Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Day 3 Natchez Trace or Racing Hurricane Delta?!?!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 06:05 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Day 3 Natchez Trace Parkway

106 miles from Tupelo to Kosciusko, MS. Another perfect day to ride the Parkway. Leaving Tupelo I was surprised by the heavy traffic on the Parkway. It felt like any other urban highway during rush hour. What happened to my peaceful, serene and stress free road??? Fortunately it only lasted about 10 miles.

My legs and body were fighting being back on the bike starting out today. But a Coke at 33 miles and my wife’s left over pancake changed the whole day! I wound up finishing faster than the previous two days. The human body is amazing.

Today’s stretch was tree lined most of the way which was very nice when the temperatures hit the 80’s. Rest stops were timed perfectly....well, except for where the RV pulled in beside us and let us suck in the diesel fumes for 15 minutes. That just sucked.

Tomorrow we head to Jackson and beyond, hope to go carve out as many of the 160 miles remaining as I can to get ahead of Delta. I’m hoping to put in some big miles hoping to leave a shorter ride ahead of Delta. It all depends on the winds.

The ride has been like doing an outdoor history lesson

The view behind the sign

We must not forget how we treated these fine people. Was it fair???

Terrific 30 mile ride through a tree canopy of hardwoods and pines.

A selfie through the National Forest

Today’s typical views. Who’s interested???

I remembered to stop this time! Only 200 more miles!

My Super sag lady at our last rest stop today

Post ride rehydration with a nuclear lemon lime drink
Old 10-07-20, 06:11 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Old 10-07-20, 06:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,417 Times in 2,754 Posts
The Park Service really should close some of the access around Tupelo. Those folks use the Trace for their daily commutes, apparently.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-07-20, 06:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The Park Service really should close some of the access around Tupelo. Those folks use the Trace for their daily commutes, apparently.
I hear it’s even worse around Jackson. The Park Service is suggesting cyclists exit the Parkway and take bike paths to avoid the heavy traffic. I’m still trying to decide what I’ll do tomorrow. I can handle traffic and it irritates me that a National Park Road has become a local thoroughfare. I’ve experienced a similar situation with the Blue Ridge Parkway around Asheville. I’ve ridden in some heavy traffic across the US including Chicago and Boston but I also don’t want to unnecessarily put myself in an unsafe situation. We’ll see.
Old 10-08-20, 12:22 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
That first sign: sic "prarie grassland........???". Park service sign as well. I have noticed in the past that the northern
sections seem to have the tree line 20-40' from the roadway, where further south the trees are closer.
Old 10-08-20, 02:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
You've probably already experienced it by now, but the traffic on the Trace between from about the 104 mile to about the 100 mile mark is bad. It is used as a main road for many to get from Interstate 55 to other parts of the metropolitan area that have poor East-West routes. The absolute worst times are morning, noon and late afternoon rush hours for people going to and from work and to lunch. The in-between times aren't that bad though. Not great by any means, but not so bad that I don't occasionally ride that stretch. The stretch from 100 miles down just passed Clinton where it goes over I-20 about mile 87 is similarly busy during the normal rush hours too, but not quite as bad.

If you get down to Port Gibson around mile 40, then you might find the First Presbyterin Church there a good picture spot. They've had a unique steeple since the 1860's.

And further down little past mile 30 togo, if you can get to Lorman, there is a restaurant on HWY 61 called the General Store. Not sure about biking there, but quick drive in car from the stop nearby on the Trace. The owner will come to your table and sing for you. And he also serves what I've heard is the best fried chicken you'll ever eat. Sadly I never get down that way when I'm hungry or am able to stop. So I've no experience myself.

No telling how bad Delta will affect our weather yet. Occasionally very heavy downpours for sure, but maybe a lot of decent weather in between if the wind doesn't kick up too much. You don't know how envious I am that you doing the trip I've been wanting to do for over ten years. Hope you enjoy it all.
Old 10-08-20, 09:01 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Iride01
You've probably already experienced it by now, but the traffic on the Trace between from about the 104 mile to about the 100 mile mark is bad. It is used as a main road for many to get from Interstate 55 to other parts of the metropolitan area that have poor East-West routes. The absolute worst times are morning, noon and late afternoon rush hours for people going to and from work and to lunch. The in-between times aren't that bad though. Not great by any means, but not so bad that I don't occasionally ride that stretch. The stretch from 100 miles down just passed Clinton where it goes over I-20 about mile 87 is similarly busy during the normal rush hours too, but not quite as bad.

If you get down to Port Gibson around mile 40, then you might find the First Presbyterin Church there a good picture spot. They've had a unique steeple since the 1860's.

And further down little past mile 30 togo, if you can get to Lorman, there is a restaurant on HWY 61 called the General Store. Not sure about biking there, but quick drive in car from the stop nearby on the Trace. The owner will come to your table and sing for you. And he also serves what I've heard is the best fried chicken you'll ever eat. Sadly I never get down that way when I'm hungry or am able to stop. So I've no experience myself.

No telling how bad Delta will affect our weather yet. Occasionally very heavy downpours for sure, but maybe a lot of decent weather in between if the wind doesn't kick up too much. You don't know how envious I am that you doing the trip I've been wanting to do for over ten years. Hope you enjoy it all.
I was really worried about riding the Parkway around Jackson but it was lighter traffic than some of my roads near my house. Plus drivers were extremely well behaved today. The bike path looked like a good option though.