Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Noob Question about Bike Lanes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-20, 08:03 AM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts

So, I'm planning my ride for the weekend, and there's this pretty sweet 20 mile loop near my house that has a bike lane for almost all of it. There's a .5 mile stretch that doesn't.
Being a noob who so far has only stuck to riding in my neighborhood, I'm a bit anxious about riding on a road with no bike lane (I stay conservative on where I ride given my experience level). The speed limit here is 45 MPH.
My question is, would you guys ride on the shoulder here?
Do you take the speed limit of the road into consideration?
I notice there's a bigger shoulder on the opposite side (should I ride wrong way there?).
Or am I being a wuss and should I just shut up and ride on the shoulder?
Just wondering as I don't know anyone who cycles unfortunately.

FWIW, there's a double yellow, so technically, a car wouldn't be able to pass me.

Old 01-10-20, 08:14 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Looks like good visibility and it's only a half-mile, I'd just ride it. I'd prolly haul ass, but I'd ride it.

Caveat: I have no knowledge of the traffic. If someone familiar with the road were to say that it's a heavily traveled road and/or not terribly courteous drivers, then I might reconsider.
Old 01-10-20, 08:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
There appears to be no shoulder there, just an 8" strip with a raised curb and unrideable stuff on the other side. You really need to give keep a safe margin from that stuff, in case you need to avoid an obstacle when there's a motor vehicle to your left, to name one scenario. Others will have different opinions, but what I would do is ride at least 3' away from that raised strip and deep enough into the carriageway to make it clear that you are not intending to split the lane and that anyone intending to pass is going to have to move left across the center line. It may feel dangerous, but it's the safest way to handle the situation in my opinion and I bet drivers are going to be understanding and polite on the whole. Going the wrong way on the other side is a ****ty option under any circumstances and I wouldn't consider it on a road like this with great sightlines and light traffic.

As a new rider in this situation, you are at no greater risk than a veteran. Enjoy and let us know if you don't survive!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-10-20, 08:29 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
As a new rider in this situation, you are at no greater risk than a veteran. Enjoy and let us know if you don't survive!
Lol! Thanks! Upon further review, it's a lot shorter of a stretch than the .5 mile I was thinking. It's more of a quarter mile if that.
Old 01-10-20, 08:34 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
What's up with the trail on the left? I'd probably ride that.
Old 01-10-20, 08:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
There appears to be no shoulder there, just an 8" strip with a raised curb and unrideable stuff on the other side. You really need to give keep a safe margin from that stuff, in case you need to avoid an obstacle when there's a motor vehicle to your left, to name one scenario. Others will have different opinions, but what I would do is ride at least 3' away from that raised strip and deep enough into the carriageway to make it clear that you are not intending to split the lane and that anyone intending to pass is going to have to move left across the center line. It may feel dangerous, but it's the safest way to handle the situation in my opinion and I bet drivers are going to be understanding and polite on the whole. Going the wrong way on the other side is a ****ty option under any circumstances and I wouldn't consider it on a road like this with great sightlines and light traffic.

+1. Yeah, I didn't mention that, but as above, give yourself a margin/don't encourage a squeeze. This is probably most important when there's oncoming traffic at the same time as being overtaken.

Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Lol! Thanks! Upon further review, it's a lot shorter of a stretch than the .5 mile I was thinking. It's more of a quarter mile if that.
Good sprint training opportunity.
Old 01-10-20, 08:40 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by msu2001la
What's up with the trail on the left? I'd probably ride that.
Interesting that you brought that up, as it reminds me of another question I had.
To answer yours, I would take it but it doesn't join back to the road for another 3 miles at which point I'd have to cross over a median to get back to the right side.

If there is a Paved (cement) trail along a route, do you guys ride on the paved trail or on the road? Here is a pic a bit farther down the road with the paved trail on the right. My issue with the paved trail is I don't want to be zipping by at 20 mph with kids and strollers on it.

Old 01-10-20, 08:40 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Let me add that I'd love have that road to ride on.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-10-20, 08:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Interesting that you brought that up, as it reminds me of another question I had.
To answer yours, I would take it but it doesn't join back to the road for another 3 miles at which point I'd have to cross over a median to get back to the right side.

If there is a Paved (cement) trail along a route, do you guys ride on the paved trail or on the road? Here is a pic a bit farther down the road with the paved trail on the right. My issue with the paved trail is I don't want to be zipping by at 20 mph with kids and strollers on it.

Agree with comment above. Looks perfect.

