Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Jury Rigged Spoke

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Jury Rigged Spoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 03:56 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Jury Rigged Spoke

I'm almost afraid to post this here because of the ridicule I know I'll receive. I broke a spoke and don't have any of the correct length on hand. I think the LBSs are still closed on lockdown as non-essential in my area. So, I cut the head off one that's somewhat longer, bent the cut end around, and laced it in. I tensioned it up and trued the wheel. It's working. For how long I don't know. On one hand, I'm ashamed to have to resort to such measures. On the other hand it gives me comfort to know that I can use "gun deck" repairs (Navy lingo) like this to get things operating.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-08-20 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 04:06 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Under the present circumstances, whatever works is perfectly acceptable. I'm not sure of the long term durability but it should last for many miles.
Old 05-08-20, 04:31 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
There actually used to be a special plier to put a z-bend at the head end of a spoke. This would allow the installation of a replacement driveside spoke w/o removing the freewheel/cassette.
When I simply had to get a bike rideable with what was at hand, I installed one spoke from the hub, another from the rim. Cut them off with some overlap and used a cable crimp to lock them together...
Old 05-08-20, 04:36 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Nice work. If it tensioned up good it should last a long time.
Old 05-08-20, 05:37 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I don't see any reason for it to fail any sooner than the others; I cannot see it coming loose.
Old 05-08-20, 05:44 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
No ridicule from this quarter, and I've built wheels in the thousands. The only thing that concerns me is, being a bladed spoke, how close to the transition from round to flat the bend is. If you showed a photo from the back side, we could make a fairer judgement.
Old 05-08-20, 05:52 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Whatever works. If you were to suggest that everyone do it on every spoke because it’s “better”, we’d ridicule you. But for an emergency fix, it’s suitable.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-08-20, 06:36 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Bravo. Just don’t forget about it a year from
now! When you are wondering why that wheel seems a little lose. Just ride baby!
Old 05-08-20, 07:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I would reach out to whatever schmuck is running the show where you live and fight hard to get those LBSs open. If cycling is not essential then hopefully other forms of transportation aren't as well and they are on super lockdown. I know plenty of people who are traveling to work by bike these days because public transport is too risky and plenty more who need the bike for mental and physical health.
Old 05-08-20, 08:21 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
No ridicule from this quarter, and I've built wheels in the thousands. The only thing that concerns me is, being a bladed spoke, how close to the transition from round to flat the bend is. If you showed a photo from the back side, we could make a fairer judgement.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. The wheel is laced with blade spokes...aside from a couple others I've had to replace. None of the LBSs in my area have blade spokes in the length I need. So, I have to use round (and I know I could order online). The Jury rigged spoke is round. The lacing is a 2-cross pattern, and where they cross I suppose that the round vs. flat would cause the existing spoke to tension just a bit more. But, as I said I did true it and some of the spokes (includeing that existing cross spoke) had to be loosened. This is actually like the 5th or 6th spoke that has had to be replaced on that wheel. It's a good wheel, and I love it. But for some reason it breaks spokes somewhat more frequently than all the other wheels on all my other bikes.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-08-20 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 08:26 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
Bravo. Just don’t forget about it a year from now!
Of course you know I will!!!

Dan
Old 05-08-20, 09:00 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I doubt you'll get more than 20 years from that.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 05-08-20, 09:02 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
There actually used to be a special plier to put a z-bend at the head end of a spoke. This would allow the installation of a replacement driveside spoke w/o removing the freewheel/cassette.
When I simply had to get a bike rideable with what was at hand, I installed one spoke from the hub, another from the rim. Cut them off with some overlap and used a cable crimp to lock them together...
Still exists and useful for touring when there's 5 different wheelsets, wheelfanatyk sold some for a while but you can still get them through hobby shops and small engine repair places. Just use the tool, install properly and forget it, never need to bother with it again.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I'm not sure what you're getting at. The wheel is laced with blade spokes...aside from a couple others I've had to replace. None of the LBSs in my area have blade spokes in the length I need. So, I have to use round (and I know I could order online). The Jury rigged spoke is round. The lacing is a 2-cross pattern, and where they cross I suppose that the round vs. flat would cause the existing spoke to tension just a bit more. But, as I said I did true it and some of the spokes (includeing that existing cross spoke) had to be loosened. This is actually like the 5th or 6th spoke that has had to be replaced on that wheel. It's a good wheel, and I love it. But for some reason it breaks spokes somewhat more frequently than all the other wheels on all my other bikes.
Dan
Time to have the wheel rebuilt with all new spokes, expensive but the hassle usually isn't worth it.
Old 05-08-20, 10:15 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Wouldn't a good ole regular wire cutter work for that? Put the jaws' blades where you want the bend to be, apply just enough clamping force to maintain grip, and then twist?

And kudos to the OP for creativity. Any issues with clearance between the newly minted spoke head and the cassette?
Old 05-08-20, 10:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Good work! Now, remember, every mile on that wheel from now one is a free one, so enjoy them! (I love creative solutions.)

