Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

It's Orange Bike Month

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

It's Orange Bike Month

Old 10-04-20, 11:49 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
looks like my Halloween bike has a friend! I tried that wrap on my Raleigh and stopped at the brake levers , then went solid black. It is a bit tougher than it looks.
I really should pose the bike next to one of the local pumpkin fields!

The harlequin wrap is relatively easy on the straight sections, once you figure out the basics. I need to practice the curved sections, due to the conflicting needs to not have a section of tape overlap itself (to maintain the diamond pattern) and the basic math that says that the length of the path on the inside of the curve is less than the length of the path along the outside of the curve.

I recall folks mentioning that it can be easier with tape that stretches more. Presumably this lets you narrow the tape a bit by putting more tension on it, and this solves the issue of needing to be narrow on the inside of the curved sections.

The issue of getting the pattern to go by the brake levers without messing up the diamonds is something I haven't dealt with yet... at least not directly. With the bar-end shifters, I decided it would be cleaner to start both at the top of the bars and at the ends. Both sections go towards the brake levers and terminate there.

I'm not sure how much it matters, but having the bars off the bike might help. I was changing to new cables and housing at the same time, so it made sense.

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-04-20, 12:04 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
Not classic or exotic but it's mine and I love it.

Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 10-04-20, 12:09 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Likes For branko_76:
Old 10-04-20, 12:18 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Paul J
My frame was built in 1981. I had it built as a sports touring frame. At that time you had to find your own painter. We built it for 27" wheels which I thought would be better for a tour I had planned. It was built with first generation Durace. I regretted pretty quickly and would have liked 700c better. I rode it on RAGBRAI in 1982 and it performed really well. If it would have had 700c I would have loved the bike, that sort of put me off on the bike so traded it at Michael's for a Strawberry frameset that had belonged to John Karras who is one of the founders for RAGBRAI. I then have ridden racing bikes pretty much since.
Neat! I didn't realize that Gordon was building frames that early. I'd guess he wasn't retired yet.

27" wheels were still common back then, but it's a shame that the frame wasn't tweaked to allow the brakes to be adjusted to handle 700C too.
For my frame, I didn't give any thought to brake pad position in the slots, and the front brake pads ended up about mid-slot. Many years later, I was using the bike with fenders for commuting and wanted more clearance under the fork crown. When I had Dave Huff paint and do minor mods, he added some material to the front dropouts to move the axle a few mm away from the fork crown.
These sorts of obsolescence issues happen to all bikes and are hard to anticipate. With a steel frame, there are options for updating the braze-ons, bridges on the stays, etc., to keep up technical or fashion changes.

Ending up with Karras's old Strawberry frame is a good thing! Was that built by Mark DiNucci? He makes some really sweet bikes! About the only bad aspect of having a frame owned by John Karras is knowing that it probably had a ton of miles on it.

Steve in Peoria

and for fun, a shot of John Karras on RAGBRAI in 1991.....

Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-04-20, 12:42 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 124 Posts

My Sears Puch Ted Williams Sport Racer. A never ending project.
Old 10-04-20, 02:07 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
When Oranges turn black, conversion therapy (yeah, it's a cheat)

1995 C16R Drop bar gubbins...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
10 to this 2020.jpg (382.2 KB, 512 views)
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 10-04-20, 02:18 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
PA/NJ/NY bikepacking your
Old 10-04-20, 03:47 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 10-04-20, 05:57 PM
Bicicletta89

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Used to be a lot easier to find orange bikes! I've had both these for about 30 years.

~1969 Dawes Galaxy

1972 Eddy Merckx by Falcon
Love the black and orange Merckx! Are you running 27 inch wheels or 700c?
Old 10-04-20, 07:14 PM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by Chuckk
They're both 27 now. Merckx has a Nisi Toro set with 7/8" tires and the Dawes was gifted a Weinmann Concave 27" after running 700's when actively touring.

Beautiful! What brand are the 7/8 tires?
Old 10-04-20, 07:36 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Recent acquisition I didn't have room for even after selling more than half my stable this past 12mos, but at $100 for a TdF/SC that was mostly-original, I had a hard time saying no.

Not nearly as nice as the blue TdF I got for $125 a few years ago. Needs a looooot of work. But it's orange, so I guess it fits here. All that grime, just keepin' it real!

Last edited by francophile; 10-09-20 at 11:41 AM.
Likes For francophile:
Old 10-05-20, 06:25 AM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 61 Posts
Hey, I’ve got an orange bike! Not exactly C&V, but here’s my ‘00 Rivendell:

Old 10-05-20, 08:15 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Neat! I didn't realize that Gordon was building frames that early. I'd guess he wasn't retired yet.

27" wheels were still common back then, but it's a shame that the frame wasn't tweaked to allow the brakes to be adjusted to handle 700C too.
For my frame, I didn't give any thought to brake pad position in the slots, and the front brake pads ended up about mid-slot. Many years later, I was using the bike with fenders for commuting and wanted more clearance under the fork crown. When I had Dave Huff paint and do minor mods, he added some material to the front dropouts to move the axle a few mm away from the fork crown.
These sorts of obsolescence issues happen to all bikes and are hard to anticipate. With a steel frame, there are options for updating the braze-ons, bridges on the stays, etc., to keep up technical or fashion changes.

