Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Canyon as a company sucks. Beware.

Old 07-16-19, 01:31 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
  • VAT reimbursement is a voluntary service provided by Canyon. No legal claim exists to this service.
  • VAT reimbursement is only possible on orders to Germany, Belgium, Italy, Austria, Denmark or the Netherlands. For the Netherlands, you have to follow a special procedure – please contact our partner in the Netherlands in advance.
https://www.canyon.com/en-mu/customer-service/faq/ Sounds like OP should have got the bike delivered to Germany and unfortunately received some misleading advice from Canyon staff who probably weren't as informed as they should have been.

Last edited by smarkinson; 07-16-19 at 09:25 PM.
Likes For smarkinson:
Old 07-16-19, 01:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Yeah, how dare those possibly rich people on the internet complaining about paying more not being able to pay less.
fify

Originally Posted by jadocs
Implying that the OP is somehow less worthy because of his finances and where he chooses to live is very liberal I must say.
Contextual comprehension is key - my comment was in regards to his complaints of limited buying options in India with the implication that delivery during international vacation was virtually his only option. That's not a terribly compelling "woe is me" story.

Further, the website FAQ clearly state:

• VAT reimbursement is a voluntary service provided by Canyon. No legal claim exists to this service.
  • VAT reimbursement is only possible on orders to Germany, Belgium, Italy, Austria, Denmark or the Netherlands.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-16-19, 01:45 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
OK that broke me up
Old 07-16-19, 02:23 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
  • VAT reimbursement is only possible on orders to Germany, Belgium, Italy, Austria, Denmark or the Netherlands. For the Netherlands, you have to follow a special procedure – please contact our partner in the Netherlands in advance.
https://www.canyon.com/en-mu/custome...ice/faq/Sounds like OP should have got the bike delivered to Germany and unfortunately received some misleading advice from Canyon staff who probably weren't as informed as they should have been.
Right. So the issue is that a VAT refund isn't possible in the OP's situation because of the VAT-refund rules (France isn't a country he could send the bike to).

So, Canyon has a rep who provided inaccurate information that is inconsistent with its stated policies/guidance on its website. So the question is whether Canyon should as a matter of goodwill credit back an amount equal to the paid VAT amount based on the rep's inaccurate statements or adhere to its stated policies. I don't think there's a legal claim here, given what the website says, but I'm not a German or French lawyer. I have no idea where OP's credit card is from and what rules apply.
Old 07-16-19, 03:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Venting is thought to be good for those who feel they've been mistreated. It doesn't matter whether the mistreatment is real or imaginary. They feel better having vented. BF in their wisdom corral the vents in this remote area. Thanks BF!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-16-19, 06:15 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
The correct answer should have been "we think you can get a refund but check yourself".
The correct question should have been "where can I find out about tax refunds?".
Old 07-16-19, 06:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
Right. So the issue is that a VAT refund isn't possible in the OP's situation because of the VAT-refund rules (France isn't a country he could send the bike to).

So, Canyon has a rep who provided inaccurate information that is inconsistent with its stated policies/guidance on its website. So the question is whether Canyon should as a matter of goodwill credit back an amount equal to the paid VAT amount based on the rep's inaccurate statements or adhere to its stated policies. I don't think there's a legal claim here, given what the website says, but I'm not a German or French lawyer. I have no idea where OP's credit card is from and what rules apply.
What a mess.

Apparently the OP was aware of the notes on the web page, but had also talked to employees of the company (with an electronic paper trail). In particular with respect to a payment from India.

Talking to employees should trump the general notes on the web page, especially when there was further clarification such as the India/Germany credit card transaction.

In fact, one should be able to argue that this was a German/India transaction, and there was no business transaction in France, but rather simply an intermediate destination, much as if I shipped my bicycle that I own in the USA to France, rode it in France, then returned with it to the USA. Or, any interaction in France would be limited to the final setup & configuration of the bike.

