Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike stand for indoor

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike stand for indoor

Old 10-24-20, 08:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I've bent rims hanging bikes by the front wheel like that. If some one bumps them or something falls over into them they torque and bend the rim.

Never again.
I'd be inclined to think that they were wheels that were ready to fail, every shop I ever worked at used hooks and the first shop during the summer could have close to 300 bikes between new and repairs hanging from hooks, never seen a rim bent from hanging and over the 15 years I was a tech that would have covered tens of thousands of bikes.

Originally Posted by bblair
I guess that would depend on the load and direction. Maybe I will place a few more screws, I do have a full box of them and no other projects in the works.
Just make sure the bit doesn't get too hot if you try to drill through the wood and into the concrete. Don't want the board to burn.

My basement has 12 bikes hanging from hooks, its an inelegant way to get the job done but it does get the job done. Course I have another 5 bikes leaning against the wall in the living room, and several in the shed and a very loving wife that also likes to ride.
Old 10-26-20, 01:09 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 225 Posts
My basement has 12 bikes hanging from hooks, its an inelegant way to get the job done but it does get the job done. Course I have another 5 bikes leaning against the wall in the living room, and several in the shed and a very loving wife that also likes to ride.[/QUOTE]

I was going to use the dining room; since Covid that space is not being used, so........

Mrs.: I am worried about getting grease on the carpt.
Me: I am more worried about getting dog hair on my clean cassette.
Old 10-27-20, 04:04 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I'd be inclined to think that they were wheels that were ready to fail, ...
Not sure how a rim gets ready to bend into an S.

Don't doubt your shop never had a problem. I do still hang one bike by J hooks in the ceiling, actually in a contraption that lets me pull it up into my garage rafters. But that is a single J hook on each wheel that lets the wheel pivot and swing from a single point of contact on each rim

The ones I strongly suggest not using are the ones that hook to the wheel with the bottom on the tire resting on the wall. With the rim held fast like that any side load will torque the rim and bend it.

Old 10-27-20, 08:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Not sure how a rim gets ready to bend into an S.
From improperly trained techs truing wheels by not caring what the spoke tension of a wheel feels like by just turning spokes till the wheel looks right. It leaves imbalanced tension that doesn't take much to warp a rim completely past a certain point. Can also happen with an improper wheel build, particularly in the rear, where the spoke tension is exceeding forces that the rim is meant to handle, usually someone new to building trying to get the non-drive side tension up to what they think is best. Any sudden change in tension, squeezing the drive side spokes or bumping them into something, will completely pretzel the rim before you know what's happened.
Old 10-28-20, 06:58 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts
Similar to some others above using 2X4's and old deck boards. I'm not too proud to raid a discard pile of wood from a neighborhood remodel . I do have a lot of tools including sanders to make to old wood look a little cleaner
Old 10-28-20, 09:45 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
From improperly trained techs truing wheels by not caring what the spoke tension of a wheel feels like by just turning spokes till the wheel looks right. It leaves imbalanced tension that doesn't take much to warp a rim completely past a certain point. Can also happen with an improper wheel build, particularly in the rear, where the spoke tension is exceeding forces that the rim is meant to handle, usually someone new to building trying to get the non-drive side tension up to what they think is best. Any sudden change in tension, squeezing the drive side spokes or bumping them into something, will completely pretzel the rim before you know what's happened.
You're not understanding. It bent the rim. To get an idea what the bend looks like, put a rim in a vice than twist the rim with a wide grip. Two kinks in opposite directions about 3-4 inches apart.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 10-28-20 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-28-20, 09:50 AM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
Similar to some others above using 2X4's and old deck boards. I'm not too proud to raid a discard pile of wood from a neighborhood remodel . I do have a lot of tools including sanders to make to old wood look a little cleaner
I did something very similar with L shaped pieces of plywood. They go farther up the rim that way. Nice thing about these is they can be unscrewed and adjusted for the width of the tire. I built a bike shed and screwed the stands right to the plywood decking for a fully custom fit

Repurpose and reuse to leave a smaller carbon footprint. You and I are not ghetto but climate activists.
Likes For Pop N Wood: