Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1977 Raleigh Grand Prix

Old 10-27-20, 08:47 AM
Guyatwork37

Bikes: Specialized Allez 3Rensho, Spcialized Roubaix Expert, Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
1977 Raleigh Grand Prix

This just popped up for free on my local craigslist. I know it's the low end model, but the price is right. Owner days it's in excellent condition just needs brake pads. I assume it will also need bar tape, chain, possibly a saddle, tires and tubes (but I'm speculating on those last few). If all of that is needed, cost would be about $85 to fix up. Is it worth it? Thanks!

Old 10-27-20, 09:08 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 694 Posts
For free, it would already be in my workshop!

If it's your size, it will be a pleasant-enough riding bike that in its day was as good or better than 90 percent of the bicycles in use in the Western World at the time. It's not a high-dollar bike, but it has sentimental value for some. It's a nice representation of the upper-entry level bike right after the boom, when Japanese cotterless cranksets and SunTour derailleurs ruled the world. Functionally it is superior to previous generations of Grand Prix. My friends and I rode bikes like this one all over southwestern Virginia on day trips and even loaded camping gear on them for a 3-day tour on the Blue Ridge Parkway, so you can have a lot of fun on it. It's the classic Raleigh/Carlton geometry, but built with generic hi-ten tubing.

t looks like it has the sticker at the base of the seat tube indicating it was made in the Netherlands by Gazelle. Raleigh built these bikes and the good ol' Sports 3-speed all over the world.