If the trail is mostly empty, I would ride it. If the trail is full of walkers and kids, etc. I would ride the shoulder.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-10-20, 08:46 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Take the lane. Position yourself in the center of the lane, ride predictably, and obey all applicable laws. It's safe and legal.

https://cyclingsavvy.org/road-cycling/

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 01-10-20, 08:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

If there is a paved trail along a route, do you guys ride on the paved trail or on the road? Here is a pic a bit farther down the road with the paved trail on the right. My issue with the paved trail is I don't want to be zipping by at 20 mph with kids and strollers on it.
Road.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-10-20, 08:48 AM
Metallifan33

Yeah, I should add, it is an official bike lane.
Old 01-10-20, 09:01 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
So, I'm planning my ride for the weekend, and there's this pretty sweet 20 mile loop near my house that has a bike lane for almost all of it. There's a .5 mile stretch that doesn't.
Being a noob who so far has only stuck to riding in my neighborhood, I'm a bit anxious about riding on a road with no bike lane (I stay conservative on where I ride given my experience level). The speed limit here is 45 MPH.
My question is, would you guys ride on the shoulder here?
Do you take the speed limit of the road into consideration?
I notice there's a bigger shoulder on the opposite side (should I ride wrong way there?).
Or am I being a wuss and should I just shut up and ride on the shoulder?
Just wondering as I don't know anyone who cycles unfortunately.

FWIW, there's a double yellow, so technically, a car wouldn't be able to pass me.

I ride on this road nearly every Saturday. That little section near Paloma Parkway is never very busy, and motorists are aware that cyclists are frequently in that area.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-10-20, 09:03 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by bbbean
Take the lane. Position yourself in the center of the lane, ride predictably, and obey all applicable laws. It's safe and legal.

https://cyclingsavvy.org/road-cycling/
Don't do this.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-10-20, 09:10 AM
noodle soup

That's not the law here.

"a person driving a motor vehicle may cross the center lane double yellow line if necessary to pass a bicycle and no traffic is approaching from the opposite direction."

https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/...ls/hb2545p.htm
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-10-20, 09:11 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I ride on this road nearly every Saturday. That little section near Paloma Parkway is never very busy, and motorists are aware that cyclists are frequently in that area.
I was wondering if you did!
Good to know that it's not busy (I've only driven it once and didn't notice many cars... it's not like there's a lot of stuff out there).
So do you just ride on the road for the short stretch?
Maybe I'll see you on Saturday
Old 01-10-20, 09:11 AM
Metallifan33

That's not the law here.

"a person driving a motor vehicle may cross the center lane double yellow line if necessary to pass a bicycle and no traffic is approaching from the opposite direction."

https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/51leg/...ls/hb2545p.htm
Ah... good information.
Old 01-10-20, 09:12 AM
noodle soup

It's a very popular section of road for cyclists.
Old 01-10-20, 09:17 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I suggest riding at least a third of the way out into the lane.

This will improve your visibility to motorists, and it will encourage them to cross into the other lane to pass you. I have found that if I am far to the right, motorists will try to pass me while staying in the lane or when cars are oncoming in the other lane. This results in a close and dangerous pass.

By moving farther out, it forces the driver to cross the yellow line, and I have found that in most cases, once motorists commit to crossing, they tend to go really far over the yellow line.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 01-10-20, 09:24 AM
noodle soup

I was wondering if you did!
Good to know that it's not busy (I've only driven it once and didn't notice many cars... it's not like there's a lot of stuff out there).
So do you just ride on the road for the short stretch?
Maybe I'll see you on Saturday
I have an 8" reddish grey goatee, so I'm easy to recognize.

Paloma Parkway and DV is 20 miles into our route. We usually travel east on Dove Valley, South on Cave Creek, and then head back west on Deer Valley..
Old 01-10-20, 09:27 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I suggest riding at least a third of the way out into the lane.

This will improve your visibility to motorists, and it will encourage them to cross into the other lane to pass you. I have found that if I am far to the right, motorists will try to pass me while staying in the lane or when cars are oncoming in the other lane. This results in a close and dangerous pass.

By moving farther out, it forces the driver to cross the yellow line, and I have found that in most cases, once motorists commit to crossing, they tend to go really far over the yellow line.
+1.

This gives us enough room, and forces the motorist to cross the double yellow to pass, without pissing off motorists at the same time.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 01-10-20, 09:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Yeah, I should add, it is an official bike lane.
Road.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-10-20, 09:32 AM
Metallifan33

I have an 8" reddish grey goatee, so I'm easy to recognize.

Paloma Parkway and DV is 20 miles into our route. We usually travel east on Dove Valley, South on Cave Creek, and then head back west on Deer Valley..
Nice! I'm planning on doing that exact thing. How is the stretch Southbound on Cave Creek around Jomax (where the shoulder narrows a bit?) People drive fast on Cave Creek, so I was a bit concerned about that... but it's encouraging to know other cyclists do it!
Old 01-10-20, 09:56 AM
noodle soup

Nice! I'm planning on doing that exact thing. How is the stretch Southbound on Cave Creek around Jomax (where the shoulder narrows a bit?) People drive fast on Cave Creek, so I was a bit concerned about that... but it's encouraging to know other cyclists do it!
Cave Creek is fine until you get south of Deer Valley, then it becomes a business area, and the road is often congested..
Old 01-10-20, 10:15 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Don't do this.
Your logic is overwhelming.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.