Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

New Age Bike Setup

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

New Age Bike Setup

Old 09-19-20, 03:33 PM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
New Age Bike Setup

Hi All - Maybe the title of my post isn't the most accurate but it's the best I can do. I have been around and riding for a while and 8 months ago after being away from bikes for 6 years I bought a Hybrid and have really been enjoying it. Coming from a road bike and road racing background those bikes are and always have been in my blood and I always have my eye out for a road bike deal and 4 months ago one fell into my lap that I couldn't walk away from. I bought a 59cm C-C Litespeed Arenberg road bike and am very happy with it and it has taught me a few things about what I thought I knew about fitting. I almost didn't buy the bike because of the frame size I thought it was too small but I thought "what the heck I'll just ride it casually and how much harm can it do me?". Well it turns out that this 59cm bike is probably the most comfortable bike I have ever owned and I can't get enough of it. I am 6'2" tall and weigh approx 210 lbs. I will add that most of my height is in my legs. Every other road bike I have ever ridden has been either 61cm or 62 cm and while they were never that comfortable I thought it was the price I had to pay so I just sucked it up and rode. My shoulders and my neck were always aching but not with my current bike. The only thing that hurts when I ride my current road bike is my legs when I hammer.

I know that the thinking and methodology on bike fitting has changed a lot over the years and one rule has been that it is not a good idea to move a seat to compensate for a fitting problem on a bike. Try a stem or a handlebar but moving the seat is not a good idea. I always used to set my bikes up with my knee over the pedal axle and went from there and I am thinking maybe I was setting myself up for failure in putting the seat too far forward. I know the current thinking is set the seat so it is far enough back that when you are riding you can lift off the handlebar using you core muscles and with my new bike I can do this so there is a lot less pressure on my neck and shoulders. What I want to ask is there a methodology to this new method of setting a seat or is it just a situation where you try it until you think you have it right? Thanks all :-)
Old 09-19-20, 08:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
My bike fit primer: https://www.bikeforums.net/21296948-post3.html
Old 09-24-20, 06:51 PM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Carbonfiberboy Thank you for sharing the information on fitting. Apparently I have been buying the wrong size bikes for most of the time I have been riding and racing and that would be many, MANY years. I was always more concerned with seat tube length and I guess I should have been more concerned with top tube length. As an example my Litespeed Arenberg, which I own now has a 59cm C-C seat tube and a 56cm C-C top tube. The Litespeed Classic which I had until my ex left the garage door up and it was stolen had a 61cm C-C seat tube and a 58cm C-C top tube and that is a huge difference in top tube length.

I am so much more comfortable now that I have been on the majority of large frame bikes I have ever owned and I wish I had woken up to this years ago but this bike just fell into my lap and I almost didn't buy it because I was still fixated on my seat tube mentality. Live and learn :-(
Old 09-28-20, 10:44 PM
darkcoal

Bikes: CAAD 9, VADO SL EQ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am also 6’2”, and my bike frame was 62cm, and after 20+ miles it was a bit uncomfortable, and like you, I thought it was the price to pay.
Some years later I decided to upgrade my aluminum frame to a carbon frame, while at my LBS the fitter Clovis Anderson recommended a 58cm frame and it was absolutely worth it. I spent more money that I wanted and have to admit to some trepidation about some of the changes he suggested. But I decided to trust him, and I couldn't be happier with the result.
Now I am a believer of a professional bike fitting.