Ben
Old 05-08-20, 10:44 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts

Dan
OK. It looked at first to be a bladed spoke with the flat portion extending out of sight behind the flange. Anyway, that qualifies as an excellent field repair, and will probably hold till you decide to rebuild the entire wheel.
Old 05-09-20, 12:50 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Nice hack! I suspect it'll last a reasonable while, and a broken spoke isn't the end of the world if it doesn't. Were it me I'd probably go buy a spoke online though.
Old 05-09-20, 06:31 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I'm glad you decided to post this. Fantastic solution under the present circumstances. The NC lockdown restrictions exempted bike shops as essential activities; however limited their business to repair only, with curbside drop-off and pick-up. The logic behind this was that these shops were no different than auto-repair shops, i.e. an essential part of our transportation system. Bummer that RI did not see it this way.
Old 05-09-20, 09:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
For future use, consider getting a Fiber Fix spoke.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-09-20, 09:21 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
The NC lockdown restrictions exempted bike shops as essential activities...
Yeah, not sure why RI didn't let bike shops remain open...especially since department stores have had a run on bike purchasing (meaning more repairs will be needed). I was in the local Walmart the other day for the first time since lockdown, and the bike rack was empty except for one little kid's bike. I just double-checked the RI list of essential businesses...and LBSs are on neither the essential nor non-essential list. Liquor stores and gun shops are on the essential list, sporting goods stores are non-essential. So who knows???

While we're on the topic of spokes...since I have six bikes that I keep going...meaning more frequent spoke replacement than the average single bike owner...I'm considering the purchase of a spoke threading tool. I thought they were much more expensive...I was wrong...some are less than $100 new. It looks like the two 'go to' brands are the Cyclo, and the Hozan. Can anyone comment on which they find better, and why.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 05-09-20 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-09-20, 10:32 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
While we're on the topic of spokes...since I have six bikes that I keep going...meaning more frequent spoke replacement than the average single bike owner...I'm considering the purchase of a spoke threading tool. I thought they were much more expensive...I was wrong...some are less than $100 new. It looks like the two 'go to' brands are the Cyclo, and the Hozan. Can anyone comment on which they find better, and why.

Dan
I have more bikes than you, and while I rarely break a spoke, I frequently build/rebuild wheels. Over the years, buying boxes of 50/100 spokes resulted in me having quite a collection of spare spokes. A few years ago, I had a hankering to do a 650b conversion and instead of buying yet another package of spokes, I decided to buy a Hozan tool. I figured the price would be offset by allowing me to use my existing stash of spokes. To date I have used it to roll new threads on 4 sets of wheels so well over 200 spokes. The rolling head seems to be holding up well (I do use cutting oil liberally.) I will say that the whole process is tedious. You have to cut the spokes to the correct length, de-burr the cut end, mount it in the tool, apply oil, roll, test against a nipple ... 72 times for a pair of 36 spoke wheels. This tool is certainly not for production work. What it is good for is being able to size and thread a spoke blank to repair a wheel with a popped spoke. I can see a bike shop or co-op investing in one for these one-off jobs. I'm happy with my decision because I saved the price of 200+ spokes.

This thread reminded me of the 1886 account by Thomas Stevens, in his book Around the World on a Bicycle, of having to rely on local Afghani gunsmiths to repair 11 broken spokes on his Columbia Ordinary. They were able to heat the broken spokes to stretch them and then rethread. In his words, the result was entirely satisfactory.
Old 05-10-20, 08:59 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Wouldn't a good ole regular wire cutter work for that? Put the jaws' blades where you want the bend to be, apply just enough clamping force to maintain grip, and then twist?
I haven’t tried on a bicycle.
But:
- spokes are at risk of fatigue failure. I’d be wary of holding one with a plier with a cutting jaw. Seems like the nicks created by the jaws would be great starting points for fatigue cracks.
- BITD when I was heavily into R/C Model airplanes, I used z-bend pushrods. And putting those bends in tight enough to work well took a bit of doing. And that was on wire that was easier to bend and less stressed than spokes.
- I’ve tried using a cheap plier for crimp-on cable connectors, but the sideways pressure warped the jaws and caused a ”slack” bend.
That was when I went to the 2-part jointed spoke instead.
Likes For dabac:
Old 05-10-20, 11:53 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You said that you break spokes on other wheels. If you don't mind my asking how much do you weigh and are the other wheels low spoke count. I built 25 or 30 wheels for myself and friends and have had very few spokes breaking even with a couple of 250+ pounders.
Old 05-10-20, 01:10 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by davidad
You said that you break spokes on other wheels. If you don't mind my asking how much do you weigh and are the other wheels low spoke count. I built 25 or 30 wheels for myself and friends and have had very few spokes breaking even with a couple of 250+ pounders.
I tip the scale at 195-200 lbs. Most of my bikes are running wheels with 24 spokes on the rear. Really, I have the most problems on that bike/wheel in my OP. I've had maybe six or more (different) spokes break on that one. I haven't broken spokes on the others anywhere near that frequency. That particular wheel set is like 4 +/- years old. All the bikes get generally the same use (all road bikes). I think it just may be that particular wheel was perhaps over-tensioned when it was originally laced.

Dan
Old 05-11-20, 07:54 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I tip the scale at 195-200 lbs. Most of my bikes are running wheels with 24 spokes on the rear. Really, I have the most problems on that bike/wheel in my OP. I've had maybe six or more (different) spokes break on that one. I haven't broken spokes on the others anywhere near that frequency. That particular wheel set is like 4 +/- years old. All the bikes get generally the same use (all road bikes). I think it just may be that particular wheel was perhaps over-tensioned when it was originally laced.

Dan
Most likely under tensioned.