Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to Refinish Titanium?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 11:34 AM
Vo2min

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I have a Campagnolo Chorus titanium seatpost with those scratches you get from wrestling the post out of a tight frame. The scratches ar deep enough to feel. Can anyone recommend a method for refinishing?
Thanks
Old 02-09-06, 02:05 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
You can polish out the scratches if they're not too deep. Just remember that the more you polish, the looser the post will fit. I've done a few aluminum posts using finer and finer grades of emery paper and finishing by polishing with a wheel and rouge. I start with about 240 paper on aluminum. A pad sander speeds up the job. Fine steel wool works well on aluminum, but it may be too soft for titanium. I haven't tried it. Titanium polishes beautifully, but it takes longer because it's so hard.

This may help:

https://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm
Old 02-10-06, 04:17 AM
rruff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't know what kind of finish it has now, but you may want to go to a "brushed" finish... much easier to care for than a mirror polish, and looks good... also hides scratches well. I've done an entire frame this way with 200 grit sandpaper. Cut the sandpaper (or emory cloth) into thin strips and sand around the circumference of the tube... should take very little time at all.
Old 02-10-06, 05:49 AM
vigur

Bikes: frame- custom TiTerra Ti-M19, fork titanium PAS, wheels 29

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can do satin finish using 3M Scotch Brite Abrasive hand pads (solutions.3m.com). Very easy, takes from 5 to 10 minutes. I think that is best you can do to refinish titanium surface. Good luck.
Likes For vigur:
Old 02-10-06, 04:24 PM
Vo2min

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone!
Old 02-10-06, 07:06 PM
gm1230126
barnfullagts

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have apolished Ti frame and I use Mothers aluminum polish and Nevrdull to keep my frame looking like chrome. The Mothers is a little more agressive/abrasive than the Nevrdull. I start with Mothers and finish with Neverdull. Purchasing the two will run you about ten bucks. Check it out, the finished product is very nice if you're after polished Ti.

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...19696#poststop

Last edited by gm1230126; 02-10-06 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-09-19, 11:24 AM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

How to re-brush your Titanium bike frame with Vaaru Cycles (youtube search title)

Thread is old and been awhile since anyone has posted but based on the 3 year old video mentioned above I "renewed" an old, brushed Ti surface, Merlin frame w/ burgundy colored Scotch brite in under 30 mins (after using a hairdryer and gently removing the old stickers with a single edge razor blade...Believe, I'm going to leave off any new OEM Merlin stickers and leave it bare other than the badge on the steerer tube).
Old 11-09-19, 01:11 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
polishing.

if you know of anyone with a lathe you can refinish easily by running a fine emery cloth up-down the post.
Old 11-09-19, 01:45 PM
stormpeakco

Bikes: Fatback Corvus 1X12 (27.5X 2.8" & winter 26X 4.6"), Merlin Agilis 1X11

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
thanks. this process (video) is damn easy and is easy to navigate on the snug portions with the black tape method (adjacent to the welds).