Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any Suggestions On How To Repair A Leaky CycleOps Fluid 2?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 02:36 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts

I called them today about my leaky resistance unit. In spite of having a lifetime warranty on all parts the dude said they don't cover things that are due to normal wear and tear.

Anyway, any suggestions? I've done a google search and nothing came up. They said a replacement unit would cost $200 sans shipping. No thanks.
Old 12-04-17, 02:42 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I called them today about my leaky resistance unit. In spite of having a lifetime warranty on all parts the dude said they don't cover things that are due to normal wear and tear.

Anyway, any suggestions? I've done a google search and nothing came up. They said a replacement unit would cost $200 sans shipping. No thanks.

I would call them back and ask to speak with the "dude's" supervisor about their warranty policy. I would not accept having them classify an oil leak as "worn out through normal use." https://www.cycleops.com/support/warranty
Old 12-04-17, 02:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
what does the service manual offer?
Old 12-04-17, 06:56 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by fietsbob
what does the service manual offer?
I don't think I have the box or original documentation. I bought it back in 2004. I'll have to look.

Update: I found the original box and documentation. However, there was no receipt inside. The warranty on the manual says the Fluid 2 has a lifetime warranty against all manufacturing defects just like the web site.

I'm going to call them again tomorrow and see if I get a different ... dude.

Last edited by Doctor Morbius; 12-04-17 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 06:57 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I would call them back and ask to speak with the "dude's" supervisor about their warranty policy. I would not accept having them classify an oil leak as "worn out through normal use." https://www.cycleops.com/support/warranty
Good point. I'll call back in the morning.
Old 12-04-17, 10:59 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I had a leaky Fluid 2 and they replaced the unit, no questions asked. The replacement has not leaked after about 5 years. There was a defect in the original units and they were prone to leaking. As I recall, I could easily spin out on it, and this was my clue that something was wrong as I couldn't do that when I first got it, compared to my old wind trainer.

Here's something else to ask them: Would they replace it with a "smart" Magnum unit since the base stand looks to be the same? And if so, how much? My guess though is the stand is the cheap part, and they won't do it for much less than the cost of a new one. Can't hurt to ask.
Old 12-04-17, 11:09 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
So, are the cycleops units pretty durable except for the issue the OP describes?

Also, anybody own one of the variable (settable) resistance cycleops units? I guess that this woudl be the Hammer or the Magnus. I'd like something that I can use to give me a programmed workout this winter. Set it "hill course" or some such. Does this make sense?
Old 12-05-17, 05:29 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Like I said, the original units were prone to leaking, but the newer ones seem to be ok. I'd like to try a smart version of it myself, but can't decide on a smart trainer or a pair of power meter pedals. I don't think I need both.
Old 12-05-17, 05:46 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Let's be real. Everything has a service life, and a lifetime warranty against defects does not mean something lasts forever.

The fact that the OP got 13 years of service out of it pretty much proves it was free of defects. Stuff wears out, especially things like O-rings. It's sad that they don't offer a rebuild program or at least a service kit with O-rings and a bottle of fluid, but IMO, the OP isn't entitled to a freebie here.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-05-17 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-05-17, 08:05 AM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Let's be real. Everything has z service life, and a lifetime warranty against defects does not mean something lasts forever.

The fact that the OP got 13 years of service out of it pretty much proves it was free of defects. Stuff wears out, especially things like O-rings. It's sad that they don't offer a rebuild program or at least a service kit with O-rings and a bottle of fluid, but IMO, the OP isn't entitled to a freebie here.
Totally Agree
Old 12-05-17, 11:45 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Let's be real. Everything has a service life, and a lifetime warranty against defects does not mean something lasts forever.

Normally, I would agree with you. However, I've only used the trainer 3 or 4 Winters since I bought it in 2004. Of course, they don't know that and have no way to verify that.

Anyway, I spoke with someone different today and they offered a replacement resistance unit for $109.00 shipped so I bought it. It should arrive in 3 days from Wisconsin.

If anyone is interested, the fluid they use is Mobil DTE746 Turbine Oil. He said to use exactly 5.24 ounces to get the correct power curve.
Old 12-05-17, 11:55 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Anyway, I spoke with someone different today and they offered a replacement resistance unit for $109.00 shipped so I bought it. It should arrive in 3 days from Wisconsin.

If anyone is interested, the fluid they use is Mobil DTE746 Turbine Oil. He said to use exactly 5.24 ounces to get the correct power curve.
Seems like a reasonable result for all parties.

I absolutely love the 5.24oz. Not 5-1/4 oz. but precisely 1/100th of an ounce less.

Does anybody really believe that folks are measuring to within 1/100th of an ounce?

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-05-17 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-05-17, 12:06 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

I absolutely love the 5.24oz. Not 5-1/4 oz. but precisely 1/100th of an ounce less.

Does anybody really believe that folks are measuring to within 1/100th of an ounce?
Yes, definitely a reasonable solution. The person I spoke with yesterday wanted $200 for a replacement unit.

I just googled Mobile DTE 746 and it doesn't seem to be readily available anywhere so I doubt people are topping off their units with the correct fluid, let alone exactly 5.24 ounces.
Old 12-05-17, 12:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Perhaps it has Aged O rings?
Old 12-05-17, 01:06 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Perhaps it has Aged O rings?
Could be. I know my O-rings don't work as well as they used to.

