A little softer and springer. I just got the r2 rubberized version going to try it too. But as it is with saddles your results may vary

Likes For hillyman:
Old 03-02-20, 11:52 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
My experience with the B17 is that a generous initial application of Obenauf's leather preservative, top and bottom (after using all the proofide on there) softens a Brooks saddle nicely.
That said, don't count out your old saddle unless you're noticing more troubling symptoms of poor fit. I get the bruised feeling on a B17 after longer rides too.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 03-02-20, 03:15 PM
riverdrifter

Thanks guys I’ll keep that all in mind. It may just be that I’ve been sitting at a desk all winter.
Old 03-02-20, 03:46 PM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As already said, saddles are very personal. I am personally really liking my Terry Liberator. Good price and works well for my riding.
Likes For BillinPA:
Old 03-02-20, 06:10 PM
riverdrifter

I’ll check out the local shops this week and see if any them do saddle fitting or have an exchange program.
Old 03-02-20, 06:41 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Don’t have much to add besides *not* the specialized power. It’s a favorite amongst racers but it’s probably not a good fit based on your requirements. If you walk into a bike shop and just say “give me a good saddle” they might suggest that.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 03-02-20, 07:09 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I tried to talk some people out of buying the Power when they say they have a more upright riding position, but others have said it works for them even when not racing. I suppose the flatter profile is more pleasing to some tushes.

OP: some things you can do for free before spending money on a new saddle is to make sure you are giving your butt periodic breaks. Stand up and pedal for 10-60 seconds every 10-20 minutes. Get off the bike and stretch or walk around. Your sit bones may grow accustomed to the load after a few rides also. It's normal to feel a bit of pain when you first start riding longer. If you're already doing those things, then a new saddle may be just the ticket to comfort.
Likes For surak:
Old 03-02-20, 10:02 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
WTB saddles

Likes For Gconan:
Old 03-03-20, 03:40 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
I like the Fizik Arione but it's an expensive saddle. When mine broke and I decided I couldn't afford to replace it a friend suggested Fabric. They make their saddles in a differing widths and profiles (flat, shallow and radius) to suit different riding styles. They also do four different rails on them. I went for a Line Elite Shallow and I've found it to be very good. So I got a Scoop Elite Shallow for the other bike - also good but I think I prefer the Line.

My bike came with a bottom end Selle San Marco saddle and it has to be the worst saddle I've ever sat upon.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 03-03-20, 12:36 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I went through a number of saddles in the search for the one that worked best for me. The B17 was one of the best, and I’ll be putting one on a Raleigh International I’m building up. But the saddle that has become my “go-to” is the WTB Pure V. I use that on three of my bikes.
Old 03-03-20, 08:04 PM
Drago1010

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc.Cannondale Synapse, Fuji Tread 1.0, Marin Larkspur

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Been riding a Sella Anatomica H2 on my road bike since last spring and it is the most comfortable saddle I've ridden. Just got an R2 for my gravel bike. Rode it yesterday for the first time and it feels pretty good though not as good as my H2. It may need a little more time to break in.
Likes For Drago1010:
Old 03-03-20, 08:40 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I tried to talk some people out of buying the Power when they say they have a more upright riding position, but others have said it works for them even when not racing. I suppose the flatter profile is more pleasing to some tushes.

i ride predominately on the hoods and with my back at an approximate 45 degree angle--- classic rando type position- and the power works well for me there --- but it should be noted that i have a clydesdale physique and body type and size can also play into what saddle makes a person happy
Likes For DMC707:
Old 03-03-20, 08:47 PM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
MTB speed V...cheap and super comfy for me. Irwv ofc
Likes For LorenMiranda:
Old 03-03-20, 09:14 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Drago1010
Been riding a Sella Anatomica H2 on my road bike since last spring and it is the most comfortable saddle I've ridden. Just got an R2 for my gravel bike. Rode it yesterday for the first time and it feels pretty good though not as good as my H2. It may need a little more time to break in.
Now you have me a little worried on R2 I ordered. Won't be home to pick it up for about a week. Maybe better bring my H2 along on road too till I try R2 out. Couldn't find nothing for a review on the R2.

Likes For hillyman:
Old 03-04-20, 10:45 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
The B17 was one of the best But the saddle that has become my “go-to” is the WTB Pure V.
My two favorite choices. That said, I’m riding a B17 now. Been pain free since the second day on it. Doing a century in 2 weeks. It’s really good!
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 03-05-20, 06:03 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Many already mentioned, but for saddles, these are my picks:

Brooks
Special Ed Body Geometry
Terry
WTB
Charge Spoon for cheap backup
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 03-05-20, 08:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Flat and Firm

I'd be careful about the WTB or Terry saddles, as they often add unnecessary padding.

For me and my butt, the trick(s) are flat sit bone area (that means flat in the cross-wise direction, not cupped and not arched), flat sit bone area fore-and-aft, and firm (either with no padding or minimal padding). Also, there's narrow, but I can tolerate a bit of width if the rest is correct. A Brooks B-17 or equivalent is about as wide as I like to go. I like the older B17N.

After riding for now nearly 50 years, my butt is pretty well conditioned to ride on anything. That is, as long as the saddle is properly positioned, and pitched to flat on the sit area. I don't require special padding or any such thing in my shorts or tights, mostly a bit of moisture wicking and some airflow. Tri-shorts are a nice compromise.

The OP might like the Brooks. The modern production ones have flimsy (pretty thin) leather that breaks in quickly. I don't prefer them (modern ones) for that reason alone. Of course, the OP didn't share the bike type or saddle to handlebar drop, which would've been helpful...

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 03-05-20 at 08:40 AM.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-05-20, 09:52 AM
zweitesmal2

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
My LBS has a large pile of takeoff saddles, taken from new bikes when the purchaser would want a larger 'comfort' seat. They let me have all i want, either cheap ($10) or free, depending on how many of any type are there. These are nice higher end saddles from Fabric, WTB and more. I get to try all sorts of profiles for as long as I want and have a nice selection at home now. You may try this as well before splashing out on some $80+ saddle based on a stranger's advice.
Old 03-05-20, 11:01 AM
adalah

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I like the old school Selle Italia Turbo saddle for almost everything ---- the rounded profile is nice compared to the angular shells on a lot of modern saddles --- But that said, I also tried a Specialized Power saddle on one of my road bikes on the advise of my LBS's staff --- its great - If I had the budget, id have several of these

But saddle choice being highly individual, id try to visit a Specialized dealer if any are in your area and see if you can demo a saddle or two
Nice
Old 03-05-20, 11:24 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter
Now that warmer weather is here, and I’m in a new city with longer bike trails, I’m putting more miles on my bike. It’s mostly weekends now that I work a desk job M-F.

I used to ride a little every day, but I don’t think that’s gonna happen now. This weekend I logged more miles than usual and those 2 little spots under my sitbones feel sore, bruised.

I’m on the stock Jamis saddle which is pretty narrow. I’m thinking I might try something wider, maybe a Brooks B17 or Selle Anatomica. I’m wondering if only riding weekends is gonna take too long to break in the Brooks? Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, I ride a steel frame road bike, on paved trails. I ride on the hoods a lot, not so much on the drops.
If it's sore sit bones, that is a fitness issue, not an equipment issue. If your sit bones are sore, you need more saddle time. If your "nether regions" are abraded/raw, or you have saddle sores, or you have perineal numbness, that could be a either a saddle issue or it could be a fit issue.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 03-05-20, 12:51 PM
riverdrifter

Originally Posted by noimagination
If it's sore sit bones, that is a fitness issue, not an equipment issue. If your sit bones are sore, you need more saddle time. If your "nether regions" are abraded/raw, or you have saddle sores, or you have perineal numbness, that could be a either a saddle issue or it could be a fit issue.
Okay thanks. I wondered if it was just my butt feeling the effects from sitting at a desk all winter, for the first time in my life. I’m 49 and I’m never had a desk job before, I’ve always worked on my feet.

I do feel great everywhere else, it’s just sore sit bones. I am getting exercise, but I’ve had almost zero saddle time this winter.
Old 03-05-20, 01:50 PM
bpcyclist

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'd be careful about the WTB or Terry saddles, as they often add unnecessary padding.

For me and my butt, the trick(s) are flat sit bone area (that means flat in the cross-wise direction, not cupped and not arched), flat sit bone area fore-and-aft, and firm (either with no padding or minimal padding). Also, there's narrow, but I can tolerate a bit of width if the rest is correct. A Brooks B-17 or equivalent is about as wide as I like to go. I like the older B17N.

After riding for now nearly 50 years, my butt is pretty well conditioned to ride on anything. That is, as long as the saddle is properly positioned, and pitched to flat on the sit area. I don't require special padding or any such thing in my shorts or tights, mostly a bit of moisture wicking and some airflow. Tri-shorts are a nice compromise.

The OP might like the Brooks. The modern production ones have flimsy (pretty thin) leather that breaks in quickly. I don't prefer them (modern ones) for that reason alone. Of course, the OP didn't share the bike type or saddle to handlebar drop, which would've been helpful...
Could you please explain how you think minimal padding or no padding increases comfort for you? Thanks a bunch!!
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-05-20, 02:05 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Briefly, cushioning on a saddle both compresses and expands. As you sit on a soft saddle and sink in, the padding pushes back on the softer parts, potentially causing saddle sores and/or numbness.
Likes For Unca_Sam:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.