@deepakvrao, was the bike shipped to a CANYON authorized bike shop in France, or was it shipped to an unattached 3rd party such as a hotel? Did any money exchange occur in France? Payments?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-17-19, 01:15 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Talking to employees should trump the general notes on the web page, especially when there was further clarification
This is right. If the company won't back specific repeated assurances or promises made by their employees, any information you receive from any employee of the company cannot be trusted. *None of it.*

I'm in the market for a new bike. I've thought about buying one of their bikes. I was already on alert because Canyon's new trainer ads violate their own warranty. This new incident puts the company on my no-buy list.

In addition to working with your credit card company, I'd probably post to twitter. Companies nowadays monitor social media more than they would an obscure feedback forum. I'd probably emphasize that the company will not back up *any* promise made by *any* customer service employee.

Last edited by RChung; 07-17-19 at 01:34 AM.
Likes For RChung:
Old 07-17-19, 02:35 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
https://www.canyon.com/en-mu/customer-service/faq/ Sounds like OP should have got the bike delivered to Germany and unfortunately received some misleading advice from Canyon staff who probably weren't as informed as they should have been.
Yes, but more than one mail which told me that shipping to France should be OK? Then they have to get their act together.

Originally Posted by znomit
The correct answer should have been "we think you can get a refund but check yourself".
The correct question should have been "where can I find out about tax refunds?".
Nope. You obviously have no clue how VAT refunds work in the EU. It is upto the retailer to decide to participate or not. Every item bought by a foreigner and taken out within a specified period of time is entitled to a VAT refund. Applicable to goods, and not services. Obviously.

Tell me, do you know anything about VAT refund, or did you just jump in to give an uninformed opinion?

Originally Posted by CliffordK
What a mess.

Apparently the OP was aware of the notes on the web page, but had also talked to employees of the company (with an electronic paper trail). In particular with respect to a payment from India.

Talking to employees should trump the general notes on the web page, especially when there was further clarification such as the India/Germany credit card transaction.

In fact, one should be able to argue that this was a German/India transaction, and there was no business transaction in France, but rather simply an intermediate destination, much as if I shipped my bicycle that I own in the USA to France, rode it in France, then returned with it to the USA. Or, any interaction in France would be limited to the final setup & configuration of the bike.

@deepakvrao, was the bike shipped to a CANYON authorized bike shop in France, or was it shipped to an unattached 3rd party such as a hotel? Did any money exchange occur in France? Payments?
Shipped to my rental cottage. Payment from India to Germany. Just like how I get VAT refunds from other German companies, including when I have had items shipped to France, Italy, Spain etc.

Originally Posted by RChung
This is right. If the company won't back specific repeated assurances or promises made by their employees, any information you receive from any employee of the company cannot be trusted. *None of it.*

I'm in the market for a new bike. I've thought about buying one of their bikes. I was already on alert because Canyon's new trainer ads violate their own warranty. This new incident puts the company on my no-buy list.

In addition to working with your credit card company, I'd probably post to twitter. Companies nowadays monitor social media more than they would an obscure feedback forum. I'd probably emphasize that the company will not back up *any* promise made by *any* customer service employee.
Good. If I cost them even one sale, this thread is worth it.
Old 07-17-19, 02:40 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Jesus, if you spent half the time working to get your VAT returned, as you have in this thread, you'd have enough time left over to ride a century or two.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 07-17-19, 02:40 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by WhyFi
fify

Contextual comprehension is key - my comment was in regards to his complaints of limited buying options in India with the implication that delivery during international vacation was virtually his only option. That's not a terribly compelling "woe is me" story.

Further, the website FAQ clearly state:

1. Forget the 'woe is me'. Tell me what you would do if a company promised you in writing, say, a 700 dollar discount and backtracked later?
2. Yes, and because of the website, I asked them thrice whether France wold be OK. I think I could not have done more to stay safe.

