Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Trainerroad group workouts

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 03-30-20, 11:38 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts

Neat new feature launched today, you can host a workout live with 4 other people. They apparently worked to get this out now rather than the fall in light of all that is going on. So it only works on their desktop apps for now, but it looks cool, and I say that as someone who does workouts alone. I kind of want to see if someone wants to suffer with me for 2.5min intervals at 120% tomorrow! lol
Old 03-31-20, 07:07 AM
Tyrell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I agree - very cool feature! I'm going to try it soon...probably tomorrow. And I think I'm going to cancel my Zwfit.

I have been trying to coordinate riding with teammates in Zwift while using Discord for a voice chat channel. But geez, I find Zwift to be so cumbersome! And I've realized that the real socializing value of what we were doing was really being able to talk to each other. The Zwift game was just distraction and often more trouble than it was worth. Who cares if your avatar is near someone else's or not? They finally got my son's child account setup so I'm not seeing the value in my paid account any more.

After trying Zwift again for a couple weeks after nearly 5 years away, I've found that:
The UI is still bad
I still don't like the video game feel of it
It's still too much headache to setup
I don't really enjoy the Zwift races

In the end, I'd rather just do a workout with a friend virtually/together. This new TR feature would allow us to do that like we would out on a ride but now the faster person doesn't have to loop back when their interval is done to link back up with the slower one in order to talk during the recovery.
Old 03-31-20, 07:32 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I use zwift alongside trainerroad (TR does erg mode, zwift just receives power data), and it's really just something to look at, but it could honestly be anything (if premier league soccer games were still on, that would be on my screen during weekend rides). Sometimes I'll jump on a race during interval workouts (so it's assured I'll be dropped during rest periods) but TR has been my main deal for several years now, it's the thing that gets me to get the best quality workout.

I honestly don't see myself using the new TR feature all that much, I think it's going to have its place and be pretty awesome, but I think finding people to do the same workout you're doing is going to be tough (might be something people do for more casual z2 rides vs hard intervals), not to mention aligning schedules and what not. Still, it's awesome to see them put out something like this, some people really want more "social" out of trainerroad and this delivers and it can be motivating for groups to do hard workouts together. I'm an unapologetic TR fanboy, with their podcast, forum (which, current subforum excluded, is way better than the forums here), and the way their team is part of the community and engaging are just awesome and unseen in most other companies in the same space.