Once I get the replacement unit in I may try to disassemble the old one and replace any gaskets, O-rings and seals I find. If I do I'll take pictures, document the process and post the results for the posterity of future Fluid 2 owners.
Old 12-05-17, 01:10 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

Because ***** fluid surface tension.
Old 12-05-17, 10:04 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Yes, definitely a reasonable solution. The person I spoke with yesterday wanted $200 for a replacement unit.

I just googled Mobile DTE 746 and it doesn't seem to be readily available anywhere so I doubt people are topping off their units with the correct fluid, let alone exactly 5.24 ounces.
Maybe the intent was never to use imperial units, but it just happens to be what the guy who answered the phone used

Oh, and you can easily use gasket in a can from the auto store to replace the original gasket/o-rings, just an FYI.

Seems like you can get the oil on eBay--a bargain at only $1200! (Or best offer!)
Old 12-05-17, 11:28 PM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hold on,.. So, lifetime warrantee actually means "13 year warrantee"? You must be the target audience, lol.
Old 12-06-17, 12:05 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by dwing
Hold on,.. So, lifetime warrantee actually means "13 year warrantee"? You must be the target audience, lol.
Read the language. It's warranted against defects. That in no way implies the product will last a lifetime. It just means that it won't fail prematurely because a part wasn't up to snuff.

If a weld or casting were to crack, that might imply a defect. But shaft O-rings and bearings are wearing parts, so there's no reasonable expectation that they'd last forever.

But don't take my word on this. Do a search on the internet. There's plenty of documentation proving that a warranty lifetime is shorter than most people believe.

Old 12-06-17, 04:47 AM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycleops has replaced 2 different Fluid resistance units one was a worn out bearing, and was replaced with just a phone call, and the other was a leak and for that one i had to send the unit back in for replacement.. Turn around on both units was less then a week .

I have found their customer service to be top notch. This season i made the decision to go to a smart trainer and the way i was treated by them the decision to go with a Magnus was a no brainer.
Old 12-06-17, 07:34 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts

I also think he converted a metric measure to ounces and expressed it to excess accuracy. 5.24 fl-oz are 155 ml which sounds like a reasonable number.

Years ago when people wanted to argue against our proposed conversion to the metric system they would express US measure cliches to absurdly precise metric equivalents as in: "A miss is as good as 1.609344 kilometers."
Old 12-06-17, 07:57 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by HillRider
I also think he converted a metric measure to ounces and expressed it to excess accuracy. 5.24 fl-oz are 155 ml which sounds like a reasonable number.

Years ago when people wanted to argue against our proposed conversion to the metric system they would express US measure cliches to absurdly precise metric equivalents as in: "A miss is as good as 1.609344 kilometers."
I also noted the 155ml equivalence, and like you suspect that they simply neglected to round the conversion. But i always get a kick out the false precision when i see numbers like this.

The other day I warmed a frozen entree. The instructions said to heat at 350 for 56 minutes. Really? Will it be over cooked in 57?

Old 12-06-17, 06:52 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Could be. I know my O-rings don't work as well as they used to.

Once I get the replacement unit in I may try to disassemble the old one and replace any gaskets, O-rings and seals I find. If I do I'll take pictures, document the process and post the results for the posterity of future Fluid 2 owners.
If those gaskets are weird shapes or not available, you can try one of these liquid gaskets. Obviously it is not re-usable and every time you open the unit need to re-apply. google that company since they have different products for different type of fluids, but eh one linked should work.

For replacement oil, maybe someone can find the viscosity of what they used and find something similar. I'm sure it is some standard hydraulic oil or something. i doubt they have their own oil refinery and chemical lab... they just buy it bilk somewhere.
Old 12-06-17, 08:07 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
If those gaskets are weird shapes or not available, you can try one of these liquid gaskets. Obviously it is not re-usable and every time you open the unit need to re-apply. google that company since they have different products for different type of fluids, but eh one linked should work.
Thanks for the link.

... i doubt they have their own oil refinery and chemical lab... they just buy it bilk somewhere.
I was kind of hoping they would have their own secret underground research facility next to Area 51. Now I'm disappointed.
Old 02-13-18, 01:26 PM
bikeguuy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
leaky cycleops... me too!

Mines about 12 yo and has been leaking for some time. Funny its not continuous, but just sometimes. I called Saris and was offered a Fluid 2 power unit for $99 and Magnus for $499 without proof of purchase. I'm the original owner but for the life of me I can't remember where I bought it.

I asked about the fluid and the quantity. They did not answer. then I stumbled of this thread. Thank your Dr Morbius! I could not find hydraulic fluid viscosity index 46 in a small enough quantity , but automatic transmission fluid type F has a viscosity index of 38 and in the temp range the unit experiences theres alot of overlap. I think my unit has ATF and not the Mobil 746 since its GREEN.

I put some in , didn't even drain the old stuff. Resistance is back ! And seems to work fine. I might drain it and measure the 155ml to see if it makes a difference. I just rode it for about 20 min and so far no leaks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.