Also, if they had given me the right info, I was in Germany the next month. Would have just delayed the order.
Old 07-17-19, 02:43 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Isn't the OP and English-speaking doctor? That tends to open a few doors.
This is besides the point, but no. It does not. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. And, again, besides the point here, but I did have an opportunity to shift to the US about 30 years ago. Retrospectively thinking, I probably should have taken it, but thats an all together another story.

Originally Posted by PepeM
Moving to other countries might be easy for Americans (or not, I don't know) but for us "backwater" folks it is pretty darn complicated.
Yup.
Old 07-17-19, 02:45 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Jesus, if you spent half the time working to get your VAT returned, as you have in this thread, you'd have enough time left over to ride a century or two.
Oh, and I thought forums were created for us to faff and waste time
Old 07-17-19, 03:30 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Nope. You obviously have no clue how VAT refunds work in the EU. It is upto the retailer to decide to participate or .
Tell me, do you know anything about VAT refund, or did you just jump in to give an uninformed opinion?
My bad. I have used the Australian system a few times which is quite simple and done at the airport. The hard part is finding the counter between passport control and security, especially after the pre flight beers.
Old 07-17-19, 06:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
1. Forget the 'woe is me'. Tell me what you would do if a company promised you in writing, say, a 700 dollar discount and backtracked later?
2. Yes, and because of the website, I asked them thrice whether France wold be OK. I think I could not have done more to stay safe.

Also, if they had given me the right info, I was in Germany the next month. Would have just delayed the order.
I wouldn't have asked in the first place. Their website doesn't mince words when it comes to their VAT policy, so I'm going to trust that that was written with oversight, as opposed to CSRs, who are the lowest folks in the pecking order (if they're even within their corporate structure as opposed to being farmed out, which is becoming increasingly common).
Old 07-18-19, 02:58 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Nope. You obviously have no clue how VAT refunds work in the EU. It is upto the retailer to decide to participate or not.Every item bought by a foreigner and taken out within a specified period of time is entitled to a VAT refund. Applicable to goods, and not services. Obviously.
Neither do you apparently.

Guide to VAT refund for visitors to the EU - ec.europa.eu

Can all goods be bought VAT-free?

No. There are some goods that do not qualify. The facility is intended for goods that could in principle be carried in personal luggage. Goods that have to be exported as freight, for example, and cars and yachts are excluded. Some countries may also exclude other categories of goods.
Do I have to leave the EU straight away from the country where I purchased goods?

No. You can buy VAT-free goods even if you are going to be visiting other EU countries before you finally return home, as long as you actually leave the EU with the goods within the time limit. You have to get your documents stamped by a customs officer at the point of exit of the EU – not necessary in the same EU country where you bought it.
Lots of good info in the link above and maybe even a way to still get the refund.

IF, however you shipped the bike out by mail instead of on the plane ride home you might be out of luck. That's not how VAT reimbursements work in Europe.
You would have been better off contacting National tax authorities. They would have the authority to be able to give you the final answer and actually have people trained in this matter.
Hell, send them a message on Instagram and they will likely be able to answer you quickly enough.

I'm still left with a few questions though:
  1. What kind of address did you ship to in France? A Hotel, home address?
  2. How long did you stay in Europe?
  3. How many months after Canyon shipped the bike did it leave Europe?

Last edited by JaccoW; 07-18-19 at 03:04 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 07-18-19, 06:32 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Been in retail for close to 1/2 a century. Recently had a supplier's rep cost me $500.00. When I brought this to the CEOs attention with documentation he immediately issued a $500.00 credit on my account. This is how a RESPONSIBLE company handles things. Sorry this isn't a "tax" issue, it's a credibility issue. OP was given false information by company rep. Made a purchase based (or partially) based on that information. This is an easy CC dispute the OP can win. Now the "win" might be a return for full refund if Canyon will not cough up the promised VAT tax reimbursement out of their profit. Very sure they netted more than that on the sale. No brainer for a well run company. Based on this thread have no interest in doing any business with Canyon.
Old 07-25-19, 01:59 PM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
I am surprised and disappointed at the hostile responses.