Ending up with Karras's old Strawberry frame is a good thing! Was that built by Mark DiNucci? He makes some really sweet bikes! About the only bad aspect of having a frame owned by John Karras is knowing that it probably had a ton of miles on it.

Steve in Peoria

and for fun, a shot of John Karras on RAGBRAI in 1991.....

Great picture! Yes my Strawberry was built by Mark and had those beautifully thinned lugs. During my TREK days we added braze-ons and had it repainted. Shortly after our move to Pennsylvania I sold the Strawberry as I had more tied-up in bikes then my two cars and we were in need of a newer car. :-)
Old 10-05-20, 10:04 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Paul J
Great picture! Yes my Strawberry was built by Mark and had those beautifully thinned lugs. During my TREK days we added braze-ons and had it repainted. Shortly after our move to Pennsylvania I sold the Strawberry as I had more tied-up in bikes then my two cars and we were in need of a newer car. :-)
Mark DiNucci is one of those guys who has been producing great frames for decades, but hasn't gotten a lot of recognition.
One of his Strawberry frames was on display at the 2018 Classic Rendezvous gathering... the lugs are so minimalist and clean.

Mark had a booth at the 2015 NAHBS in Louisville, and had an amazing "naked" frame on display....

so many great frames in the world, and so little storage space!

Steve in Peoria
(but I stay pretty busy just riding the bikes that I've got)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-05-20, 10:09 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Mark DiNucci is one of those guys who has been producing great frames for decades, but hasn't gotten a lot of recognition.
One of his Strawberry frames was on display at the 2018 Classic Rendezvous gathering... the lugs are so minimalist and clean.

Mark had a booth at the 2015 NAHBS in Louisville, and had an amazing "naked" frame on display....

so many great frames in the world, and so little storage space!

Steve in Peoria
(but I stay pretty busy just riding the bikes that I've got)
That looks a lot like mind did. I so wish we had the ability to take pictures like we can now. I don't even think I have a picture of that bike.
Old 10-05-20, 11:34 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperLJ

This one earns Honorary C&V,

I'm surprised no one has said it yet -- "ORANGE BIKE GOOD!"
Old 10-06-20, 12:04 AM
DMNHCAGrandPrix

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 23 Posts
At least orange highlights. 1958 Alex Singer with integrated head tube lugs, original Singer front brake (rear later updated by shop), no seat post bolt on frame (internal expander post instead), and lots of other quirky French charm.

Old 10-06-20, 05:44 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
I recently found a Guerciotti 58cm Pista Track Frame that needed a repaint. Wanted to keep the original decals and see what I could accomplish on my own. I never attempted to paint a frame before so looked forward to seeing what I could accomplish with a can. Im happy with the result and like the way the original decals show the real patina.
The decals stand out more with the darker orange new paint
Also never owned an orange bike so was a great find. I also love Guerciotti bikes and have owned many including a very nice road bike that I ride often.

Likes For joesch:
Old 10-06-20, 07:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
@DMNHCAGrandPrix very impressive bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-06-20, 12:16 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by DMNHCAGrandPrix
Very nice!
Could you please post a close up photo of that intriguing drive side drop out?
Brent
Old 10-06-20, 01:57 PM
DMNHCAGrandPrix

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Very nice!
Could you please post a close up photo of that intriguing drive side drop out?
Brent
The "dropout" is actually a hole for a through axle. The original 1958 version of bike probably came with a Nivex or other chainstay mounted derailleur. Singer used a chain rest on the nside of the dropout, and a split axle hub to facilitate rear wheel removal. (You shift chain from freewheel to chain rest, then unscrew outer part of split axle, then let remainder of wheel drop straight down). The original owner later updated to more conventional derailleurs at the Singer shop. The chain rest and through-hole remain however, part of that quirky French charm that has been interesting to work with on this classic but "multiple eras" bike.
Likes For DMNHCAGrandPrix:
Old 10-06-20, 07:41 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperLJ

They really nailed it with that creamsicle color combo. I coveted a creamsicle Rambouillet in my size for waaaay too long. I found one in mint shape one size too small a couple years back and it pained me not to buy it.

Old 10-07-20, 04:16 PM
Bicicletta89

Originally Posted by DMNHCAGrandPrix
The "dropout" is actually a hole for a through axle. The original 1958 version of bike probably came with a Nivex or other chainstay mounted derailleur. Singer used a chain rest on the nside of the dropout, and a split axle hub to facilitate rear wheel removal. (You shift chain from freewheel to chain rest, then unscrew outer part of split axle, then let remainder of wheel drop straight down). The original owner later updated to more conventional derailleurs at the Singer shop. The chain rest and through-hole remain however, part of that quirky French charm that has been interesting to work with on this classic but "multiple eras" bike.
That actually sounds much easier as far as getting the rear wheel on and off (something that drives me nuts). How come that system fell out of use?
Old 10-07-20, 07:24 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Bicicletta89
That actually sounds much easier as far as getting the rear wheel on and off (something that drives me nuts). How come that system fell out of use?
Campagnolo did introduce a somewhat similar chainrest device in the early 80's (or so). The Retrogrouch blog did a nice write-up of it....
The Retrogrouch: Campagnolo Portacatena: A Neat Idea Whose Time Never Came

As noted, the problem was that you had to give up the space for a freewheel cog, and that wasn't a popular trade.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 10-10-20, 05:13 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Another Black Mountain Cycles road. Not C&V, but color appropriate at least! It's my daily driver.

Likes For bargo68:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.