Deepak is not evading tax, he is minimizing his tax payments. You seem to be unaware that Indians have the pleasure of paying a customs duty ranging from 40% to 50% of cost of (bike + shipping).

Deepak: As suggested, file a dispute with the payment processor and contact the German Embassy in India for alternatives. Leaving a negative feedback at Trusted Shops | seal of approval, seller rating and buyer protection for online shops may help.
Germany also has effective consumer forums and filing a dispute should help. Google.

Btw, tourists are out of luck with respect to sales tax. No refund.
Likes For anga:
Old 08-06-19, 10:36 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
OP did nothing wrong.

He did his due diligence, asked the right questions, and if the company - who is responsible for processing VAT refunds - gives him wrong information, they should stick to their word and own their mistake.

OP executed a transaction with a company and asked them the right questions, and that company should have been able to provide him the correct information, and failed to do so - on multiple occasions. The onus is on Canyon to provide correct information about purchases from Canyon, including tax implications for those purposes. VAT is nothing new, and they should have full understanding of this, being a European company.

It's not OP who should hold the bag because yet more idiots in the world can't do their god-damn job right, which is exactly what happened and exactly why OP is in this situation.

Canyon deserves to be put on blast for this. I'm sure they did absolutely nothing with the employees who told him wrong information, they are probably telling other people the same wrong crap. If I had a company, and we told someone the wrong thing that cost them $700, it wouldn't even for a second ever cross my mind to do anything other than process that refund immediately and own my own mistake.

Last edited by puma1552; 08-06-19 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 01:42 AM
laternser
laternser

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Question was about REFUNDING tax.

How could any company refund a tax paid to government? Refund implies it was already paid to the tax authorities.

Don't think they could pry money back out of the EU tax system on behalf of you.

Maybe tax payer could by filing the appropriate rebate forms. An accountant may be able to identify the obscure forms required.

20% VAT yipee! Never enough of someone else's money.
By the time you trace this back far more than half of the cost of the bike will have gone into Government coffers by a tax, fee, inspection charge, workers taxes, taxes on imported titanium, environmental fees, real-estate taxes, water taxes, dock taxes and fees, taxes on the tools required to manufacture it, negative interest on the companies bank balance, interest on capital investment, taxes on net, etc etc etc.

The only entity trying to lower the product cost in all of this is the manufacturer, so blame them.
They will be running on the smallest profit you ever saw ... that is why there are very few old bicycle manufacturers.

What Canyon really needs to do is apply for government subsidies and exemptions to lower the cost.
The do after all produce bicycles that lower emissions. Must be a subsidy.
That way they shift the cost to some other less worthy entity.
Old 10-29-19, 05:40 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I sympathize with being told a total price by the company to make the sale, and having to pay another amount. It's like the company falsely represented a matter material to the purchase, and there are laws against that. At least in the USA that I am familiar with. But taxes are really between the consumer and the government and are only collected by the retailer on the government's behalf. It's not really a refund from the company (when there is reimbursement). They're just giving back taxes paid but not collected by the governing authority.

While there is a valid complaint about Canyon giving the wrong information about EU tax policies, I'd have to question whether Canyon has any financial liability in this so I'd really not recommend a credit card "fraud" chargeback. I assume since the reimbursement is "optional" for a company, that the consumer can petition the given tax collector directly for a tax refund. If a refund is appropriate. So that's really just a service that the company can provide, right? So it looks like, if you are due a refund, France will provide it. If you're not due a refund, Canyon doesn't owe it to you.
Old 10-29-19, 06:30 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by laternser
How could any company refund a tax paid to government? Refund implies it was already paid to the tax authorities.

Don't think they could pry money back out of the EU tax system on behalf of you.

Maybe tax payer could by filing the appropriate rebate forms. An accountant may be able to identify the obscure forms required.

By the time you trace this back far more than half of the cost of the bike will have gone into Government coffers by a tax, fee, inspection charge, workers taxes, taxes on imported titanium, environmental fees, real-estate taxes, water taxes, dock taxes and fees, taxes on the tools required to manufacture it, negative interest on the companies bank balance, interest on capital investment, taxes on net, etc etc etc.

The only entity trying to lower the product cost in all of this is the manufacturer, so blame them.
They will be running on the smallest profit you ever saw ... that is why there are very few old bicycle manufacturers.

What Canyon really needs to do is apply for government subsidies and exemptions to lower the cost.
You could research this if you cared...instead of generally griping about tax policy you don't understand and making things up to justify it.

Being a fellow Nebraskan, I do appreciate a good taxation rant...from someone who lives in a state with perpetual budget shortfalls that is unable to pay its bills or maintain its infrastructure....all while wanting to cut taxes more, and then act shocked they cannot pay their bills.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 06-19-20, 08:16 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by anga
I am surprised and disappointed at the hostile responses.

Deepak is not evading tax, he is minimizing his tax payments. You seem to be unaware that Indians have the pleasure of paying a customs duty ranging from 40% to 50% of cost of (bike + shipping).

Deepak: As suggested, file a dispute with the payment processor and contact the German Embassy in India for alternatives. Leaving a negative feedback at Trusted Shops | seal of approval, seller rating and buyer protection for online shops may help.
Germany also has effective consumer forums and filing a dispute should help. Google.

Btw, tourists are out of luck with respect to sales tax. No refund.
Visitng the forum after a long time

Thanks @anga. Yes, duty in india is 50% on cost of bike plus shipping, and I did nothing wrong/illegal.
Originally Posted by puma1552
OP did nothing wrong.

He did his due diligence, asked the right questions, and if the company - who is responsible for processing VAT refunds - gives him wrong information, they should stick to their word and own their mistake.

OP executed a transaction with a company and asked them the right questions, and that company should have been able to provide him the correct information, and failed to do so - on multiple occasions. The onus is on Canyon to provide correct information about purchases from Canyon, including tax implications for those purposes. VAT is nothing new, and they should have full understanding of this, being a European company.

It's not OP who should hold the bag because yet more idiots in the world can't do their god-damn job right, which is exactly what happened and exactly why OP is in this situation.

Canyon deserves to be put on blast for this. I'm sure they did absolutely nothing with the employees who told him wrong information, they are probably telling other people the same wrong crap. If I had a company, and we told someone the wrong thing that cost them $700, it wouldn't even for a second ever cross my mind to do anything other than process that refund immediately and own my own mistake.
Absolutely

Originally Posted by laternser

VAT refunds are a known thing. I ALWAYS get VAT refunds from reputed dealers like Bike24 etc. Same way. I get my stuff shipped to Italy/France/Spain/Germany etc, and get the invoice stamped when I depart the EU. Mail the invoice to them and the refund the VAT.

VAT accounts are ongoing, so the refunded amount will be offset against their next VAT payment to the government, is how it works. I think.

Anyway, long and short, I was refunded 400 dollars as a 'goodwill' gesture. Not 700, but better than nothing. Took ages to get the refund too.

Last edited by deepakvrao; 06-23-20 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 08:03 AM
MrJames67 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I'm with you, Deepak. If I give out false or misleading information rather than saying "I'm, not sure, go ask so and so," then I am responsible.
Likes For MrJames67:
Old 08-15-20, 11:06 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
If I cost them even one sale, this thread is worth it.

Well, shoot... I’ve only bought TWO bikes from Canyon this year. I wish I had seen this thread a long time ago, because I could have avoided so much joy and happiness if I had not done business with Canyon. This really sucks- I’m a very satisfied customer. Just great. I hate my wonderful life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.